M116A2 build

rraulston7

So I purchased an M116A2 trailer and thought it would be a good basis for an overland rig. I think it is and Ill tell you why. Overbuilt is an under statement. I began by disassembling and sand blasting the frame and steel top. After a brief education on the breaking system, I removed it. All of it. Weight savings were over 100 Lbs., probably 150.

Attachments

rraulston7

Once it was cleaned up, I figured out a way to replace the removed military hitch system. I also welded on a jack. Notice the placard indicating 740 pounds. My guess is now were at 600 or so. When I lift my jeep, I will be able to adjust the hitch and keep the trailer level...

Attachments

rraulston7

So after everything was individually painted, I reassembled it with all new hardware. That's about $160 worth of paint and primer. Ill address the wheels later. It sucks they are 8-lug. Notice I started on the steel frame....

Attachments

Recommended books for Overlanding

Dreaming of Jupiter
by Ted Simon
From $18.09
999 Days Around Africa: The Road Chose Me
by Dan Grec, Dan Grec
From $19.95
Tschiffely's Ride: Ten Thousand Miles in the Saddle from ...
by Aimé Tschiffely
From $10.99
Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why
by Laurence Gonzales
From $9.99
4WD Driving Skills: A Manual for On- and Off-Road Travel
by Vic Widman
From $17.27

rraulston7

Well, I have had a big case of "paralysis by analysis". Things are starting to add up in weight. And, I was never happy with the 74 inch width. So off with the top and a trip to the metal store... Lots of expensive 6061-T6. .100 floor, the square is 1.5x1.5x1/8. Its beyond sturdy now and once I skin it, it will be structurally sound. One interesting note. I needed a wheel bearing set as one hub was discolored. The trailer store indicated it was a 9K axel. I found no markings on the tube, the he seemed to know exactly what it was. Weight? Who knows. The top was heavy gauge steel. I bet there went a good 200 pounds. Now it feels more in proportion. Ill have it skinned in a week or so. Most of the ideas here came from other posters who took the time to post! I figured if they did, I would too....

Attachments

DMax82

Looking great! I have a M116a3 and am not sure what to do with it. Have considered mounting a utility truck bed.

rraulston7

No updates. I had to get through Xmas. Now that's over, I will be attaching the skin. I plan on using 6061-T6. I will either polish it or paint it. The latter is complicated. I found side and top opening doors. Ill add the link. As soon as I skin it , I will add more pics. I am trying to decide if I want to run a standard ball hitch, or the military type. I designed this to have options with the hitch.....

http://www.protoolboxes.com/images/Manuals/ATBCatalog.pdf The doors are about 3/4 of the way down the page....rr

rraulston7

So here we go. Purchased some .050 50 series Al for the skin. I choked. .050 is too thin, but I live so far away from the Steel store, I'm stuck with it. My structure is so strong it wont matter, but I was hoping the skin would add to the structure. It will, but not as much as I thought. The 1.5 inch insulation is bonus material. It will keep the skin from noisily flexing and add insulation simultaneously. I will get it riveted on with the Huck fasteners then the front then sides.

Attachments

rraulston7

Good progress this weekend.....All that's left is to insulate the rest of the interior, Interior siding, Fenders and rear door. A side door will follow. Then shopping begins for a RTT. I'm estimating weight at around 600 lbs. Ill take it to a scale soon.

Attachments

Recommended books for Overlanding

National Geographic Road Atlas 2021: Adventure Edition [U...
by tional Geographic Maps
From $22.46
Drive Nacho Drive: A Journey from the American Dream to t...
by Brad Van Orden, Sheena Van Orden
From $15.95
The Essential Guide to Overland Travel in the United Stat...
by TeriAnn Wakeman
From $64.95
Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why
by Laurence Gonzales
From $9.99

rraulston7

Its been awhile, but I finished. One of the major changes is I traded the Rubicon in for the Tacoma. Twice the tow rating and putting stuff in the bed is nice. My Climateright Central air/heat unit is in enroute and that will make the wife happy. This has been a fun project!!

Attachments

m.reed.1

Its been awhile, but I finished. One of the major changes is I traded the Rubicon in for the Tacoma. Twice the tow rating and putting stuff in the bed is nice. My Climateright Central air/heat unit is in enroute and that will make the wife happy. This has been a fun project!!
Did you have to narrow the wheelbase of the trailer for the tacoma? I have been looking for a M116 near sacramento, but afraid that the wheelbase is going to be too wide.