M1010 Expo Camper

Outback

Explorer
Eventually there will a group of us M1010 guys!

Yes Stevo there will be eventually. I hope to be the next member of this Brotherhood soon. We need to start our own forum section.

CUCV GRV, How are things going? Keep up the great work.

CUCV GRV

KJ6ZWQ
Catastrophic failure of Interco tire on the way to BM 2014.20140825_165414.jpg

We were traveling up Hwy 80 towards Reno near Colfax, Ca. I started to feel a vibration then wham we shot from the slow lane into the fast lane. My first thought was I was going to put my rig on its side. I went into reaction mode and used every driving skill and luck I had to ease a gradual S to counteract the swerve. I looked at my girlfriend and said hold on we might be going over. Luckily a semi truck had just passed and traffic was light that gave me room to do this maneuver. The tire was still holding air so we nursed it into Colfax. I am not sure what combination caused the delamination. I have 3 theories

1. The rig sits loaded in sunlight (Sun damage but tires still are pliable and not cracking)

2. The spot where I park the truck that tire has to pop up a curb ( beads take damage from the weight of the rig as it hits the corner of the curb)

3. Over weight ( I doubt this due to my scale reading)

Plaza tires in Colfax got me a new set of treads and 2 days later back on the road to BM (happened saturday night and rain caused a big mess at the entrance so we camped out with other burners.

I have nothing but great things to say about the people in Colfax

Dratwagon

Adventurer
Love your build, I just picked up a m1010 but I'm parting it out for parts, if you are missing anything shoot me a pm, I'd rather send it to than toss it.

ps. There are some pics at my build "SUBURBICON"

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
WOW! That is scary stuff! Having a failure with a big tire like that is very scary. Glad you were able to get it slowed down and off the highway okay and everything turned out well.

superbuickguy

Explorer
Catastrophic failure of Interco tire on the way to BM 2014.View attachment 264669

We were traveling up Hwy 80 towards Reno near Colfax, Ca. I started to feel a vibration then wham we shot from the slow lane into the fast lane. My first thought was I was going to put my rig on its side. I went into reaction mode and used every driving skill and luck I had to ease a gradual S to counteract the swerve. I looked at my girlfriend and said hold on we might be going over. Luckily a semi truck had just passed and traffic was light that gave me room to do this maneuver. The tire was still holding air so we nursed it into Colfax. I am not sure what combination caused the delamination. I have 3 theories

1. The rig sits loaded in sunlight (Sun damage but tires still are pliable and not cracking)

2. The spot where I park the truck that tire has to pop up a curb ( beads take damage from the weight of the rig as it hits the corner of the curb)

3. Over weight ( I doubt this due to my scale reading)

Plaza tires in Colfax got me a new set of treads and 2 days later back on the road to BM (happened saturday night and rain caused a big mess at the entrance so we camped out with other burners.

I have nothing but great things to say about the people in Colfax

I have Kuhmo tires on my H3 Hummer as well, one of the reasons I bought those tires was their lighter-than-industry-average weight capacity. The rub is they have fewer plies on the sidewall of the tire.... which is awesome when you're dune running or snow wheeling - not so good in rocks or with any real weight. On my 83 Chev, diesel, banks truck, I run Toyo MTs because they have a higher load capacity and more sidewall. I ran those same tires on my H3 (Toyo MTs), and hated them because it took an act of congress (okay, driving around for a week at 15 psi) to break down the sidewalls enough to get flex.

Long story, but it gives background as to why I'd say get Toyos - yes, they are substantially more expensive - but you've already demonstrated overloading the tire and its result... how much is your life worth? As another consideration, get AT tires (they also wear like iron - 80,000 is routine with Toyo ATs), and get chains for all 4 wheels...
I love my Kuhmos, but I wouldn't love that issue.

good luck with the turbo, if you need hints, replacement part suppliers, or ideas - let me know... on that vein, get an EGT gauge and a boost gauge as quickly as you can... they will save your motor.

CUCV GRV

KJ6ZWQ
Yeah I went with coopers ats. When i built this rig I still thought in old school terms as tire sizes went 36 inch 15 r 16. not the metric tire sizing so I thought the only tire out there in a 36 with a load E rating were the interco's. my new tires are way better feels more stable only down side iss not as aggressive looking. I will gladly trade vanity for safety any day.

The turbo was installed early in 2014. I already had a pyro before the turbo and installed a boost when i did the turbo. My only recomendation to anyone going to turbo these is to buy a new kit. by the time it was said an done I was maybe 100 bucks cheaper than a brand new turbo kit from banks listed on amazon. Mostly due to needing to custom design an intake tube from turbo to intake plenum and a new crossover pipe.

superbuickguy

Explorer
i got lucky, I bought mine used, complete off craigslist for $300. It came with a box of gauges as well. I paid $400 for new turbo guts - so I'm still quite aways on the "good" side in the purchase price...

CUCV GRV

KJ6ZWQ
i got lucky, I bought mine used, complete off craigslist for $300. It came with a box of gauges as well. I paid $400 for new turbo guts - so I'm still quite aways on the "good" side in the purchase price...

Good deal, I was holding out for a new unit from Amazon. Got an email from Amazon saying it was for sale 2k and by the time I checked it was sold. The used one I got the guy cut the crossover pipe in a place I couldn't weld back together. After a few emails back and forth he refunded me 130.00 for the omission he cut the pipe and the fact it was missing some key components like the oil return adapter and hardware. I also pieced together a new intake tube that went around the alternator. I am going to replace the injectors too soon

superbuickguy

Explorer
are the injectors bad? the only thing Banks recommends with their turbo kit is to turn up the pressure regulator in the injection pump.... their entire installation instructions are online and downloadable... even includes a parts list.

this is just my own experience, so your mileage may vary... but I've replaced injection pumps 3x and not yet had to swap an injector (that means 300,000 miles)

CUCV GRV

KJ6ZWQ
When I replaced the injection pump I left one line loose and found the truck was belching white smoke at idle out of that side exhaust pipe even after i tightened the line. I replaced the injector and it was ok. I also found climbing grades pre turbo I would leave a white cloud of smoke under heavy loads to the point people would drive by and try to flag me down asking if I was ok. I installed a pyro and found an alarming egt of 1400-1600 degrees. Even after installing the turbo I have had to turn the fuel down not up. I was thinking maybe the injectors were bad causing a poor spray pattern, but since I have climbed hyw 80, chugged up tehachepee, crawled up la cuesta grade and my engine still runs I will continue to drive it until it dies and source another one all being fully loaded and towing trailer. I am attributing the higher than normal temps to the larger than normal load I put on the 6.2.

superbuickguy

Explorer
before you spend the money - your timing may be off just a bit. diesels don't like much advance, but if you put the lines not-parallel to each other (advance by one line) - you may cure your issue. Remember the hard lines when you do this, you can't move the pump much at all without loosening lines - that issue is the lines have a coating inside that will flake off if you abuse them too much. You'll know you've got it right if people ask you if your motor is a BBC at idle...

with the turbo, you'll find smoke is just a part of doing business....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles