Lumpskie's 1989 Grand Wagoneer Build

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Where the waggy rusts, I'm not sure you could get anything sprayed in there, because it's between the inner and outer panel. Might be able to do it with the long nozzle used from something like the inner frame rail paint from Eastwood. Not sure how to get between the floor board panels but the fender wells may be easier.
When I redo the fenders on Flip I plan to do some drainage holes, and spray up inside with a sealer, so the next person won't have to worry so much.

Why add drain holes when nature already added, or will add them given the time, them for us!?

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Yeah, that's the thought. Normally these areas rust from the inside out, due to moisture and dirt build up. Give the moisture a place to drain, and coat the inside surfaces, and it should stave off rust issues.
Lots of great products out now, like 3M invisible bra, etc. for the outside paint chipping issues. But in between the panels and the pinch seem areas don't normally get attention.
The hard part is adding drains that don't cause more problems than they solve, and getting in to seal where the two panels join together.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Yeah, that's the thought. Normally these areas rust from the inside out, due to moisture and dirt build up. Give the moisture a place to drain, and coat the inside surfaces, and it should stave off rust issues.
Lots of great products out now, like 3M invisible bra, etc. for the outside paint chipping issues. But in between the panels and the pinch seem areas don't normally get attention.
The hard part is adding drains that don't cause more problems than they solve, and getting in to seal where the two panels join together.

Too bad nobody does acid dip for complete bodies anymore. There was a place in Atlanta YEARS ago that would dip your project then, for extra, dunk it in a galvanizing tank. I think EPA shut all those places down. ☹️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
Can you no longer get the undercarriage oiled? thought that was still a thing when I lived in NH.

Not that you would need to, you own a jeep which comes with a factory installed undercarriage oiling system...called am AMC 360

This is fantastic. Our CJ5 comes with a smaller factory undercarriage lubrication. Its only an AMC 258, but its a small Jeep :) I was always told to not worry if the Jeep was leaking. Its when it stopped leaking that I should get worried.

You may want to grab that sprinkler from an antique market. Find a very vintage one made out of metal, not the plastic ones of today. I don't think the new ones would hold up to heated water. Just a thought.

I always thought using a sprinkler to wash the undercarriage was common knowledge, but more and more I find that's not the case. Here's to saving old sprinklers to save old Jeeps :beer:

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Can you no longer get the undercarriage oiled? thought that was still a thing when I lived in NH.

Not that you would need to, you own a jeep which comes with a factory installed undercarriage oiling system...called am AMC 360

This stuff works killer for rust prevention. It's a once a year treatment, smells rough when applying it, but it works. Though nothing works as well as not exposing the Jeep to the weather to begin with.
d82d0f043d427c73481c0bccfd53cc0b.png

I had my truck oiled this year with some stuff similar (or maybe the same) as what you guys are talking about. Since I've never used it before, I thought I'd use the Tacoma as the guinea pig for it. The thing that really needs attention on the Waggy, though, is the body. Every place where there is a light installed, or where the wood grain meets the wood border, or where there is hardware needs to be removed, repainted and reassembled. Right now, there is basically no rust anywhere. But, 1 winter drive out here would change that. And, I just don't have the time to go through everything to make sure the rust doesn't get started in those places. The best thing would be to find a body/paint guy who can do touch up stuff for a reasonable price.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
This stuff works killer for rust prevention. It's a once a year treatment, smells rough when applying it, but it works. Though nothing works as well as not exposing the Jeep to the weather to begin with.
d82d0f043d427c73481c0bccfd53cc0b.png

You are telling me. I guess some of it missed and got sprayed on my oil pan or something so now after running hot for a while I get that awful smell. Hopping the stuff does the trick to protect my frame from Arkansas salted roads this winter.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
You are telling me. I guess some of it missed and got sprayed on my oil pan or something so now after running hot for a while I get that awful smell. Hopping the stuff does the trick to protect my frame from Arkansas salted roads this winter.

I saw a guy coat EVERYTHING under his 4Runner with fluid film. Smelled aweful and I asked if he was worried about it catching fire. He says "Nope!used it like this every year since new. Truck was 15 years old and looked new.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
The latest adventure was my first New England "Nor-easter". We got over 3 feet of snow! My $165, 39 year old snowblower sure came in handy!

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
I've been terrible in keeping up with this thread. Sorry to anyone who is actually still reading.

To sum up: I had some low oil pressure for a while. A simple oil/filter change did the trick. Then this...

Ok. So, my wife was driving the Jeep up to the cabin to do some work. On the way, she called me saying the transmission was slipping pretty bad. I told her to top off the fluid no big deal. She had some issue with holding the funnel and pouring the fluid so I got off of work early and helped her out. With the fluid topped off, the Jeep ran great and she was on her way. I helped at the cabin for the evening and headed home to do more work on my Land Cruiser armor that night. The next morning, as I was heading back to the cabin, I got another call from her. She said, "This time the Jeep is broken pretty bad. It made some loud banging noises and, when I pulled over, I saw coolant spilling out everywhere." When I arrived at the parking lot where she was, I found this:

So, I'm ordering a new radiator, and maybe a fan clutch and fan?... probably from BJ's. Do you guys think I should do anything else while I'm in there?

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Ouch! :eek:

Check the weep hole for the water pump to make sure it's not leaking coolant through the seal, and the shaft for radial play.

unkamonkey

Explorer
I believe I would change the water pump as well. I'm not sure how the fan clutch hooks to it. A friend was heading off to SLC to see a lady friend in his Charger. Fan clutch went outside of a tiny town in UT on a Sunday morning and he pulled into a gas station and a greasy hippie guy leaned over the front for a look. "Oh, your water pump is bad so that's why your fan clutch keeps going out". Mike was on his 4th one at that time. He never had to mess with them again.

Curly

Adventurer
I agree, I'd change the water pump while I was at it. My thinking is the fan had to be wobbling/out of balance and that probably wasn't good for the pump bearings. Change it while the rad is out and you will have lots of room too.

Curly

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Thanks for the advice, you guys! I hadn't thought about replacing the water pump. I'll take a look at it and will probably get a new one, just to be safe.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
So, catching up on the slowest radiator replacement of all time... I ended up getting a new radiator, fan, fan clutch and water pump.

]

got the old water pump out... man that was a pain! I was surprised by the fact that I had to loosen the alternator mounts, power steering and smog pump just to get the water pump bolts out.

Getting the new one in with the gasket seemed a little tricky too. I didn't want to mess up the gasket on install so I used some tacky gasket sealer.

I got the fan/fan clutch back in and tensioned all the belts.

But, even with the care I took... FAIL.

I'm going to take a day to regroup. Then I'll take everything apart again. Bummed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles