Lucky8’s Project Discovery 3

epiccosmo

Adventurer
Very interested in this build. How vome you insisted on a LR3 with a HD package?
that seems like a missed opportunity as a vendor to me? If you were to build a regular LR3 and push for an aftermarket locker that would be a potentual big sale item? Cant flog what Land Rover already offers. As an LR3 owner you either have a factory rear locker, or you don't have one at all. Im sure having an option to fit an aftermarket unit would appeal to many.......me included.

ARB already offers an Air Locker for the LR3/4. Doesn't make much sense to try and compete with a company of that size and scale with a product that good...

iowalr4

Adventurer
ARB already offers an Air Locker for the LR3/4. Doesn't make much sense to try and compete with a company of that size and scale with a product that good...

I also think that an e-locker, that can partially engage or fully lock, and do it automatically in conjunction with the rest of the terrain response system has value. Having the ARB option is great, but the factory system is more auto-magic.

roverandom

Adventurer
Got a link for the locker?

Anyway, doesn't Justin sell ARB stuff too? Would have been nice to see an ARB locker install and report on how well it did or didn't work.

zelatore

Explorer
Oh yes, I'll be keeping an eye on this! Most everything on your list is on mine as well.

Aluminum bumpers and sliders.....if you can make 'em strong and make 'em affordable, that would be pretty tough to turn away from!

roverandom

Adventurer

Anyway, doesn't Justin sell ARB stuff too? Would have been nice to see an ARB locker install and report on how well it did or didn't work.

Last I heard the ONLY LR4 to have an ARB locker is the OJ unit. You make it sound like loads have had this modification. Does anyone actually have one? I would love to hear more about this.

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
April 4-6, so a little later this year but given last year I think they want to ensure not having the slopes still open. Think we'll be there with both the D1 and D3-will be very interested to see how yours ends up. I think I'm going mild with mine (tires, ARB, sliders/skids) but who knows how long that will last.
r-
Ray

I should be there. Please have the board contact us,

Mack73

Adventurer
I love my 17's. Welcome to the club :p

Thanks for getting this project going - I would love to see more offroad parts for the LR3.

frank84

Observer
Is there any chance of an "off" button for the terrain response and manual override for the lockers? I don't have extensive off road experience with the newer rovers, but I've had the terrain response both surprise me with how well it works and disappoint moments later. Having a manual mode would keep a smile going the whole time.

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
Very interested in this build.

Thank you

How vome you insisted on a LR3 with a HD package?
that seems like a missed opportunity as a vendor to me? If you were to build a regular LR3 and push for an aftermarket locker that would be a potentual big sale item? Cant flog what Land Rover already offers

All of this maybe true but as an enthusiast I went out of my way to make sure I bought one with a locker. We can always add an aftermarket locker later.

I have two things I'd love to see.

A proper body lift for the LR3.

I'm sure this could be done. The downside is the bumpers do not match the body lines.

This is a little out there but it would be fun to see someone brave enough to cut all that IRS/IFS stuff off and do a Dana 60 solid axle swap.

I can hear the gasps already!

That was also my first thought. But when you really look at the Discovery 3 it is not feasible. It would be much easier to transplant a Discovery 3 body onto a Disco 1 frame.

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
Can't wait to see how this goes. Anything to drive or create more aftermarket is fantastic!

I also am very interested in the dual battery and power management mods. I hope to do that soon. I have been looking at using a traxide.com.au kit.

Thank you for the kind words. Ill try and get after this soon.

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor

Yes we do sell ARB. The fronts are available If you would like one now and the rears are coming in soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior