LR5

SkiWill

I'm not the one you have to convince about needing more than 1 Land Rover. The 51% shareholder is another matter entirely. While the Defender platform has great appeal due to the availability of the Australian Land Rover bull bar to fend off the suicidal Wyoming deer and Utah moose, the Disco is far more practical for a few kids and dog for the everyday duties and family desert trips especially with a full size 32" E-rated spare mounted out of the way. I just wish there was a decent way to get some front end protection on the Disco 5. Maybe in a couple of years the local rover dealer will actually have a Discovery on the lot and I can keep the Tactical 4x4 armored LR4 for those work trips across Utah and Wyoming in the dark. As for having to ask what a Defender 130 costs, I'm not asking. I'm just assuming it will be stupidly expensive with the emphasis on stupid. I don't mind spending money on capability that fits my needs, but when the local Land Rover dealer wants $95,000 for a used Defender 110 that MSRPed for $70,000 all I can think is, "A fool and their money are soon to part" as they say.

DieselRanger

I just wish there was a decent way to get some front end protection on the Disco 5.
I have the D5 skid plate and sliders from Lucky8 - they also make an A-Bar.

Ke2427

I have both the lucky 8 bash plate and A bar and although great for brush and underside protection, as well as light mounting I wouldn't think they will offer comprehensive protection from deer, the 2 areas either side of the a bar have oil coolers etc. Behind the plastic, these would become damaged.

My personal experience is with S Oklahoma / N Texas wild pigs and when hunting that area I use - when able - my sons LR3 with a full steel winch bumper, it's fended of many suicidal pigs crossing the highway at night

The lucky 8 D5 stuff is awesome for off road / overland / slow speed / trail usage but doesn't offer the full frontal protection tion for wild animals weighing hundreds of pounds, hitting you at speed

Just my take on it.

Cheers

DieselRanger

The lucky 8 D5 stuff is awesome for off road / overland / slow speed / trail usage but doesn't offer the full frontal protection tion for wild animals weighing hundreds of pounds, hitting you at speed
Nothing does, because vehicle structures are designed to crumple on impact for passenger safety in a collision with other vehicles. The energy in impact of hitting a 200lb animal at highway speeds is extremely high. Now there are also pedestrian safety requirements. Old vehicles weren't built for passenger safety - which is why there were Driver's Ed scare movies like "Signal 30" and "Death on the Highway". You can mount a steel bumper to your unibody Land Rover, but that's just going to transfer energy into the crumple zone behind it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior