Lucinda Build

chiliVANilli

Adventurer
Just finished the thread! I've been meaning to get around to reading it and finally did. Such a cool build, dude! You are in CO, correct? Hope to see it in real life some day!

Thanks! Glad you like it. Yes, I am in Eagle, CO, but hopefully you will get to see Lucinda out and about somewhere other than here.

chiliVANilli

Adventurer
So the brand new fuel pump that gave me issues when I finally went to fire up Lucinda for the first time died on me about a week and half ago. It was an autozone brand, which was the first mistake, so I replaced it with an OEM Delphi model today. Luckily it died in my driveway, not on the road somewhere, but with a full 20 gallons of gas in the tank. It sucked to do replace in the drive way, but oh well, it's done and back on the road!Just when I was getting some of the bugs worked out....

While it was stuck in the driveway, I got started on the insulation. I got a 24" x 100' roll of Reflectix on ebay for $60. Needless to say I have some leftover. Definitely going to be able to double it up.

I also got started on the roof rack, although it was a little hard to do without the van at the shop. I only have the main frame made so far. I still have to finish the mounts for the light bar, and the mounts for the Smittybilt awning, which have both been sitting in the box for about a year. I have to fab some brackets to mount the rack to the van, too, but it has to be in the shop for that, and the front and rear baskets on the rack. And maybe a ladder on the side, I haven't decided on that yet.
20160502_205722_resized.jpg20160506_170825_resized.jpg20160506_170845_resized.jpg

chiliVANilli

Adventurer
20160520_085924_resized.jpg
The van still had some wandering issues, so I installed dual steering stabilizers. It definitely made a huge difference and I will keep a little farther from the ditch. I was just going to put a single one on, but I have found the duals definitely help with the wider and big tires.

chiliVANilli

Adventurer
20160523_175741_resized.jpg
I finally came up with up with an idea for some brackets and had some time to make them. I really never have time, but gotta get things done. I couldn't wait to see if they actually might work and have been dying to see if the rack fits. I also got around to fabbing the tabs to mount the LED light bar. Now I can hopefully find time to mount the Smitybilt awning to it. Oh yeah, and figure what to do about a rear basket, and maybe a small one up front. I like the way rack is looking so far.
20160523_192909_HDR_resized.jpg20160523_192933_resized (1).jpg20160523_193011_resized.jpg20160523_193046_resized (1).jpg20160523_193024_HDR_resized (1).jpg

Last edited:

chiliVANilli

Adventurer
I definitely am going to take her in for an alignment, but I might have made the wandering sound worse than it is. She would just kinda drift a little and get pulled into the worn parts of the road. The dual stabilizers pretty much cleared that up. I'm still going to replace the tie rod ends and any other wear parts to make everything tight and new feeling, and safe. I'm pretty sure the stock stabilizer and ends had never been done on the donor Suburban. I also think the stock van steering box needs to be adjusted, too. Thanks for the advice, and I am always thankful for you guys on here and the wealth of knowledge and experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles