M1010 Expo Camper

CUCV GRV

KJ6ZWQ
First of all thanks to these forums. I have been snooping a while never felt the need to post until now.

Here is my CUCV M1010 I have been working on for the past year. I hope it is worthy to keep in these forums. I was inspired by Mike's landrover FC101 and since I am getting older sleeping in the tent cot for 3-4 days was getting old (tent cote is still awesome though highly recommended). I started by adding the rear dinnette/ sleeping bed. I am 6'2" and have enough room to sleep width wise. I took a cabinet system from a work truck that was used to mount the sink and storage.

Base Platform ex military CUCV M1010 ambulance
6.2 NA (turbo down the road)
TH400 trans with a gear vendors overdrive
6" Superlift suspension lift
35" load rating E super swampers
32 gallons fresh water, propane instant hot water system/ shower
80 watt solar panel with a dual bank charge controller sends 90% to house 10% to starting batteries
2 X 6 volt deep cycle lifeline battery bank
1000 watt Zantrex inverter
5 gallon portable grey water tank that attaches with a quick disconnect hose
Toilet is a 5 gallon Sea Land 975 ( being a big guy I can say this one works well even after a camp size meal if you get my drift)
Mini Cooper roof pod on the roof for extra storage

Items to be added still

Onboard air (installed)
Fully plumb the propane system ( will be completed with cabinet install)
Banks turbo (system obtained should be installed by end of July 2012) Abandoned idea Sept 2012) installed 2014 way worth it
Mount High lift jack ( mounted on the front bumper)
Install Eurovan camper unit (3way fridge, sink, and stove combo) Installed Aug 2012

Enough of the details I know everyone wants pictures

http://s897.photobucket.com/albums/ac178/tinone1/M1010 camper/

Please feel free to comment or ask questions. This is a work in progress and with out this site wouldn't have come out as well as it has for me. I am no artist but build with simplicity and function. Its not refined but I like it that way.

Last edited:

ExpoMike

Hey man, Welcome to ExPo and to the M1010 Camper rigs. I just picked up one back in Dec and am working on my conversion. One day we'll have to meet up.

Keep on posting up and as always, more pics never hurt. :D

BTW, let me know what you are thinking about doing regarding installing a Banks turbo. I picked on up off Craigslist (almost new) but my big issue is figuring out how to clear the alternator. If you check out my build thread (in my signature), I converted over to 12 volts and have one large J-180 style mounted alt. Bottom one gone. Over on Steel Soldiers, no one has done a M1010 yet, only 1008/1009's.

CUCV GRV

KJ6ZWQ
I put it on the scales with full load of fuel, water, and campin gear.

3500 lbs steering axle
6540 lbs drive axle
10040lbs total

She is heavy but handles her weight good

CUCV GRV

KJ6ZWQ
Mike,

Definitely I go to glammis once a year, but this year we are going to Idaho m1010 staying home on this one.

Mine also has the larger 12 volt alternator on top. History on mine was used by a swat team after the military let It loose. I am so gld previous owners removed the 24 volt system and removed the glow plug controller. I have a push button glow plug system now

shovelbill

Observer
how is the fuel economy with the GV? that is one bad truck.....guy in NJ has one for sale and i keep thinking..........hmm. cheers.

CUCV GRV

KJ6ZWQ
That's a good question, I have yet to order the correct speedo drive gear and had been dealing with the dreaded failure of the injection pump. I installed a new IP last month. I will be going to pismo last weekend of this month will have a base line to go from now I have my iPad gps system giving a more accurate miles traveled.

I will post my results then. I wouldn't be too optimistic. It is better than a gasser but worse than a Cummings or power stroke.

I am definitely pushing to outer thresholds of a 6.2 but I knew that going in

shovelbill

Observer
i can't see why you couldn't get 17-18.....especially when you get the turbo. did you research the 6.5 turbo swap? you have a very nice, sensible and capable truck there.......maybe an ARB up front and crossover steering?

with 4.56's and 35's....@ 65 with a .80% overdrive you should be spinning about 2200 rpm.....get that down to like 1800 and your economy will go up.
i'll keep watching this.

ExpoMike

Cool deal, we'll definitely meet up next time you're down this way... or I'm up your way.

How are you liking the Gear Vendors? I am about ready to buy one and would love to hear some real world experience from a fellow M1010 owner.

CUCV GRV

KJ6ZWQ
The GV is a nice unit that works well with the gearing and tires. As others have mentioned there is a need for finesse when engaging. It can be a jolt. I found a used older style GV unit with the small plate on the bottom not the larger reservoir. I think the unit was $800.0o. GV has a nice rebuild program. I figured even if this one hand grenades the cost to have GV rebuild is still less than a new unit.

ExpoMike

Might want to check into that. Last I heard, they no longer service any "J" type versions as parts are no longer available. They will rebuild/service the newer "P" type. Most of the ones I have found used are the older "J" type and don't want to risk getting something that might not work and cannot be repaired.

I visited their headquarters a couple weeks back and looked at the unit and asked a lot of questions. Liked what I heard so I am going that route. Still hard to swollow spending on a GV what the rig cost me... :(

CUCV GRV

KJ6ZWQ
Indeed, GV doesn't repair the J type. They have a wicked exchange program. I will get an updated price tomorrow on the exact cost. Last time I checked it was still substantially lower than a new unit..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior