M100 aftermarket axle for Toyota bolt pattern

Carb850

Over the winter I purchased a trailer which I believe to be a M100. This project will take me awhile but I'm just now wanting to get started. The first mod I want to make is to get it setup to accept Toyota bolt pattern wheels to match my 4Runner. What axle is generally recommended for this application and will I have to run wheel spacers? I'd like to avoid if possible. Also, I've read that Toyota wheels are designed to be hub centric. Does this come into play for my axle selection? I'm also open to the idea of getting new leafs as well. I've seen a few aftermarket options that offer electric brakes. Do most use this feature or skip? Any downsides other than the extra cost?

I'm running stock tire size (265/70/17). Some day down the road I may got up one size but that would be it. I'm guessing I will need some different fenders. Any source to find a fender that will work at a reasonable price?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_4478.jpg
    IMG_4478.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 36

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
Are you planning on replacing the axle, or are you asking if you should? Are you on a budget? Is money no option?

Carb850

I intend on replacing the axle as long as it isn't stupid expensive. Money is an object, but I'm willing to wait and save a little more if it means getting something better.

smritte

I got a dexter axle for mine. 3500#, electric brakes and a park brake. $375 complete, made to my dimensions, ordered from my local trailer shop. If your going to use the 4runner rims, they will hit the hub assy (have read where people had this issue). Now your running an adapter to space it out. I have a 96 Cruiser. The center of the rim is big enough to fit over the hub.

On your fenders, I'm running a 33" and they clear nicely. I did change the springs. It was a long time ago but I believe they were very early Jeep springs.

Cruiser Trailer BB web.jpg

highwest

I thought I got lucky when I found a trailer with Toyota bolt pattern hubs. It turns out that trailer wheels and truck wheels are so differently backspaced that I needed to get spacers to run wheels that match my truck in the end.

Motorsport Tech / Bulletproof Off Road Adapters can do custom adapters for <$200. New axles are not too much more expensive, but a little more involved when you get into new spring perches and whatnot.

Sweet trailer!

smritte

New axles are not too much more expensive, but a little more involved when you get into new spring perches and whatnot.

I found when ordering the axles, I specify spring over or under (SOA, SUA). They weld on the perches. The perches tend to be 1.5 inch's wide. On my new build, I'm running 1978 CJ7 rear springs with 2" lift. 1.5 inch wide and the spring rate I wanted.

old_CWO

Ditto on the 3500 lb rated custom axle. You will want to have your desired wheel and tire combo on hand first so you can more easily figure the proper WMS to WMS. If done right, no spacers will be needed. Quick and effective method: width of trailer tub + backspacing of tires/wheels as mounted + 3" = axle WMS to WMS.

As previously stated, sometimes OEM wheel center holes are too small for the trailer hubs. Easily rectified by boring the center out. Don't worry about hub centric, trailers are stud centric so as long as the wheel fits over the hub it's good to go. One thing sometimes missed is the lug studs/nuts. Toyota is obviously metric and trailer parts are standard. This may or may not be an issue depending on your wheel choice.

Brakes are available at time of axle purchase or added later as long as the axle has brake mounting flanges. (I have never seen a 3.5K without flanges, but I suppose they exist.) Some folks like and use brakes on Jeep trailers and others find them to be superfluous. My advice is start with idler hubs, use it and see what you think. Brakes are easily bolted on if it seems like you want or need them. Always work from the simple to the complex...

I wouldn't really change the suspension on that trailer if it were mine - just fix and restore as needed. What's under there is strong, reliable and all the parts are easily available. No need to reinvent the wheel in this case.

A good place for standard sized trailer fenders is etrailer, but you will probably want something bigger for tires that size. I have compact camping's oversize M416 fenders on my trailer and they work really well for 265mm wide tires. They're so wide and sturdy they double as little tables when camping!

jwiereng

Custom axle is the way to go. Usually not expensive. Keep it simple with minimum number if parts, avoid spacers etc.

I ran into a little snag with Toyota wheels. They use a flanged nut with a captive washer. Regular tapered nuts that came with the trailer axle did NOT suit the wheels and would damage the alloy .

What options exist to relieve this issue?

Change out studs to metric ones and then use toyota nuts?

Last edited:

old_CWO

I ran into a little snag with Toyota wheels. They use a flanged nut with a captive washer. Regular tapered nuts that came with the trailer axle did suit the wheels and would damage the alloy .

This is the problem I was hinting at before. You need either metric studs with shoulders that fit the trailer hubs or standard thread shank style lug nuts that fit the Toyota wheels. Search the forum; someone must have solved for it as I have seen pictures of trailers here running Tacoma wheels.

My resolution was steel wheels...

Carb850

I already picked up a set of 4Runner Trail rims locally for $280! That will give me my trailer rims and a couple spare to put back. I really like the idea of having spares I can use on my rig, if it ever came to that. Plus it looks cool. Cannot discount looking cool!

So I can get an axle for like $350 but wheel spacers are $100. I'd love to avoid that if possible.

old_CWO

You should be able to find custom 3.5K axles with idler hubs for under $200. $350 price range would be with brakes included.

And yes, looking cool is number one rule...

jwiereng

This is the problem I was hinting at before. You need either metric studs with shoulders that fit the trailer hubs or standard thread shank style lug nuts that fit the Toyota wheels. Search the forum; someone must have solved for it as I have seen pictures of trailers here running Tacoma wheels.

My resolution was steel wheels...

Steel wheels in nice solution, especially if you get 7. 4 for truck and 2 for trailer and 1 for spare. I already have enough (9) allow wheels so I am hoping an other member of ExPo would share any solution they have for this snag. Searching the forum is a good suggestion, but difficult to be productive given the depth, and breadth of the threads and posts. Seems like most often the searching turns of people asking the same question.

old_CWO

jwiereng

Still less cost than wheel spacers.

OTOH proper wheel spacers are hub-centric. I think the Toyota style lug with captive washer will not concenticly affix the toyota alloy wheels without a hub ring

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94