Lx470?

adrenaline503

Explorer
Hello,

I have been bouncing around the notion of getting a UZJ100 and have inevetiably come across the LX470. I have read Slee's 100 series beginer guide and have a good idea what the core differences are, mainly the ride height adjustment. It's honestly more complexity that I want to deal with, but if it is a stable system that is easily removed in case of failure, I'm okay with it. Does anyone here have any long term offroad expereince with the LX470? IH8mud has some information, but its honestly overwhelming. Any first hand experience would be appreciated.

Sawyer

Adventurer
First, the LX470 is a great platform. But that depends on your intended use. If you want to get into really technical trails you will be limited in terms of lift and mods. If you just want to run moderately technical trails and mostly overland....then there is no better option (IMHO) then the UZJ100/LX470. I have a 100. So, I cant give first hand accounts on the AHC. Some people have had no issues, others have been ripping out and going traditional suspension. From what I understand, it can be quite expensive to repair if you were to choose to keep it. Good luck with the choice.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
The AHC can be removed and replaced with a standard suspension, worst case you end up with the AHC switch in the console as the lights themselves can be bypassed. I'd plan to spend a $400-500 more than a standard suspension install if you would like the AHC removed and retrofitted.

adrenaline503

Explorer
The AHC can be removed and replaced with a standard suspension, worst case you end up with the AHC switch in the console as the lights themselves can be bypassed. I'd plan to spend a $400-500 more than a standard suspension install if you would like the AHC removed and retrofitted.

Is there a reason I couldnt remove the AHC and install something like the OME kit myself? Im very comfortable bypassing any wiring assuming I can get pin outs or instructions.

adrenaline503

Explorer
First, the LX470 is a great platform. But that depends on your intended use. If you want to get into really technical trails you will be limited in terms of lift and mods. If you just want to run moderately technical trails and mostly overland....then there is no better option (IMHO) then the UZJ100/LX470. I have a 100. So, I cant give first hand accounts on the AHC. Some people have had no issues, others have been ripping out and going traditional suspension. From what I understand, it can be quite expensive to repair if you were to choose to keep it. Good luck with the choice.

I have no desire to run anything too gnarly, a balance of road manners and moderate offroad capability will do fine. If the AHC was to be damged or fails, I wouldnt replace it. Just run it until it dies then move on.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Is there a reason I couldnt remove the AHC and install something like the OME kit myself? Im very comfortable bypassing any wiring assuming I can get pin outs or instructions.

Not at all, its more complicated than a standard suspension install and the wiring isn't something that has 'instructions' available but its pretty easy to sort out and I'm sure there is some good tech on the project over at Ih8mud. I recently removed the AHC for a customer, the upper shock mounts in the rear are literally a PITA, some of the hardest upper mounts I've ever had to deal with. Between that and chasing all the hydraulix lines, pulling the dash cluster, etc... it easily doubled the time for a suspension install but again its all stuff a competent diy mechanic could handle.

adrenaline503

Explorer
Drove the Lexus, it was nice but no nicer than than a cruiser. The financing wasn't there on this, maybe later the right one will come up.

1loudLX

Observer
leather is different, carpet is different, memory seats, auto down/up on all windows, auto dimming mirrors, better dealer service, better headlights.

all the dash lights can be turned off if you take out AHC, and remove the switch as well. It's not that hard. Leave the suspension install/ahc removal to a shop and do the little bit of pulling fuses and relays and bulbs to yourself.

I've got two.

Attachments

• IMG_2937_edit.jpg
    IMG_2937_edit.jpg
    806.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2913_edit.jpg
    IMG_2913_edit.jpg
    788.1 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

adrenaline503

Explorer
leather is different, carpet is different, memory seats, auto down/up on all windows, auto dimming mirrors, better dealer service, better headlights.

all the dash lights can be turned off if you take out AHC, and remove the switch as well. It's not that hard. Leave the suspension install/ahc removal to a shop and do the little bit of pulling fuses and relays and bulbs to yourself.

I've got two.

Well, I should say that the added features aren't a necessity. A Land Cruiser is nice enough.

1loudLX

Observer
But basically, the thing to do is consider them the same vehicle while you're searching. The LX (or newer LCs) with AHC shouldnt turn you off from them. If they fail, you can just add a OME suspension system like you would normally to lift any regularly sprung 100. That way, until it comes time to replace the AHC, you already have a lift for trails, and can run normal ride high on the road. For me that worked out great until I added enough weight to my truck where it didnt like to go into high mode all the time. At that point, I removed it for OME and have enjoyed it since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles