LS1 Swap Stories

D

Deleted member 9101

I've done at least 4 belts on a 4.7. That's not "opening the engine" that is regular maintenance.

"Laughs in LS not having to deal with that BS"

Question, Bovine Mammories, if the Toyota v8s are so amazing....why are they rarely swapped into other vehicles??? I can count on one hand how many Toyota v8 swapped vehicles I've seen in my life and I've never seen a Toyota v8 swapped vehicle at the track... Why is that????

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 9101

They both have their plusses....but the LS wins for cost, durability, and reliability all factored together, which most consumers care about.

Exactly!!!

Also...the average LS has a bottom end strong enough to take the stress of making 500-600 HP as a daily driver...something many other V8s can't do.

ITTOG

I am a Toyota fanboy and have an 07 Tundra with the 5.7L. I love everything about that engine and truck. Well, actually it is my son's now and it has about 190,000 miles but I still choose to drive it over my 2018 F150 Platinum, often. But it would be idiotic to choose the 5.7L over an LS. If you apply the same maintenance to both engines they will both run forever, but the LS will do it for less money. There is a reason you find the LS in every type of resto car/truck or hot rod that exists in the US. No other engine in the world can say the same.

The only way I would choose the Toyota 5.7L is if I had more money than brains.

beef tits

Question, Bovine Mammories, if the Toyota v8s are so amazing....why are they rarely swapped into other vehicles??? I can count on one hand how many Toyota v8 swapped vehicles I've seen in my life and I've never seen a Toyota v8 swapped vehicle at the track... Why is that????

You’re focusing on the 4.7, ignoring the chain driven 4.6 & 5.7.

I don’t spend time at the track but used to. You see a lot of interesting things there, most I would not take on a true adventure. Usage profile is apples and oranges. Reliability is less of a concern.

Again, as I have stated; if fast and cheap is your goal by all means LS1 it. I would personally opt for keeping it Japanese under my hood, and frankly, I feel that adding Chevy parts to a Toyota is in poor taste and devalues the vehicle.

D

Deleted member 9101

I feel that adding Chevy parts to a Toyota is in poor taste and devalues the vehicle.

I know plenty of people who would disagree...and there is an entire cottage industry that proves you wrong...lol.

What aren't off road shops drowning in request for Toyota V8 swaps? If an LS is such a horrible POS...then why is there millions of them driving problem free down the HW right now?

The 5.7 is a good motor...but it's awfully expensive and complicated for it's power output and upgrading it is obnoxiously expensive. It does nothing better than the LS and cost much more to swap and rebuilding one is damn near obnoxiously over priced.

Look... If you want to pay more money to do a swap, that makes less power per dollar spent, and is grossly over complicated that's 100% your right... The rest of us will gladly abandon brand loyalty and follow logic.

D

Deleted member 9101

There is a reason you find the LS in every type of resto car/truck or hot rod that exists in the US. No other engine in the world can say the same.

The only way I would choose the Toyota 5.7L is if I had more money than brains.

I can build a daily driver 7-800HP LS that happily runs on 93 octane for the same cost as a bone stock 5.7....and guess which one would be easier to work on? Lol.

bkg

Explorer

Part of it is complexity and cost... the other part is packaging... the UZ engines are BIG compared to the non-OHC LS.

D

Deleted member 9101

Part of it is complexity and cost... the other part is packaging... the UZ engines are BIG compared to the non-OHC LS.

While true... Coyote swaps are very popular and that's not a simple or compact motor.

D

Deleted member 9101

but that motor has a lot more aftermarket support - including factory, correct?

Yep... But if the Toyota motors are so superior....one would think that there would be tons of aftermarket support for swaps. Yet here we sit....

bkg

Explorer
Yep... But if the Toyota motors are so superior....one would think that there would be tons of aftermarket support for swaps. Yet here we sit....

maybe... but bear in mind the audience that drives the crate motor business - it's mostly 'Murican vehicles.

Sure... there are others, but the demand isn't much, by comparison.

Probably why people have to go to Australia for UZ bellhousings for manual swaps?

beef tits

maybe... but bear in mind the audience that drives the crate motor business - it's mostly 'Murican vehicles.

Sure... there are others, but the demand isn't much, by comparison.

Probably why people have to go to Australia for UZ bellhousings for manual swaps?

My buddy just swapped an LS1 into his Mustang... people make odd choices and odd people stick with that "I only buy 'Murican" mentality.

That being said, I ordered some dealer parts for my Tundra (5.7) and was appalled to find some of them stamped "AC Delco". These were front end pulley/belt components. The Tundra is allegedly more American made than any American manufacturer's trucks these days. I think everything under the timing cover is still at least made of Japanese parts. Call me principled, call me an idiot, I still wouldn't intentionally cross breed.

Lovetheworld

Meh, if you can swap a 2JZ into a 1st gen Camaro, go ahead and swap an LS into an 80 series. It's all good.

Basically the 2JZ is the Japanese LS :p but already more expensive.

Also some Hiluxes and 4 runners got a 2JZ swap in them.

By the way, regarding the Toyota V8s, I have seen a couple of UZ engines from the LS400 fit in a couple of other cars, like BMW 3 series.
Also in some Toyotas. Like I can fit that engine in my 4x4 van. Replace the timing belt before going in, and then drive so little that you never have to replace the belt again :D

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Basically the 2JZ is the Japanese LS :p but already more expensive.

Also some Hiluxes and 4 runners got a 2JZ swap in them.

By the way, regarding the Toyota V8s, I have seen a couple of UZ engines from the LS400 fit in a couple of other cars, like BMW 3 series.
Also in some Toyotas. Like I can fit that engine in my 4x4 van. Replace the timing belt before going in, and then drive so little that you never have to replace the belt again :D
True. I recall seeing a 240 DL Wagon with a 2jz swap that was pretty neat. I guess not neat enough though. I think that car is running a Lamborghini V10 now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior