LS1 Swap Stories

MOAK

Adventurer
Hello all, Im seriously considering an LS1 swap into my 80 series. Currently at 340,000 miles and running like a top, provided we are at low elevations. Out west at higher elevations it is nothing less than a dog that might get, on a good day, 10mpg, loaded down and pulling our 1300 lb trailer. Here at home we do get 12mpg. We've lived with it and accepted that for about 10 years now of touring the USA.
The primary reasons I'm considering the swap is for our long term outlook and what we plan to continue doing. My wife and I will not be young forever and I'm thinking that in 4 years it may be time to find ourselves an Airstream Basecamp to drag behind us. Instead of "overlanding" as we tend to do now, we'd set up a base camp and explore from there. The Basecamp's GVWR is 3500 lbs. I know that the 4.5-6 would not be capable of towing that kind of weight efficiently. I don't want to be that interstate hazard doing 25 mph that the 18 wheelers pass going up-hill. Or, for that matter on the flats only able to achieve 60 mph or so. I considered a newer vehicle for about 30 seconds. I want a solid axles. I mentioned long term? I'm 67 now and want a worry free vehicle for at least another 150,000 miles, or 15 years, whichever comes first. Anyone that has made the swap, what are your stories, longterm? Thanks in advance for all input.

beef tits

I’ve considered that, too bad it’s uncommon or it might be an affordable option. Do you speak from experience?

No but I don't feel that it's necessary. Personally, I'd be too ashamed to ruin a perfectly good Toyota by putting any American made garbage in it.

Whatever work is necessary to make a Toyota v8 fit into a Toyota seems well worth it.

D

Deleted member 9101

No but I don't feel that it's necessary. Personally, I'd be too ashamed to ruin a perfectly good Toyota by putting any American made garbage in it.

Whatever work is necessary to make a Toyota v8 fit into a Toyota seems well worth it.

L m a o!!!!! The LS series of motors is far from garbage. The LS will easily and reliably make more HP/TQ than any Yota V8 and do so for far less money.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 9101

Well, the Landcruiser 200 series speaks from experience.
The 100 series as well, but is less powerfull

Excellent.... Now try to swap it into a vehicle that it never came in and there is zero aftermarket support for the swap... We'll all wait.

D

Deleted member 9101

Hello all, Im seriously considering an LS1 swap into my 80 series. Currently at 340,000 miles and running like a top, provided we are at low elevations. Out west at higher elevations it is nothing less than a dog that might get, on a good day, 10mpg, loaded down and pulling our 1300 lb trailer. Here at home we do get 12mpg. We've lived with it and accepted that for about 10 years now of touring the USA.
The primary reasons I'm considering the swap is for our long term outlook and what we plan to continue doing. My wife and I will not be young forever and I'm thinking that in 4 years it may be time to find ourselves an Airstream Basecamp to drag behind us. Instead of "overlanding" as we tend to do now, we'd set up a base camp and explore from there. The Basecamp's GVWR is 3500 lbs. I know that the 4.5-6 would not be capable of towing that kind of weight efficiently. I don't want to be that interstate hazard doing 25 mph that the 18 wheelers pass going up-hill. Or, for that matter on the flats only able to achieve 60 mph or so. I considered a newer vehicle for about 30 seconds. I want a solid axles. I mentioned long term? I'm 67 now and want a worry free vehicle for at least another 150,000 miles, or 15 years, whichever comes first. Anyone that has made the swap, what are your stories, longterm? Thanks in advance for all input.
An LS is an excellent choice. You can get aftermarket parts to make the swap pretty easy. It will make more power than what you have now and do so on less fuel. There is a myriad of options available for accessory drives so you can have power steering, AC, and a higher output alternator.

The LS motors are all over the place and parts are stupid easy to find. There is also variety of options in thr LS family to choose from. Just depends wants, needs, and budget.

Lovetheworld

I think the 5.7 v8 isnt going to work for a reasonable budget or even fit at all.
So the question is if one of the UZ engines fits and is worth it, pulling trailers.

I guess you could also check the 2GR V6?

Or try to go for the original 80 series 1HD turbodiesel with intercooler, and perhaps some small mods to make more power.

MOAK

Adventurer
Excellent.... Now try to swap it into a vehicle that it never came in and there is zero aftermarket support for the swap... We'll all wait.
Yea, thanks, I'm asking about real world experience with a very specific engine in a Landcruiser 80 series. Peoples negative opinions just don't hold any water unless they have done the swap and are unhappy with it. The chevy 350 swap into Landcruisers has been happening since the late 60s early 70s for the "rock crawler" and "4wheeling" crowd with great success. The Aussies seem to be pleased with the LS as well. My concern is about how well that engine will do with "overlanding" in North America. This last trip out west we traversed a bit over 7,000 miles with a little over 520 miles, (taking 58 hours) on mild to very technical terrain, camping along the way. The 80 didn't even hiccup the entire trip. However, getting up and over the passes on the highways was a very real strain. Just drop into 1st gear and maintain 3,000 rpms to get up. I know for certain had I been pulling a heavier trailer I would have had to drop into low range. Anyway, I ramble, back to the original question.

86scotty

Cynic
I think the 5.7 v8 isnt going to work for a reasonable budget or even fit at all.
So the question is if one of the UZ engines fits and is worth it, pulling trailers.

I guess you could also check the 2GR V6?

Or try to go for the original 80 series 1HD turbodiesel with intercooler, and perhaps some small mods to make more power.

It'll fit.

tacollie

Glamper
A LS swap will be the cheapest option. It'll offer more more and better mpgs. A gas Toyota motor would be cool but it'll be more money. A diesel Toyota would be even more money. Go over to ih8mud. There is a lot of swap info over there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles