Lucinda Build

chiliVANilli

Adventurer
20151207_122653_resized (1).jpg20151207_122717_resized.jpg20150605_125215_resized.jpg
Here is LUCINDA in her current state. My 1968 Chevy G20 Sportvan 108 Custom. This is kind of build thread, but I have already gotten alot work done, and she is running and driving and now I'm on to getting to making it usable. I found it on Craigslist by accident and I purchased her around Halloween 2014. It had been converted to 4x4 at some point probably mid 80's judging by what was left of the running gear/axles and welding/ fabrication. It had no engine or transmission, a really leaky divorced transfer case, and axles from the 60's. No interior either. The main reason I wanted it was it had no rust, and all the hard to find parts,and a working pop- top, and cool factor/ potential. I knew it was going to a hell of alot of work, and it was/is.
I considered many options for drivetrains, and finally decided to go with a Chevy 350, and related tranny,etc.. I found a suitable donor, a 1989 Chevy V2500, 3/4 ton, 5.7 litre TBI, auto tranny that I got for pretty cheap. And so it began.
Now she has a the Chevy 5.7 TBI, th400, np 241c, 14 bolt semi float rear axle, Dana 44 HD front, 6" + lift, electric power assist steering, hydroboost brakes, 295/75/16 Hankook Dynapro M/T, A.R.E 16x8 wheels, Smiitybilt awning, LED light bar, and whatever else I keep spending $$$ on.

Last edited:

chiliVANilli

Adventurer
20141005_134905_resized.jpg20141005_134939_resized.jpg
This is how she looked when I found her in a storage yard in Pueblo,CO. Love at first site, or at least I could see the potential, so I bought it. Turns out the girl I bought it from won it a divorce and was "keeping" it there. She didn't know anything about the history of how it became a 4x4, or anything else. But she had the title and wouldn't budge on the price, because it was "RARE". Anyway, I had no buyers remorse. Then she immediately started costing me $$$ by having to pay $400 to get it hauled 200 miles back to my shop in Eagle.

chiliVANilli

Adventurer
20141010_174504_resized.jpg20141018_171023_resized.jpg
Once I got it back to the shop I couldn't wait to get started. I immediately wanted clean it out and see what I had. There aren't many pics of the cleaning, because of the amount of mouse poop in it. With a Tyvek suit, respirator, and shop vac, I got after it. I honestly can't believe the amount of poop, pee in the walls of the van. And luckily it was late fall and cold, because it also had wasp nests all over it and under the pop-top. It also had the license plates on it which expired 10/01 from Wyoming. There was also a thick "coating" of mud underneath of which as the build progressed, made me believe that it's last trip out might have been what killed it.

chiliVANilli

Adventurer
20150919_114703_resized.jpg
Now how I came up with the name for her. "Cindy" was scratched in the passenger door. I hadn't really thought about even naming the van, then I heard Lucinda Williams, a country singer, with a voice that sounds like she eats cigarettes, and chases with with hot whiskey from a bottle that has sitting on a dashboard in the summer sun, but some how it's pleasing, but rugged.

chiliVANilli

Adventurer
20141115_182110_resized.jpg
I had to be able to get her in and out of the shop since she had no way to do it under her own power, so I made this so I could move with it the fork lift.20150425_102632_resized.jpg

chiliVANilli

Adventurer
20141030_120656_resized.jpg20141130_182703_resized.jpg
I chose a 1989 Chevy v2500 Suburban 4x4 3/4 ton, with a good ole' 350 with TBI and auto transmission as my donor. The main reason I chose this is because I figured parts for this engine are pretty much available anywhere and they made so many. The other factor was the TBI. It was the first few years of the the fuel injection and is simple and barely uses the computer to make it run. The drivetrain was another influence in my decision. They have pretty much made the same truck from 72-91, so those parts are readily available anywhere, too. As well as aftermarket, for these trucks, too. Hell, the wiring colors and schematics were pretty much the same, also.
I did feel bad about destroying a perfectly good Suburban. The exterior and running gear was in good shape, but the interior was not so hot. I kinda thought about keeping the burb, and fixing it up, and finding something else as a donor. But I knew the sacrifice was all for a good cause, and I gave away parts to my friends who needed them.

chiliVANilli

Adventurer
20141221_144419_resized.jpg
I pulled the entire wiring harness out of the Suburban from the head lights to tail lights. Again, the wires were the same color, so it made it easy to mate them to the vans wiring system.

chiliVANilli

Adventurer
20141203_124947_resized.jpg20141205_175920_resized.jpg20141206_143207_resized.jpg
I figured the best way to get motivated was to get some new tires on the van to see what it's going to look like. I also bought a set 4" lift springs for the front off craigslist for cheap.I sold the old rims and made some $$ back. Got the tires mounted, lift on, and I liked the outcome. The lift wasn't enough, and the center pin on the springs left the axle uncentered, but at least I had an idea of what I needed to run the size tires I wanted.

chiliVANilli

Adventurer
20150131_174225_resized.jpg
I changed all the gaskets,seals, and sensors, water pump, and anything else I could without tearing the engine apart. Did a ton gunk removal, changed power steering pump, too. Painted valve covers, and polished the intake manifold, too for some reason. Also changed transmission pan gasket and resealed leaking transfer case. Ready for install.

Lunchbox2

Explorer
Duuuuuuuuude I LOVE this van! I was looking for one of these when I started my 4x4 van adventure. I couldn't ever find one that was in decent shape though, so I settled on my 87 shorty. I also went with the TBI 350 for the ease of operation and reliability. They aren't exactly powerhouses, but have enough torque to move the van around and are as reliable as it gets. Good luck with the build!

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
View attachment 327811
Now how I came up with the name for her. "Cindy" was scratched in the passenger door. I hadn't really thought about even naming the van, then I heard Lucinda Williams, a country singer, with a voice that sounds like she eats cigarettes, and chases with with hot whiskey from a bottle that has sitting on a dashboard in the summer sun, but some how it's pleasing, but rugged.

Great build, I just wish that Cindy had put the date below her signature!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier