M109 Camper - Spacial Transformations style

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
I've been promising to some of you that I would do a build thread when we (finally) got started . . . that time has come.
We spent the last year getting to know the rig, sealing leaks, singling out the rears & changing the tranny, re-deucing the sound levels, sanding, filling the floors and painting.
Now it's time to start the build.
I'll start w/ some photos of the inside as we got it,
then the work that we did to get it to this starting point. I say "starting point" because up until now I've only gotten to do the wrenching and tear-outs. All the floor work and painting was Elise's, . . . it is her rig.
Now I get to do some "Spacial Transformations".

The link at the bottom will take you to the detailed photo site. Lots of photos, small on words, perfect for those that don't want to read and would prefer to "just look at pictures".

Some of the things getting changed on this mech monster are;
HEMTT wheels w/ 14.5's
12v add-on alt & solar panels (to power the 12v stuff in the camper box)
Camper build w/ futon couch/fold-out bed, LP stove, sink, desk/work space, etc. (no inside toilet for us, we don't like to crap where we live). So it's low tech/ outside for us.
Back-up & tag lights (other small stuff like, lift handle on the hood, step on the front bumper, things that make it easier for the lady to get up and check the fluids)

Now it's started
09-04-13_01.JPG

09-04-13_02.JPG

09-11-18_07.JPG

09-12-01_03.JPG

09-12-27_07.JPG

10-01-17_01.JPG

Last edited:

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
Guess I need to down size my photos :Wow1:

And should prob post what it looks like on the outside;09-04-16_14.JPG

Last edited:

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Nice! In my younger years, I was the enlisted aide/driver for a COL in the US Army. He had an M109 set up as a coamping trailer (with bed, wall locker et. al.) for field exercises. I always thought it would be great to have one of my own.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Some thoughts...

First...Kudos to you guys! This is gonna be cool! Can't wait to see how it turns out as it progresses!
As for driving that beast...I highly recomend you never put your fingers INSIDE the sttering wheel when off pavement...When those tires decide to turn...they do so on their own. And in reaction the steering wheel will saw back and forth with a vengence! It WILL break your thumbs!! Best thing to do while off road is to just kind of guide it...make little suggestions as to where the beasty should head to...and go slow.
They are way over built and will take a lot of abuse...but upkeep and maintenence can be a hassle. Important, but a big hassle! Glad to see she is "all over it" so to speak. Best way to get to know something strange is to work on it!
Best of luck! :coffeedrink:

thecarman

Just talking to a women on the phone today about the sexism on forums.

Saying someone is "hot" (or "hawt") is NOT sexism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexism
"Sexism, a term coined in the mid-20th century,[1] is the belief or attitude that one gender or sex is inferior to, less competent, or less valuable than the other. It can also refer to hatred of, or prejudice towards, either sex as a whole (see misogyny and misandry), or the application of stereotypes of masculinity in relation to men, or of femininity in relation to women.[2] It is also called male and female chauvinism. "

There may be a more polite way to say that someone's wife/girlfriend/significant-other is attractive, or not say it at all. But it's not sexism.

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
Hotness

Thats hawt..the girl and the truck

Saying someone is "hot" (or "hawt") is NOT sexism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexism
"Sexism, a term coined in the mid-20th century,[1] is the belief or attitude that one gender or sex is inferior to, less competent, or less valuable than the other. It can also refer to hatred of, or prejudice towards, either sex as a whole (see misogyny and misandry), or the application of stereotypes of masculinity in relation to men, or of femininity in relation to women.[2] It is also called male and female chauvinism. "

There may be a more polite way to say that someone's wife/girlfriend/significant-other is attractive, or not say it at all. But it's not sexism.

I think they're HOT as well :wings: that's why I'm w/ `em!
And the rig is getting hotter by the day. As soon as I have some time to find an app to down size some photos I'll get y'all updated. Just spent two days w/ a buddy building a bike rack for the front of the box. Now we can carry our "other rides" w/o adding any clearance issues. It'll keep those branches from damaging the box front as well.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
I was just reading a build thread similar to this , it was on the steel soldiers forum.
I just went a looked , but the pics aren't showing now, so I must have been linked through another site...thses things a sweet and have a ton of possibilities.....looking forward to see how it turns out...:26_7_2:

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
I was just reading a build thread similar to this , it was on the steel soldiers forum.
I just went a looked , but the pics aren't showing now, so I must have been linked through another site...thses things a sweet and have a ton of possibilities.....looking forward to see how it turns out...:26_7_2:

This one is on "Steel Soldiers", the thread is farther along there. I don't have to down-size photos on that site . . . it does it for me :)
Don't think you can see the photos if you are not a member.
Spacial Transformations M109

Spent yesterday, I know it's a day of rest :( , working on our "fuel processing trailer". It'll go w/ us on long trips so that we can keep "alternative fueling" as we travel. Will have to do at least one more day on that part of it. It's also a camp/cargo hauler on these trips.

Don't have time to rest, let alone sort my photos right now, will be updating as I have time.

Last edited:

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
As for driving that beast...I highly recomend you never put your fingers INSIDE the sttering wheel when off pavement...When those tires decide to turn...they do so on their own. :coffeedrink:

Yep, it's called "Thumbs Up" driving!:snorkel: Just about any older rig without power steering will do this. Best to keep your thumbs 'up'.

There are a couple power steering solutions for the Duece&1/2's out there.

Project is looking great!! Having a 'fuel trailer' along is excellent!

Most of the M35's were 'Multi fuel' rigs, so they'll run on just about anything that will combust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94