M101A2 Trailer Purchase & Project

Muy Grande

I think I got it........just read everything. I've got a trailer and want to eliminate all the junk and heavy military tires (those things must weigh close to 150 lbs each no joke).

1. Dexter 3500lb axles in 62" width with 3" tube and cut off the lower spring perches/shock mounts.
2. 43.25" perch width is perfect and order it with the upper spring perches which were perfect.
3. All-Pro or Spidertrax 1.25" Hub Centric Spacers, total axle length w/ 1.25” spacers I 64.50".

Thanks man....going to town on this in the next few weeks.

What did you use to sand down the trailer.....Harbor Freight has some cheap $10 sanders and was thinking of picking up 2 to knock it out and rattle can the trailer. My frame is solid and already painted Black. Trailer is white but want to change the color and I want to Rino Line it.

J

TexasFJ

Observer
Been awhile but about to get started on this again, somewhat out of necessity. No my wife didn't kick me out... :)

I've been using the trailer quite often for normal hauling needs. Very happy with it...very. My FJ pulls it anywhere I want to go without issue. Used it at the Texas Toyota Jamboree.

2012-04-20_19-17-34_953.jpg

2012-04-20_18-57-42_34.jpg

Seems I developed some Thyroid cancer and they had to remove my thyroid, all of it, they believe they caught it and removed it all in time but to make sure I have to take the silver bullet and ingest a radiation saturated salt pill in a few weeks. Mark, your wife went through this so you know what I'm talking about. I've got a Mombasa 9010 RTT purchased and and am trying to get a quick mount done with the help of some buddies...since I haven't had any thyroid in my system for 4 weeks, I'm worthless right now, in preparation for this event. I have to quarantine myself afterwards for 4-5 days since we have a 9 mo old boy now...and even then for another week or more I can't even touch him or his stuff...plus keep a reasonable distance. Don't want to kill off his thyroid in the process.

So, if there is a way to pull this off I'm going to mount this up, tank up some water, my generator and maybe an outdoor shower along with my cookware and what not and go be one with the critters for several days around the first week of deer season in November. Hopefully I'll have enough left in me to do so. Luckily I can start taking thyroid immediately after the pill so maybe I'll come back to life pretty fast.

So.. gotta:

1. Figure out a quick mount for the RTT, can be temporary for now.
2. Finish my tailgate cables.
3. Remount my landing leg.

Get a shower bought, some of this has to do with me being able to decontaminate from day to day.

I have a killer expedition cowboy bedroll (huge), a great generator if I need to take it (brand new 5500 Honda), plenty of water hauling capability as well as fuel. Load up 3 coolers, 2 with food/drinks and the third with ice only. I have my Coleman camp stove and a half dozen propane canisters. Thinking about grabbing a Nexgrill portable and using my big tank with it maybe.

What else does a man need...well besides a handful of weapons of course and a few sharp knives!

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Brad:

That Thyroid stuff is rough i am praying for you to be all clean!
take your time with things " makes you feel like 10 rounds with a prize fighter"

how about a rack that slips in the stake pockets for now, that would be aesy enough to fab out.
Keep us posted on how you are and how the build is going.

Good thing is you won't need a lantern " you will probably glow in the dark"

Mark

TexasFJ

Observer
Brad:

That Thyroid stuff is rough i am praying for you to be all clean!

Good thing is you won't need a lantern " you will probably glow in the dark"

Mark

Me and you both! The side affects of not having a thyroid are...ummm, undesirable to say the least. Like having a bad flu without the snot, and oh yeah, no memory or cognitive functions (or as I call it, NTD, No Thyroid Duh). Random cramps, every joint in my body hurts half the time, sleep at all hours, etc etc etc. I feel like a bitchy old woman.

Yeah.. had a few of my life long buddies wondering aloud if I would stand out in a night vision scope or just a regular scope would do. I told them to ******** or I'd go spit in their coffee so they could experience it for themselves. What are friends for?

Deal is done on the RTT, picking it up Friday. I think it will be an easy mount using the bows that came with the trailer. I have to remove the lower legs and only use the mids and uppers...and of course the cross bars. May have to pin them but we'll see.

Had a sudden and very odd burst of energy today so managed to at least tidy up the garage a bit so I can function. Got a few buddies coming over tonight to help me unload some heavy equipment I have in the trailer. If I'm lucky I'll get my landing leg mounted tonight then work on the tailgate cables.

Simple things are a bit more complex right now but I'll get it done.

Operation Glow in the Dark is a go!

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Bringing Brads build back up.

Wondering how it turned out and how you are doing?
Ready to start back on my build and finish / change some things.
What have you added?

TexasFJ

Observer
Well.. apparently it takes more than this thyroid cancer to kill me, as a result I'm still alive an kicking.

Finally getting my thyroid levels closer to normal. Still not 100% but I'm doing good overall. Go back in a few months to do another rad scan for a checkup (MUCH smaller dose this time) and of course everyone expects it to all be gone. Told my oncologist he better be right or I'll be forced to kick his ***. He has no sense of humor apparently... or maybe I meant it, can't remember squat lately.

Haven't done much on the trailer. Made some new chains with quick links for the tailgate, some better tie downs in the bed floor...and that's about it. Been using it quite a bit though. Got another Toyota Jamboree in May so I'll probably kick out a few ideas before then.

The guy backed out on me on the RTT right before I was leaving to go get it. That was much appreciated. Used my dome tent and was pretty much catatonic for 5 days, sat in my camp chair and stared at the fire.
%u0025255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Watched deer run by, just had no energy to even think about skinning a deer. That was just what I needed and the trailer was super handy to have there.
%u0025255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Thanks for bringing the thread up, give me some motivation to go work on it a bit.

Oh.. my boy is 15 mo old now and he already loves to get out and 'help' Dad work on stuff so I'm building him his own trailer inspired wagon.

Found me an old rusted Radio Flyer wagon, stripped it down and primed. It's getting the same Iceberg white this weekend then Linexing the bed. Bought me some adapters to mount gokart wheels with some 15" turf tires and 'fabricated' a small lift for it. Should look just like the FJ and M101 afterwards.

IMG_20130318_213838_039.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Glad to hear you are getting back to normal.

Great minds think alike. I lifted a Radio flyer with 3" abs spacers, added Harbor Freight dolly wheels
and painted it Pumpkin Orange " Wicked Wagon" in vinyl letters on the side.

Post pictures when you are done.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
The planets aligned and it quit raining long enough for me to get the bed mounted and what not. Pulls great, rides smooth and not bouncy (had about 300lbs in it) sits just a touch nose high which is good. Axle width with spacers is perfect. LED tail lights work great. The FJ doesn't even know it's back there. Backs up so much easier. Much lighter on the nose now, I can move it around one handed like it weighs a few hundred pounds. Now to deal with paint and bedliner.

Here's a few pics, I'll take some more in the next few days.

View attachment 90781

View attachment 90782

View attachment 90783

View attachment 90784

Now it will get a little more fun.

Brad,

How does it tow when heavy since you removed the surge brake?

Thanks,

Ken

TexasFJ

Observer
Looking for an update on the build :Wow1:

Not much happening just yet. I'm sure I'll be doing a few things after the first of the year.

Brad,

How does it tow when heavy since you removed the surge brake?

Thanks,

Ken

Tows great. I've had around 1000lbs in it. Tows straight and smooth. Emergency stops might get exciting under the wrong conditions but under normal, even spirited driving, it tows and stops beautifully.

Latest and greatest pic.

Attachments

• snoop with trailer.jpg
    snoop with trailer.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 74

RagnarD

Adventurer
Good looking build Brad. I am in Weatherford with a a few toddlers that are fans of military trailers as well. Let me know if you need a hand with some fab work for your rtt support.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Awesome. Not sure how I feel about the loss of trailer brakes for my potential uses but glad it is working for you. In fact, you application and comments made me think that perhaps some of the herky-jerky motion of the 101s I've towed would be taken away with the omission of the surge brakes.

Another question, how does the trailer articulate in rough terrain, or have you tried it yet? Miss the pintle tow?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier