Lucky Ducks those Canadians

Erick Lihme

Observer
http://www.outbackimports.ca/hilux-crew.html

Canadians can get these 15 year old imports from LC's to Hilux with all the goodies, solid front axle, 3L diesel etc. This is the first site I ran into, there should be more.

There are Canadian imports to the US. I'm going to begin, as time permits, to look into what can be had up next door in Canada, even if it means stripping for the parts to get it across. And fortunately a customs officer is renting from me...:) I want one of those 3L diesels.

Anybody from Canada, please chime in if you have any tips on the idea.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Gee whiz... I hope their butts grow together

BUT we should all be very thankful the good ol US of A saves us from the evil of cool cars.

:cow:

Scott Brady

Founder
Major Drool:

06-59-6f_toyota_hilux_4x4.jpg

I wonder why they dont go after the trucks from France, being LHD...

chet

island Explorer
woman in our club has a 4 door hilux. there are other importers besides Outback although they are good people.

The 4 doors are nice because they have a non turbo 3L diesel in them. not the turbo'd 2LTE that is having all the head problems. Hers gets around 30 mpg but is not the most powerful thing.

We have I think 4 or 5 JDM vehicles in the club now. Ranging from landcruiser 80 series, 74 series, prado, hilux and a surf(JDM 4 runner)

There is not many European imports due to most of them bing hi mileage and higher cost of shipping. (the east coast of Canada is not as well set up as us out west to handle vehicle shipping) plus the Japanese vehicles seem to be extremely low mileage and for the most part rust free.

I would buy a 4 door hilux myself but I think they are overpriced at $16 grand CDN. Plus my wife won't drive a RHD vehicle.

Scott Brady

Founder
DaveInDenver said:
What does it for you, Scott?

Nothing too glorious. When I lived in Italy, I drove a white, non-turbo diesel Toyota Hi-lux 4 door with the 4' bed for about six months. Been striken ever since...

Despite the current "neon" condition of my Tacoma, a simple Toyota quad-cab diesel or a 70 series TLC are my absolute favorite trucks.

Scott Brady

Founder
By the way Dave: I know I have told you this in person, but your truck is awesome. It just begs to be turned South until you hit Ushuaia

chet

island Explorer
one thing these hilux have going for them Dave is they are solid front axle still! with leaf springs! the surfs(4runners) are IFS but they kept the 4 doors solids as its a work truck.

If I could get one for around 10 grand I would buy one. the inside is around the same as a 4 door tacoma and the box is useful for.... not much but its about the same as the back of a SUV.

You can get turbo kits from Aus for them as well. that would make a nice truck!

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
If my Tacoma wasn't still a "baby", I would be driving a Prado. There are more and more on the roads here everyday. I think I'm finally getting over the RHD thing too...

chet

island Explorer
hey your right a couple of those are IFS!!! that totally changes things. I would def. not pay the $$$ for an IFS JDM truck. whats the point when like you mentioned the IFS rigs over here are just as nice and cheaper!!! Hell buy a 4runner and you have the same truck - the diesel of course.

There was a couple of importers in Vancouver bringing over gas 80 series cruisers and trying to sell them for double what a gas domestic one goes for!!! ya right guys!!!

highlux

Observer
Not all of 'em are IFS, it was an option. For example, when you are looking to buy one and you want a Hilux Double Cab 2.8D you look at the model code. If it's IFS, then you will see LN107...if it's SFA, then you will see LN106. Someone out here must know how to read Toyota model codes besides me (even though I don't know all of them): Engine code, then chassis code. Land Cruisers are easy, say you have 1997 TLC Wagon (80 series) with the 4.5L engine (1FZ)...the model code is therefore FZJ80. For us canucks we see a 1990 TLC Wagon with a 4.2L Turbo Diesel (1HD-T), and the code is HDJ81. Or say you have a 1990 70 series mid wheelbase with removable top and the 4.2L Diesel (1HZ)...the model code is HZJ73. It turns out that "J" means Land Cruiser. Back to trucks (by the way all trucks and 4runners/Surfs have "N"), say you have a 1985 XtraCab pickup, with a 22RE...the model code is RN65. These codes tell exactly what you are looking at. The first letter or two indicates the engine (3B diesel in BJ60), the letter after that shows what type vehicle it is (J for LandCruiser, N for truck), and the letters after that indicate details of the chassis such as series, length, and what generation it is (HJ62 is newer version of HJ60).

Sorry to bore y'all, but this kinda stuff interests me. Anyways, the imported trucks aren't just renamed NA Toyotas. The Surfs have turbo diesels of course, but can also be had with push button 4WD a la 96-on 4runner, adjustable sport suspension, and coolest of all factory optioned Recaro interiors. For the Hiluxes you can get diesel engines, factory rear LSD, and solid front axles with heavy duty suspension. My truck had 5 leaves up front and 4 out back with 3 overloads.

My box may be small, but not useless. :) I've had half a cord of firewood in it, 1400lbs. of hardwood flooring, eight 37" tires, 600 sq ft of cut up carpet, and 3 huge Mac tool boxes. I love it, plus I can just toss stuff in the back seat or bring along 3 or 4 friends. There are four main reasons I got my truck over a 89-95 domestic NA truck:

1. Double Cab and "versatilier" box, (quote from Tacoma commercial).
2. Diesel engine
3. Solid Front Axle
4. Rust Free condition of a 90,000km (56,000mile) truck.

Old pic
P1080044.jpg

highlux

Observer
Wow, Dave knows a lot more than me, however, 22R? No 22RE? Just outta curiousity...how many miles you got on 'er?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior