M100 - What to do with it?

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I picked up a 1951 M100 1/4 ton jeep trailer the other day. I bought it sight unseen as it belonged to a friend and he needed some cash due to the whole Covid lockdown. He dropped it off Thursday and while it wasn't as good as I had hoped it wasn't nearly as bad as I feared. He had said there was a hole in the floor and there is - 16" diameter hole and another 3" strip around the entire front panel (and 12" down each side) that had been cut out and poorly tack welded back with scrap metal.

I had purchased this in hopes of restoring it and towing it behind my 1955 Austin Champ. I might still pretty it up enough to make it a decent "20 yarder" or I might repair it and convert it to an overlanding trailer. Just haven't made up my mind yet.

IMG_4496.JPGresized m100a.JPGresized m100b.JPGresized m100c.JPGresized m100d.JPGIMG_3472.JPG

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Nope. Still sitting in my driveway with a flat tire. It's been in the exact same spot as where it was parked for almost a year.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Can you weld? Do you have a welder? Because that’s still a huge welding job. If the frame is okay and your looking to restore it I’d order a replacement tub. I hope you got a title if one is required in your state and a clear bill of sale.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Can't weld, don't have a welder, and the frame is fine. Quarter ton trailer or smaller in TX only requires Bill of Sale to register. I doubt I'll do anything with this other than pass it along to someone else that has more imagination than time.

OldGreen

Find a period correct Jeep and tow it in parades.

Honestly, if you have basic skills and can use a tape measure, it is easier to build a trailer than to restore an old one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier