M109 Camper Completed

armyrv

Observer
My comment about the highway was more geared to the idea that this is a truck that doesn't appear destined for long, droning, cross country interstate driving, rather, surface streets or overland, taking in the scenery, etc..

BTW, when the Zombies hit, swing thru Ohio on your way south, I'll try to follow you south!

Actually, 95% of the time, these trucks are on the highway with the military. You see them on the highways in the US and Canada all the time. They are the main supply trucks that get the stuff and people to where they need to go. The military still uses these exact same type of trucks today, and I am sure there are at least a couple hundred on the highways at any one time.

No problem on stopping by when the zombies hit. I am sure I will already have a fleet while driving by and one more set of hands and eyes always helps in the fight against the zombies :ylsmoke:

Jesusgatos:
I'd love to put a 109 box on our M35A2, but the truck's real owner (My dad) isn't 100% for it. And if I was gonna do that, I'd probably do it on a A3 and deal with the CTIS. Nice trailer BTW.

Armyrv: Good to see you on the site. Welcome aboard!
Now, I'd like to make statements on my prior statements. The multi-fuel engines CAN be run on diesel plus "additives", but like you say, they can harm the engine and extreme care must be taken if one wanted to do such things. The mileage isn't that bad considering the vehicle size and weight.

I've never considered 55 horribly slow, but were I live, any good places to take a camper like at are 3 hours by highway in car. But excellent point about the journey being most of the trip.

One question, how hard is it to find the roof rack anyways, I've never seen one for sale?

Some people run the multi-fuel engines on pretty much any garbage they can find. There are even a few that run 75-80% used motor oil to 25-20% desiel. So yes it can be done, and some have been doing it for years, but I plan on keeping my truck for a while and actually care about the condition of the engine. If I were stuck somewhere and couldn't get a tank of diesel, I would use something else like gasoline, kerosene, used oil, or even paint thinner (yes you can put paint thinner in the fuel). But you can bet your butt that as soon as I could get some clean diesel again I would. Afterwards I would give it a complete maintenance job (cleaning out fuel tank, change all 3 fuel filters, change oil and oil filter, etc).

I guess the one good thing about the multi-fuel engine being able to take all the different types of "fuel" is that it could get you out of a bad situation (ie. no diesel around, or the quality of the local fuel is in question, etc) until you can get back to somewhere with the right stuff. Like having to get away from the zombies quickly. lol

The roof rack I have is from a Canadian MLVW, but there are a few US M35's that had them. Though I doubt anyone in the US with one will part with it as they are pretty rare. I can buy them up here from a company that is parting out some MLVW's. Probably easier/cheaper to build one yourself though. Here are the Canadian military instructions on building your own. And yes, it will fit on a US M35 without a problem.

Right click and select "Save Link As..." or "Save Target As..." to save the file to your computer:

http://www.militarytrucks.ca/Files/FabricationAndInstallOfStowageRackMLVW.pdf

ArmyRV, I love your build. That thing is just too cool for words. If Mad Max had an RV, it would be your truck for certain. Love it!

Thanks. I am sure MadMax would have made it look a little cooler though. But I am working my way there.

Ironduff

Observer
If any of y'all are ever in the Fort Knox, KY, area, stop by the Patton Museum at the edge of the base. They've got his jeep & staff car he had his fatal wreck in. But they've also got his WWII 'mobile office' / sleeping quarters on a duece and a half (at least I think it's a duece and a half). There's also a good selection of WWI, WWII, and cold war armor, including a few German tanks & SPG's.

Jim H.

armyrv

Observer
I thought I would post some updated pictures of the project if anyone is interested. I haven't had the time to update the website project page, but here are the pictures. Hope you like them.

Edit: Sorry links for pictures are broken. But you can always see them on the website.

Last edited:

armyrv

Observer
The rest of the pictures including some of the newest install. A HDTV antenna for the LCD TV:

Edit: Sorry links for pictures are broken. But you can always see them on the website.

Last edited:

DT75FLH

Adventurer
Fantastic job on the build.....read the whole thing last night. (not easy on dial up LOL)

a couple quick questions.

did you ever figure out a spot for the holding tanks?

did you connect them up yet?

if you have , do you have any pics?

Thanks

armyrv

Observer
Thanks for the comments. I really do enjoy the truck.

I have the waste water tank mounted between the frame rails under the truck. Sorry but I never took pictures of the install, and the best I could do is to take a picture of the bottom of the tank if you want. Was a little hard trying to find a spot due to all the stuff under there and trying to keep the original ground clearance.

I still have more plans for the truck, but I think this is what I will stick to at the moment. The next step will likely be a set of solar panels and a battery system to go with it. But like anything, funds are not unlimited, so it will have to wait until the piggy bank fills back up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles