LT vs. P Metric

3 DOGS

Observer
This may not be the right forum spot for this question but I figure someone will know the answer.
Here I was all ready to buy new tires and the guy at the tire shop said I should go with P Metric not LT for my 265/75/16 tire choice. Why??
Basically I guess it boils down to cost - LT is more expensive than P Metric - and since I don't tow with my DC Taco he said the LT's wouldn't be needed.
My Taco is a DD, has a Snugfit topper and will be used to hit the mountains a couple times a year. This would include off road trails to hunting/camping areas.
Since this is a new area for me I am need of advice. Which one do I go with? Gas milege differences - if any?
I am ready to buy but there is a $40 minimum difference per tire which I am looking at.
I appreciate any help.

erin

Explorer
Go with the LT's for sure, they will be a much heavier duty tire, and you won't have to worry about damage, especially to the side walls. P rated tires are for on road only, and you will have problems if you ever get into any kind of sharp rocks offroad, even small ones. Plus, when aired down, you won't be compressing the hell out of an LT like you would with a P rated one.

BajaXplorer

Adventurer
P=pavement and occasional graded dirt road.
LT=offroad
In my opinion there is also a greater tire safety attained by running the heavier LTs on the pavement as well.
My 2 cents.
BX

Scott Brady

Founder
P= Passenger Rated
LT= Light Truck

An LT tire will have more and thicker carcass plies and is designed to carry a load and run cooler under a load. The thicker carcass resists punctures better too.

UncleChris

Adventurer
Are you looking at the Revos?

I got the PMetrics instead of the LT sizes which at first I regretted.

My tires have been through a lot of punishment including an extremely rocky trail in Nevada that went on forever and really have lasted well. They have done extremely well in mud and snow as well.

I think that the issue is that the Revo uses the same basic construction for its PMetric and LT tires, so I really do not know how much difference there can be.

I think that it would be more of an issue for a tire designed purely as a PMetric.

3 DOGS

Observer
The guy from the tire place said the P Metric are a 4 ply tire and the LTs are either a 6 ply or a 10 ply.
I can get a great deal on the Revos in the P Metric otherwise I have to change to the Hercules Terra Trac ATs in the LT. I can get these for $250 or so less than LT Revos. P Metric Revos would run the same as the Hercules LTs.
I guess since my concern is that I don't do A LOT of off road travel. Some trips to the mountains and such like I said before. However, when I do go out and about I want to make sure I got the right gear.
Here is a final factor the LT's weigh about 7 pound per tire more. Again being a newbie is this going to affect anything??
Once again Thanks to all of you for your patience and I appreciate your input.

perterra

Adventurer
I switched to P metric Dunlop Radial Rover A/T's on the last tire change. The Goodrich all terrain LT's were too harsh for as many miles of highway I had to run. Small bumps would make the rear seat passengers voices quiver like they were in a helicopter on my Xterra.

If I spent my time in a harsh enviro, LT's are the way to go, but my driving is usually 6 hours to the beach or 18 hours to the mountains.

paulj

Expedition Leader
On this REVO spec table
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tireselector/dpp/sizespecs.asp?passproductid=1055
I am seeing only a 3 lb difference between LT and P 265/75/16 tires (48 v 45). The difference in tread depth (16 v 13mm) likely accounts for that. I see that there is also a heavier duty LT version, E rated.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Bridgestone&model=Dueler+A/T+Revo&tirePageLocQty=
On Tirerack's spec table the E rated tire has a max load of 3425lb at 80psi, the C rated 2470 at 50 psi, while the P one is 2601 at 44 psi. For comparison purposes, the P load apparently should be reduced by 9%, to about 2370lb.

It looks to me that the C range LT version has essentially the same internal construction as the P version, but has somewhat a thicker tread.

Assuming this size tire is as large or larger than stock tire for your truck, and you aren't pushing the load limits of the truck, and you aren't regularly driving on rocks, I don't see why you shouldn't go with the P metric tire. Surely your intended off-road use is well within the design usage for this tire, even in the P metric.

Check the warranties as well. I don't see one listed for the LT metrics.

paulj

3 DOGS

Observer
After your guys' input, and further research, things are starting to make sense. I think the P metric will probably be my best bet. Mostly on road with only a couple of times a year off road. The sidewalls I ASSUME will hold up as long as I am trail smart and careful.
Thanks to everyone for your help.

CSG

Explorer
On this REVO spec table
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tireselector/dpp/sizespecs.asp?passproductid=1055
I am seeing only a 3 lb difference between LT and P 265/75/16 tires (48 v 45). The difference in tread depth (16 v 13mm) likely accounts for that. I see that there is also a heavier duty LT version, E rated.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Bridgestone&model=Dueler+A/T+Revo&tirePageLocQty=
On Tirerack's spec table the E rated tire has a max load of 3425lb at 80psi, the C rated 2470 at 50 psi, while the P one is 2601 at 44 psi. For comparison purposes, the P load apparently should be reduced by 9%, to about 2370lb.

It looks to me that the C range LT version has essentially the same internal construction as the P version, but has somewhat a thicker tread.

Assuming this size tire is as large or larger than stock tire for your truck, and you aren't pushing the load limits of the truck, and you aren't regularly driving on rocks, I don't see why you shouldn't go with the P metric tire. Surely your intended off-road use is well within the design usage for this tire, even in the P metric.

Check the warranties as well. I don't see one listed for the LT metrics.

paulj

I know this is an old thread but the topic is very valid today as well. I've been going through exactly this in looking at replacement tires for my Hundy. Both Cooper and Toyo have, unequivocally, stated that the P version of their AT3 or AT II tires is the most suitable for lighter SUV's like mine instead of the LT tires. Only for fairly extreme off-roading would a three ply/six/ten ply tire be warranted. On top of that, for the LT tires to carry the same load as the P tire, they need to be inflated to a higher pressure which can change how the ride feels.

Now, everyone I've talked to at tire shops encourages the LT tires for off-roading but both Cooper and Toyo stated their P all terrain tires are just as well suited for *my* vehicle. FWIW...

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
The guy from the tire place said the P Metric are a 4 ply tire and the LTs are either a 6 ply or a 10 ply.
I can get a great deal on the Revos in the P Metric otherwise I have to change to the Hercules Terra Trac ATs in the LT. I can get these for $250 or so less than LT Revos. P Metric Revos would run the same as the Hercules LTs.
I guess since my concern is that I don't do A LOT of off road travel. Some trips to the mountains and such like I said before. However, when I do go out and about I want to make sure I got the right gear.
Here is a final factor the LT's weigh about 7 pound per tire more. Again being a newbie is this going to affect anything??
Once again Thanks to all of you for your patience and I appreciate your input.

I am running the terra trac AT on my suburban, its a fantastic tire that runs smooth and true. excellent grip and long wear. I recommend it over the REVO actually.

ADDvanced

Does anyone know the difference between P and LT Kumho AT51s?

They have the same tread pattern and appear to be the same compound, and they're both marketed as all terrains, so wouldn't a P-rated all terrain be okay for occasional offroad use?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I know this is an old thread but the topic is very valid today as well. I've been going through exactly this in looking at replacement tires for my Hundy. Both Cooper and Toyo have, unequivocally, stated that the P version of their AT3 or AT II tires is the most suitable for lighter SUV's like mine instead of the LT tires. Only for fairly extreme off-roading would a three ply/six/ten ply tire be warranted. On top of that, for the LT tires to carry the same load as the P tire, they need to be inflated to a higher pressure which can change how the ride feels.

Now, everyone I've talked to at tire shops encourages the LT tires for off-roading but both Cooper and Toyo stated their P all terrain tires are just as well suited for *my* vehicle. FWIW...
You're going to be gaining flat resistance and stability with an LT. I met a guy in a full size Tundra in Yosemite. It was the TRD with Bilsteins and a tow package. Problem is Toyota supplied P-rated passenger tires in all their wisdom. He was towing a 22' trailer from Ontario CND squirming all the way. He had no idea. I recommended going to a tire shop and have some LT's installed. He wasn't too stoked with the 6-8 mpg he was averaging either.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I've posted this before about P rated tires. Don't cheap out. Three incidents in one trip, the same vehicle. What set it apart from the rest? P-rated tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles