LR5

DieselRanger

@gillbrak and check out Lucky8 LLC.

Rock sliders and 18" wheels are easy DIY and offer the best bang for the buck IMO. Lights are also easy to add - several good in-grille / no-cut mounts available now.

The aftermarket has really stepped up on these...

Johnson Controls offers some lifts for them that dealerships were installing new.

As others ahve said, Lucky8 LLC has a lot of what you'll want - e.g. Proud Rhino off road equipment, Compomotive off road wheels, etc

e61outside

52dc3516767ab06ec2768e0ea1f0f8ee.jpg

Great platform. I had one for a while with the proud rhino 2” lift rods and K02s. It comes with skids underneath and has enough ground clearance and approach/departure to tackle a lot of trails with no additional mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ke2427

I also vote lucky8 / proud rhino.

Went with 18" compomotives for more side wall, Winch fit, a bar, bash plate etc.

Front runner rack and batwing currently works but awning will probably move to my sons LR3

Still moving the OBA set up from my retired LR4 and working out 2nd batt fit

Attachments

• 20211227_101749.jpg
    20211227_101749.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 66
  • 20211227_101758.jpg
    20211227_101758.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 68

DieselRanger

Johnson Controls offers some lifts for them that dealerships were installing new.

As others ahve said, Lucky8 LLC has a lot of what you'll want - e.g. Proud Rhino off road equipment, Compomotive off road wheels, etc
IMO lift rods are pointless. They just trick your EAS to remain at a higher setting by mechanically preventing them from lowering below standard height - you lose access height and Off Road 1 effectively becomes "standard." You get zero additional ride height.

e61outside

IMO lift rods are pointless. They just trick your EAS to remain at a higher setting by mechanically preventing them from lowering below standard height - you lose access height and Off Road 1 effectively becomes "standard." You get zero additional ride height.

Yes, running with lift rods is not perfect as it doesn’t really improve travel and you need to manually select normal height after selecting 4 low to avoid driving around in full extended height.

But you do get more tire clearance by ensuring the truck always rides in off-road mode. That, and general appearance is why most people use them. Also worth mentioning $100 for a simple lift (similar to a spacer lift) is a lot less than taking a Land Rover to j-Austin and spending $15k on a real lift ;-)

DieselRanger

Yes, running with lift rods is not perfect as it doesn’t really improve travel and you need to manually select normal height after selecting 4 low to avoid driving around in full extended height.

But you do get more tire clearance by ensuring the truck always rides in off-road mode. That, and general appearance is why most people use them. Also worth mentioning $100 for a simple lift (similar to a spacer lift) is a lot less than taking a Land Rover to j-Austin and spending $15k on a real lift ;-)

That clearance is available any time you want it with the push of a button at no additional cost, and at no cost to ride quality. And lift rods don't give you any *additional* ground clearance. Even here in the Rocky Mountains I haven't found many situations where more than eleven inches of ground clearance hasn't been enough, but as a daily driver I do find that I need access height for family and the occasional parking garage. These aren't rock crawlers, and lift rods won't make them so. If you want to do that, buy a Defender and get a 2" subframe lift for under $5k. Or if you want more command over lift modes and other functions, get a GAP tool. The $500 will pay itself back.

Driving in the desert, I'd just go with sliders, a bash plate, 18's and 70-series tires that can be aired down. That's sufficient for sand and rock - tire construction and running pressure while overlanding in the desert are more important than OD. 33 inches on a 70-series tire is plenty of tire.

SkiWill

That clearance is available any time you want it with the push of a button at no additional cost, and at no cost to ride quality. And lift rods don't give you any *additional* ground clearance. Even here in the Rocky Mountains I haven't found many situations where more than eleven inches of ground clearance hasn't been enough, but as a daily driver I do find that I need access height for family and the occasional parking garage. These aren't rock crawlers, and lift rods won't make them so. If you want to do that, buy a Defender and get a 2" subframe lift for under $5k. Or if you want more command over lift modes and other functions, get a GAP tool. The $500 will pay itself back.

Driving in the desert, I'd just go with sliders, a bash plate, 18's and 70-series tires that can be aired down. That's sufficient for sand and rock - tire construction and running pressure while overlanding in the desert are more important than OD. 33 inches on a 70-series tire is plenty of tire.

Are you able to fit a 265/70R18 in the stock spare tire location?

Ke2427

I have a 265/65/R18 spare and that fits easily. I can look at how much more room there is later but my guess is it'll fit

DieselRanger

Are you able to fit a 265/70R18 in the stock spare tire location?
I can fit a 32+" OD tire/wheel in the spare location and there's room left. 265/70-18 is 32.6" OD, and there's easily more than an additional 0.3" between my current 255/60-20 spare and the inside of the spare tire well.

So...I'd say yes.

SkiWill

That's good to know. Thanks Diesel Ranger and Ke2427. I'm not in a rush to replace my LR4, but considering I can use the tires I want in either 265/65R18 or 265/70R18 without a swing out, makes for a compelling option for the phase of life where I need something with 3 usable rows and I'm not sure I want to know what the Defender 130 will cost...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94