Lycan Powerbox

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
http://www.renogy.com/lycanpowerbox.html
https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/38782-never-in-the-dark-again?locale=en

Yi Li from Renogy Solar ( http://renogy.com/ ) pinged me about a new crowd-funded thing their doing. I think it fits our general overlanding I others might find it interesting.
...a better Arcpak?

lycanlanding7.jpg

I have and use a Renogy folding 100w "suitcase" for my two Walmart (JCI) boat batteries. The product performs much better than I had hoped.
From my short acquaintance with Yi I can say that she's truly committed to affordable alternative energy and I expect this new product to be something special.

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
Did she share any specifics in terms of battery capacity, chemistry and available connections? I looked through the links and can't find any of that stuff... Just vague marketing at this point and the potentially dubious decision to crowd fund the thing.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Did she share any specifics in terms of battery capacity, chemistry and available connections? I looked through the links and can't find any of that stuff... Just vague marketing at this point and the potentially dubious decision to crowd fund the thing.

Only:

Yi said:
...it contains a replaceable lithium iron phosphate battery...

I'll try to get more specific info from her next week.
Renogy's products are usually very inexpensive compared to competitors.

I'd love to get a hold of one of the batteries for my trailer and put it through the ringer. I don't really need one of these box-type things for what I do.

plh

Explorer
Just vague marketing at this point and the potentially dubious decision to crowd fund the thing.

Sure is, seams they (as a company) really are not committed to this thing, but why not! use someone else $$ tto fund tooling, design, salaries etc. Its the IN thing to do.

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Or they're a small company that operates on a shoestring budget that's trying to bring nifty things along and charge a fair price...

The solar suitcase I got from them is great and didn't cost a lot. 100w with a controller in a sturdy case for under $250 delivered. Works like a charm.

I don't know them all that well but it seems to me that they're really committed to affordable off-grid gizmos for the masses. They're not "overlanders" so this demographic is new to them. But it certainly applies.

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
Yep, I also have a Renogy 100 watt solar suitcase and think it is a high quality piece of equipment at a fair price and it has served me well. I would also like to see them succeed and bring new and innovative products to market that are relevant to folks here.

I just find the build maximum social media hype with no technical details + crowdfunding to be off putting. The recent debacle with Camp Fire in a Can comes to mind. I came pretty close to being burned (heh) by that one.

Last edited:

Offgridrider

Hi all! The Kickstarter for this product hasn't launched yet, this is a Pre-Kickstarter launch marketing campaign to get the word out about the upcoming launch and products. On April 5th the Kickstarter will launch and all our questions about the product will be answered. The Kickstarter will display additional product images and detailed descriptions of the Lycan Powerbox and all its features.

For those a little skeptical about the Kickstarter and about backing this product, here is some information about the company designing the product. Renogy has been in business for 6 years now and specializes in DIY solar panel installation and off grid living. This will be the first consumer product the company is creating with the everyday buyer in mind. This will be a plug and play product directly out of the box, according to Renogy customer service.

They do have a Thunderclap to help spread the word about the upcoming launch of the Kickstarter campaign for the Lycan Powerbox. Renogy asks even if you don't plan on buying the Lycan Powerbox, please support the Thunderclap campaign to help reach those that will buy it. You can do so by clicking the Thunderclap link above and supporting it with one or all of the three presented options. Renogy seems to be an affordable company that offers quality solar solutions to the everyday person and with our help and support they can bring this product to life!

Source: Phone call with Renogy Customer Service”

1Louder

Explorer
This one is a bit more impressive IMHO and is in production. Still very expensive. At a quick glance I found a couple of 75AH batteries for $800-$1000 so maybe in a few years the price will come down.

he Kodiak - Off Grid Home Solar System In A Box
https://igg.me/at/inergy/x

This campaign has been funded and has stretch goals. They also claim you can use the 30% tax credit at the end of the year.

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
It looks like their IndeGoGo campagin is live:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-lycan-powerbox-ready-when-you-aren-t#/

Kind of pricey... IMHO.

If I'm reading the materials correctly: 75ah LFP battery, built in mppt solar controller, AC charger, 1200w inverter and a nice selection of output ports... that's a good deal at $999. But I won't crowd fund an expensive item. The estimated retail is $1800. Not a good deal, IMO. I like the concept, but LFP just isn't in my price range yet.

dirtdrifter14

I just ordered a Lycan power-box for the $999 price. It was a steal; when that generator comes out in August it will almost be double the price right. Plus I already own a 300 watt kit so I can use those panels to charge the generator up. It says that it will only take 3 hours to recharge the battery. The only thing is, the prices work "first come-first served" so I suggest to get it for the cheaper price now, than to pay the hefty $1800 later.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
It's too pricey for me ---- and I really don't need a product like that.
I'd love to have the battery for my trailer though. But it's still out of my price range.

Maybe Li will take pity on me and sell me a battery cheap....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz