LS3 '07 Avalanche Build

So at this point at 149,xxx miles I was faced with investing too much $$ into a motor at its mid-life crisis with life long oil consumption issues. So I opted for more power and reliability for my purpose of overlanding... the outcome was a new 6.2l LS3 480 crate motor
IMG_6956.JPGIMG_6955.JPG

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
About dang time, did you have to get the ecu re-flashed? Interesting how the 5.3 and 8.1 had oil consumption issues but the 6.0/6.2 hasn't.

Did you keep the car intake manifold?
Unfortunately no... had to use an 6.2 L92 Escalade intake manifold and stock oil pan. Which after 1 trip and some muddy water crossings it looks exactly like my old stock motor. No cool, shiny under hood stuff, yet.

However its upgraded to a larger Z06 throttle body and 2600 stall converter

About dang time, did you have to get the ecu re-flashed? Interesting how the 5.3 and 8.1 had oil consumption issues but the 6.0/6.2 hasn't.
Yes, the swap was done, broken in and dyno tuned. Somewhat conservatively tuned for my purposes.

Brake upgrade:

Wilwood Big Brake kit 14.25"x1.25" rotor and 6 piston caliper
Wilwood braided stainless steel brake hoses

Before:
IMG_9698.JPG

After:
IMG_9699.JPGIMG_9719.JPG
Caliper fit snug within an 18" wheel!
IMG_9722.JPGIMG_9816.JPG

Wilbah

Adventurer
Hey question for you...how have you found the Fox shocks? I wonder if they make sense for someone who doesnt do a lot of serious fast off reading. Part of me thinks OEM shocks make sense given the price differential (but acknowledging that they would certainly wear out faster). But the other part of me thinks dirt roads, wash boards etc play havoc with stock shocks so there might be a big (positive) improvment. I'm just curious your take as to whether it's a worthwhile upgrade.

Hey question for you...how have you found the Fox shocks? I wonder if they make sense for someone who doesnt do a lot of serious fast off reading. Part of me thinks OEM shocks make sense given the price differential (but acknowledging that they would certainly wear out faster). But the other part of me thinks dirt roads, wash boards etc play havoc with stock shocks so there might be a big (positive) improvment. I'm just curious your take as to whether it's a worthwhile upgrade.
I can tell you I've been extremely happy and overly impressed with the performance of the Fox shocks and coilovers. They handle very well for everyday driving but really show their performance off road, I can do 65 mph on washboard logging roads... very comfortably. Beyond my opinion out of all the mods to the truck the braking and ride quality often leave the best impression.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles