M101/M116 Check Those Wheel Bearings!

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I'm working on an expedition trailer build based on a M116A2 generator trailer. This is the same frame and axle as the M101A2 so is relevant to anyone working on those trailers.

I was hoping to swap out to a different axle to match the wife's Nissan Titan 6x5.5 bolt pattern. Other than changing the entire axle that wasn't going to happen so in an effort to save some money for other upgrades I opted to just rebuild the stock axle.

I pulled the left hub and replaced the inner and outer wheel bearings and grease seal. This hub looked in great shape and I could have simply repacked the bearings and moved on. Since I had it apart I went ahead and changed the bearings but am saving the old ones in a ziplock in the toolbox in case of a roadside emergency. I've found having parts on hand for an unknown breakdown tends to keep that part fine and Murphy chooses something I don't have spares for to break.

This morning I pulled the right side hub off and found it wasn't in nearly as good of shape as the left side. There was evidence of water intrusion and the outer wheel bearing was locked up tight and had some heat damage to it. The inner was in good shape so the wheel was turning fine just obviously getting hot on the end of the spindle. Once I got the old grease cleaned out I could see that the outer bearing race was damaged also. I had to order the outer bearings so I'm sure I'll have to order the race as well to finish the job.

When I bought this trailer (and another 116A2) I hauled them home on my flatbed trailer so never had the chance to feel the hubs to see if they were getting hot which is the easiest way to see if something is wrong.

If you have one of these trailers don't assume the military took excellent care of them. Yes they get scheduled maintenance but as they get closer to turn in the less care is taken with them. The date code on the tires for my trailer is 2001 so I'd bet it's been 15 years or more since the military did any work on it. It's been sitting in my driveway for 2 years alone.

Don't take a chance with your axles. It's a lot easier changing them in your driveway (and getting to a parts store for new bearings) than sitting on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere on the way to Big Bend.

Pics:

1) Order of disassembly of hub (left to right)
2) Bad outer bearing
3) Bad bearing race

IMG_5433.jpgIMG_5434.jpgIMG_5438.jpg

RagnarD

Adventurer
Those don't look to bad to me....at least all the parts were there and you had some grease. I have seen some strange things pulling the hubs on military trailers. Don't think I would ever knowingly take a vehicle to former military mechanic.

What did the new bearing and races cost you? You do Timken or chinese?

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Replacement bearings were Timkins and around $25 each. The only race I'm replacing is the outer on the right and it's $27 and won't be here for a week so I'm stalled until then.

You have to remember there's a pecking order in the military. The lowest ranking, least trained privates are probably the ones getting stuck with wheel bearing duty. Also when something gets scheduled for turn in it becomes a parts donor for things staying in the unit.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior