M101A2 "Copycat" Camper Build

Ol' Veteran

I've taken the leap and purchased a M101A2 trailer and Knapheide Knap Kap to make into a "Adventure Camper". I have had the trailer a few weeks and I'm making some progress. I've sandblasted the frame and outside of the cargo box. Painted the frame and underside of the box with black epoxy primer. Outside of the box with gray epoxy primer. New 265/75-16R AT tires and Monroe shocks. Purchased the Knap Kap in SC. Modified the military 24 volt lights to 12 volt led and a 7 pin rv plug. Removed the serge brake and lunette ring. Added a 2x3x1/4 inch tube 24 inch long with a 3 position 7 ton lunette ring hitch. Hopefully more updates to come!

Last edited:

Ol' Veteran

Finally had enough time to drive to Liberty SC to pick up the work truck enclosure. Drilled a couple of holes, bolted it to the trailer, strapped the rear doors shut and hauled it 3 hours back to NC. Looks like a little modification will be needed to make the rear doors fit and still keep the tailgate. 20210820_171131_HDR~2.jpg20210820_171233~2.jpg20210820_171214~2.jpg

Ol' Veteran

Nice work! That looks like a great alterative to the very expensive adventure trailers out there.
Thanks! Although it's still not very inexpensive to build one of these. $'s quickly add up! I saw another member's build and liked the way it looked. He calls it "Serenity". I didn't want a rooftop tent so we plan on sleeping in ours. I'm trying to make it nice and comfortable for my wife. (I would hate to have to find a girlfriend to go camping with me.)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz