Lucinda Build

it might also be an axle wrap issue since it is under torque when accelerating and then smooths out. I would apply the brakes in gear and have someone watch to see if the rear pinion is rotation upwards (like you are attempting to power brake.) a couple of degrees of axle wrap will cause that vibration and it is common in leaf sprung vehicles. Just a thought.

chiliVANilli

Adventurer
20160124_181130_resized.jpg20160124_180912_resized.jpg
I needed a change from wrenching on the van, and do some making. I also thought the van needed some sort of safety feature as well, since there is only a piece of tin between me and whatever. I didn't really have a design in mind, but we had some 1/4" and 3/16" pate leftover from a job, so a plate bumper it is. And my friend just gave me a 9000 lb Grainger winch. I used the 1/4" for the main winch area and the 3/16" for the sides. I just started building and bending and came up with this.20160130_181054_resized.jpg20160130_180516_resized.jpg20160130_180618_resized.jpg20160130_181037_resized.jpg

chiliVANilli

Adventurer
it might also be an axle wrap issue since it is under torque when accelerating and then smooths out. I would apply the brakes in gear and have someone watch to see if the rear pinion is rotation upwards (like you are attempting to power brake.) a couple of degrees of axle wrap will cause that vibration and it is common in leaf sprung vehicles. Just a thought.

Thanks! That set up was only temporary but got forgotten or put on the back burner. I am ordering new springs on friday after payday. I think I found the right ones tonight, but want to measure again. Hopefully I'm right or I'll have to have some made, which will be $$. I'm sure those big blocks and old springs with only 2 leaves definitely aren't helping with the vibrations.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Just started to read your thread and have to say that is a very good description of Lucinda William's voice - LOL! Just saw her in a small concert a few months ago. Love the forward control old iron vans.

View attachment 327811
I hadn't really thought about even naming the van, then I heard Lucinda Williams, a country singer, with a voice that sounds like she eats cigarettes, and chases with with hot whiskey from a bottle that has sitting on a dashboard in the summer sun, but some how it's pleasing, but rugged.

Vandit

Observer
That bumper looks really cool. I think the proportions are perfect and it fits really well with the van's style. Nice work!

chiliVANilli

Adventurer
That bumper looks really cool. I think the proportions are perfect and it fits really well with the van's style. Nice work!

Thanks!! It might be a little "modern", but it I guess it goes with the modern drive train and other modernization it is getting. I joking call it my airbag.

chiliVANilli

Adventurer
20160206_170115_resized (1).jpg
I put some ebay projectors with LEDs on her. They are kind of cheap, but brighter, I figured they were a little more than the normal ones, so why not upgrade?

chiliVANilli

Adventurer
The rear also needed some protection, not as bad as the front, gotta have armor. I really needed it more for my bike rack mostly. I used 3/16" for the whole thing, and 1/2" for the bracket. Like the front, I had no plan, just started bending and building. Came out pretty good I think.
20160221_144929_resized.jpg
Bumper to frame bracket.
20160221_150018_resized.jpg
20160221_150957_resized.jpg
Phase 1
20160225_183141_resized.jpg20160228_110333_resized.jpg
Phase 2 to follow body lines
20160228_143049_resized.jpg
Side protection added.
20160306_123411_resized.jpg20160306_163140_resized.jpg20160306_163331_resized.jpg20160306_123303_resized.jpg
Finished product with 2" receiver added. Painted it with Krylon just like the front.

Lunchbox2

Explorer
Nice work on the bumpers! It's going to be time to bend up some protection for mine real soon. I've always loved the "pre-runner" look so I've been looking at tubing benders a lot lately.... The downside to that is how expensive tubing is... holy crap.

Do you have a winch yet?

GordoSmasho

Observer
The tank hanging behind that rear bump looks awfully unprotected. Id throw a simple skid over that.

Bumpers look good man.

chiliVANilli

Adventurer
Nice work on the bumpers! It's going to be time to bend up some protection for mine real soon. I've always loved the "pre-runner" look so I've been looking at tubing benders a lot lately.... The downside to that is how expensive tubing is... holy crap.

Do you have a winch yet?

Thanks! I always used .120 wall schedule 40 pipe for my bumpers and saved the DOM for my cages on my rockcrawlers. I always figured I was going to beat on the bumpers and if they got dented or bent, it was cheaper in the long run to remake them out of the cheaper stuff again and keep beating. DOM is definitely a little stronger, for sure.
I have a 9,000 lb winch that my friend gave me. He hit a deer and insurance replaced it with a new one. It works still, and only the plastic cover was damaged and some is missing, so it looks a little beat up, so that's why I haven't put it on yet.

chiliVANilli

Adventurer
The tank hanging behind that rear bump looks awfully unprotected. Id throw a simple skid over that.

Bumpers look good man.

Thanks for the compliments. I have the gas tank skid plate from the donor Suburban, that I am going to use. It just needs to be modified a little bit to fit and is made out of 1/8" plate from the factory. I just wanted to make sure I didn't have to drop the tank again before putting it on. Thanks for looking out for me! This forum has a great bunch of people here that definitely know how to do great builds and don't miss any details. I'm thankful for everyones input.

Last edited:

Lunchbox2

Explorer
Thanks! I always used .120 wall schedule 40 pipe for my bumpers and saved the DOM for my cages on my rockcrawlers. I always figured I was going to beat on the bumpers and if they got dented or bent, it was cheaper in the long run to remake them out of the cheaper stuff again and keep beating. DOM is definitely a little stronger, for sure.
I have a 9,000 lb winch that my friend gave me. He hit a deer and insurance replaced it with a new one. It works still, and only the plastic cover was damaged and some is missing, so it looks a little beat up, so that's why I haven't put it on yet.

That's what I've been thinking.... I just can't justify the cost of DOM tubing for my van. I priced some 1 3/4 HREW .120 wall and it was very reasonable, like less than $3/ft, and it's pretty strong stuff according to the #'s. I want to make the bumpers/sliders/and possibly a cage out of it, and I think it's completely capable of handling that, this isn't a rock bouncer.

I've been looking at the affordable bender.... It's priced right ($300 w/die, SHIPPED) and people seem to like it, so I think I'm going to give it a try.

A winch was going to be one of the last things I bought, but I had a chance to get a good deal on a Warn Zeon 12 a couple months ago, so I pulled the trigger. I've always used a Harbor Freight winch with great success, but I will be traveling to much more remote areas this time around, so I figured I better get the good ****....:wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior