LR4 tires for 19"

HSL

Not a fan of the look of the compomotives so I'm going to just look into buying tires for the 19" wheels that are already on the LR4 (maybe more 18" options will come as the truck becomes older). I live in Oregon and am having trouble on deciding what's best. I'd be driving through a lot of rain, and a fair amount of snow (want a snow rated tire) as well as some mud and possibly some rocks. My main goal is having something that does well on wet asphalt as well as being capable off road. I've heard a lot of good things about the Goodyear Duratracs but don't know if there are better choices or someone has had a better experience with something different. Thanks

JAK

JAK:JeremySnow
Goodyear Duratrac 255/55-19
Goodyear All Terrain with Kevlar 255/60-19

Neither are ideal based on the load rating.

Not sure what else would work for you based on needing a snow rated tire and 19"...

EricTyrrell

Expo God
This is the most telling issue for the LR4 that demonstrates LR's abandonment of their roots. They made a truck that cannot use off-road tires (of suitable load range and sidewall) without aftermarket modification. Let the absurdity of that sink in..

Last edited:

dlm31

I'd be looking at Michelin or Bridgestone light truck tires - long wear, good grip, not outrageously expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HSL

What would be the largest tire I could fit with the 19" wheels (any bigger than 255/55 r19?) while running it at normal ride height on road and having something such as the llams tool for off road use? Could this give me more options of tires? I assume I would need to do some shaving in the wheel wells

zelatore

Explorer
I'd second the Duratrac. I ran them in 275/65-18 on my LR3 with pretty good results in wet and snow and decent in mud and rocks. The only down-side was when I really pushed them hard in the rocks they chunked up badly and basically shredded the tread. I also cut 2 of 5 sidewalls in 2 years, again in the rocks. But for your stated use I think they would do well.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Personally, I run winter tires on my 19" wheels in the winter and have Cooper Discoverer AT's on 10 spoke 18" wheels in the summer. There is a set of 18" 10 spoke wheels in the for sale section right now (not mine) for $400 with tires. Might be worth grabbing.

Ray_G

Explorer
You could go the other direction and source some 20's which gets you back into Terragrapplers if I'm not mistaken. A buddy with an L322 has those on his truck and they look decent, obviously sidewall is not good for the rock aspect of what you mention but would do well for other applications noted.
r-
Ray

Sapper Dave

I have the Duratrac's in 255/55R19 on my 2006 Range Rover Sport. Overall they are really good tires for the mostly road travel and the light wheeling I use them for. In the snow here in Colorado the tires are great and while they are a little noisier than street tires you really don't notice it much. I've put about 20,000 miles on them since I picked them up last year and I have no complaints with only moderate wear. I plan on keeping with the Duratrac's for my Range Rover and also putting a set on my wife's new LR4 when the stock set wears out.

Also Land Rover used the 255/55R19 Duratrac's on their 1,000,000th Discovery expedition from the UK to Beijing, so while they might not be an LT or completely dedicated all-terrain they have proven themselves as a reliable tire for overland travel.

99Discovery

Adventurer
Any "P" rated tire is going to shred a sidewall very easily when out doing any outdoor work. Trails out here took down my Michelin P-rated well before their time, but my Cooper Discoverer ATP Load Range E's hardly noting the rocks (in my case it was a tree branch).

My cousin purchased a new 2015 TRD 4Runner and even Toyota's "off-road" tires shredded a tire on a similar trail. Expensive and unncessary damage for a trail rig. I usually prefer Load Range C or D as a compromise between sidewall flex and strength, but the ATPs were only offered in E.

As others suggested, you can get load Range E in a 20" land rover tire. This is your best bet other than going the Compautomotive 18" route or machining spacers and using other style 18"s like the ExPo/Overland Journal's LR4.

It's the biggest unnecessary expense that is preventing me from taking the plunge to an L322 or LR3/4........that's a lot of money in rims (compautomoative) just to fit expensive tires.

And to echo Eric Tyrell's sentiments: The new LR4 doesn't even come standard with a "low" range anymore. The brand is a new Disco 5 and Defender away from becoming dead/irrelevant to off-road enthusiasts.

umbertob

Adventurer
There is an Italian company (or are they German? Can't figure it out) selling an 8.5 x 18" wheel that - they claim - is fully compatible with the Disco/LR4 brakes, without mods:

http://www.mudtech4x4.com/cerchi-raid/?lang=en

Kinda-sorta looks like the 10-spoke design of the 18" LR3 OEM wheels. I also like the fact they are 8.5" wide, should allow 285/60R18 tires to "sit" better over the rim than narrower 8" rims such as the Compos PD1881s. Price is not terrible compared to the Compos (mostly thanks to the strong US$ these days), although I have no idea how much they would charge for shipping a set of these from Europe. It'd be interesting to see if anyone has purchased a set yet, it would be nice to get another bolt-on, quality 18" aftermarket rim option for the LR4, other than the Compomotives.

Last edited:

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Our LR4 came with 20" wheels. To put it mildly they looked scary. No sidewall. Immediately ditched them for MotorSport-Tech spacers and 18" LR3 10-spokes. Tire of choice was the Load range E General Grabber AT2 in 285/60-18.

We did the Ouray to Silverton section of Engineer's Pass last summer. I would have had at least one sideway failure on the lower trail with factory equip.

If you stay with 19/20 wheels there was a South Africa video that recommended airing UP, not down, for those wheels. Nice stiff sidewalls and less contact area!

sunrisehiker

Adventurer
There is an Italian company (or are they German? Can't figure it out) selling an 8.5 x 18" wheel that - they claim - is fully compatible with the Disco/LR4 brakes, without mods:

Kinda-sorta looks like the 10-spoke design of the 18" LR3 OEM wheels. I also like the fact they are 8.5" wide, should allow 285/60R18 tires to "sit" better over the rim than narrower 8" rims such as the Compos PD1881s. Price is not terrible compared to the Compos (mostly thanks to the strong US$ these days), although I have no idea how much they would charge for shipping a set of these from Europe. It'd be interesting to see if anyone has purchased a set yet, it would be nice to get another bolt-on, quality 18" aftermarket rim option for the LR4, other than the Compomotives.

I have been Emailing them for Quite some time and I know 17 inch Racers for my Lr3 would be 70 euros each S/H, so 18 s for lr4 would probably cost the same, i think.

HSL

What would be the largest tire I could fit with the 19" wheels (any bigger than 255/55 r19?) while running it at normal ride height on road and having something such as the llams tool for off road use? Could this give me more options of tires? I assume I would need to do some shaving in the wheel wells
Could you fit a tire with a larger sidewall (ex. 65) on 19" wheels if you ran something like the llams tool or lift rods?

HSL

Wish someone made a steelie in 18" that would fit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier