m101a1 Build for my YJ

The_Goob

So I'm new here, recently I purchased a m101 trailer in decent shape. Currently I'm in the brainstorming, planning and parts acquisition stage.
I'm also in the middle of swapping larger axles into my Jeep YJ which will be the primary vehicle pulling this trailer, Although I have a 2009 Silverado I can use as well if I need more space or the whole family.

I will be shedding the stock axles and tires in lieu of a dexter 8 lug electric brake axle. I will be running 37" humvee tires on the jeep and trailer( not sure on the wheels yet they have way too much backspace/offset for my application.

I have not yet decided on which RTT I will be purchasing, not made of money so it will have to be on the lower end. I briefly thought about starting with a truck utility/work topper and adding the tent later but im not sure I want the extra weight that comes with that. I think I will be fabbing up my own rack for the tent and mounting some basics, get the thing usable and then go out and camp for awhile in it so I can learn over time what I want in the trailer and where.

Open to suggestions on tents for sure, or in general

Attachments

• 28b19adb2c84dc860417b88bcf289a05.jpg
    28b19adb2c84dc860417b88bcf289a05.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 69
  • f72fa718446a7c7cd47338ee893a8e53.jpg
    f72fa718446a7c7cd47338ee893a8e53.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 67

The_Goob

Wow! That’s a lot of trailer at 1340lbs empty for a YJ with a 2000lbs towing capacity.
its getting 3/4 ton axles with 5.13 gears itll be fine haha. 4 wheel disc brakes and a bit of suspension stretch. elec brakes on the trailer. and the weight will go down when i swap out the stock boat anchor axle.
I also have a 4x4 09 Silverado that I will occasionally use to pull it(when I want to camp but not necessarily off road)

Last edited:

Land Shark

Do you have the bows and tarp for that trailer? If so, until you get the other goodies you want you can go simple like I did. IMG_1272.jpg

Land Shark

its getting 3/4 ton axles with 5.13 gears itll be fine haha. 4 wheel disc brakes and a bit of suspension stretch. elec brakes on the trailer. and the weight will go down when i swap out the stock boat anchor axle
Yeah! I saved at least 500 pounds when I swapped mine out.

The_Goob

Do you have the bows and tarp for that trailer? If so, until you get the other goodies you want you can go simple like I did.
No I will be building a rack with a RTT.

Unfortunately I have to finish my jeep project before I can get moving on this so maybe I was a bit preemptive starting the thread. I can however post a few pics of what Im doing to the jeep.

The_Goob

Ok so it took me longer than expected but I finally finished the Jeep and took it out for a beatdown/shakedown and it did great. Its finally time to pull the trailer out of the weeds and get started! This first one I do im not sure if I will keep it or sell it, I want a 416 for the yj but this m101 would do well behind my truck! Hopefully in the next week I will have an update!

Heres some of the fun I had with the Jeep!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier