Lug centric spacers size for m416 build

isaac2098

I have an m416 trailer and have decided on a new dexter axle with electric brakes. I want to fit my stock Jeep TJ ravine wheels on the trailer: the specs of the wheels are:
15x8 wheel size
5x4.5 pattern
5.5” backspacing
The wheels are hub centric and the dexter axles are lug centric which means I would have to get a lug centric spacer in order to make the wheels fit, the question is how do I know what size spacer to get, what determines the size? Can use any help I can get with this

dstock

Explorer
I went with 2" hub centric spacers on my Dexter axle when I did my build so that I could run AEV wheels on my trailer to match my JK. I believe that's the minimum width to clear the Dexter wheel hubs and dust caps without modifying the dust caps themselves.

I got mine from https://adaptitusa.com/

My build is in my sig, spacer info on page 1-2.

isaac2098

I went with 2" hub centric spacers on my Dexter axle when I did my build so that I could run AEV wheels on my trailer to match my JK. I believe that's the minimum width to clear the Dexter wheel hubs and dust caps without modifying the dust caps themselves.

I got mine from https://adaptitusa.com/

My build is in my sig, spacer info on page 1-2.
Do you know what backspacing your wheels had? Because if the backspacing is different on mine I think it would differ what size I need. Thanks for the info!

dstock

Explorer
Do you know what backspacing your wheels had? Because if the backspacing is different on mine I think it would differ what size I need. Thanks for the info!

The backspacing on the AEV Pintler is 5.2" but the issue is the diameter of the hole in the center of the wheel as it will not fit over the Dexter hubs. 2" spacers allow enough room for the wheel to sit on the spacer without interference from the Dexter hub. I doubt the stock TJ Ravine wheel center hole is wide enough to fit over the hub but you can measure both and check.

The backspacing affects how much distance between the wheels and the frame/leaf springs and how far they will stick out from under the trailer fenders. When I ordered my axle I took the size of the spacers into account with regard to the length of my axle as I wanted the wheels/tires to ride within the fender well and not stick out much past the side of the trailer.

Also, you actually want to get a spacer that converts from lug centric to hub centric if you are going to use hub centric wheels.

Hope this helps, I tried to go into all of this in detail in the first couple pages of my build as it's the most difficult part of restoring the trailer.

You can read more here:
https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...or-the-reality-i-needed-a-new-project.131919/

isaac2098

The backspacing on the AEV Pintler is 5.2" but the issue is the diameter of the hole in the center of the wheel as it will not fit over the Dexter hubs. 2" spacers allow enough room for the wheel to sit on the spacer without interference from the Dexter hub. I doubt the stock TJ Ravine wheel center hole is wide enough to fit over the hub but you can measure both and check.

The backspacing affects how much distance between the wheels and the frame/leaf springs and how far they will stick out from under the trailer fenders. When I ordered my axle I took the size of the spacers into account with regard to the length of my axle as I wanted the wheels/tires to ride within the fender well and not stick out much past the side of the trailer.

Also, you actually want to get a spacer that converts from lug centric to hub centric if you are going to use hub centric wheels.

Hope this helps, I tried to go into all of this in detail in the first couple pages of my build as it's the most difficult part of restoring the trailer.

You can read more here:
https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...or-the-reality-i-needed-a-new-project.131919/
Thanks for the help! I read your build and really wish you had done an m416 so I could have copied your dimensions, I am having a lot of trouble trying to figure out what size axle I will need if I want to run the Ravine wheels and keep them under the fenders. The stock hub face to hub face is 57" and spring center is 39" on the m416. The frame is basically 41". Do you think buying a 57" hub face to hub face axle will work with my 5.5" backspacing and the 2" adapters?

dstock

Explorer
No problem, happy to help!

I would pull off the old axle and take your ravine wheels with the tires mounted up and place them where you want them in the wheel well, making sure you have enough clearance from the frame and then measure the hub face to hub face. Once you have that number you can then subtract the width of the adapters from the overall length, which if you are using 2" adapters would be 4".

I'm guessing if you go with the original axle length of 57" and then you add adapters, your total axle length will then be 61" and likely the wheels will stick out from under the fenders more than you want.

While it's not difficult, I found this to be the most nerve wracking part of the build. I measured and double checked my measurements many times before ordering. I helped a friend with a slightly different trailer do the same. It really helps to visualize everything placing the wheels/tires where you want them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier