LR4 stock long roof rails maximum load capacity??

Macro_LR4

Hey guys, I searched the forum but could not find an answer to this, so if any of you can help sort this question for me, i would be eternally grateful.

I am looking at getting a RoofNest falcon hard shell RTT to put on my 2013 LR4 for use when offroading and camping. for years Ive just slept in a ground tent or in the back of the lr4 with everything folded down. I'm really starting to get interested in getting a RTT and I found one that's relatively light at 130 lbs.

Question is, do i really need to install a full rack and remove my factory long rails (like a Front Runner Slimline 2) just to put a tent on? Frontrunner says yes, but id rather hear it from you guys. Are there low profile cross bars i could use instead on my factory long rails that could hold that tent dynamically instead of going the full rack mount? Thule, Yakima, baja etc?

Thanks in Advance!

2.ooohhh

I’ve seen several cleanly mounted tents on Rhino Rack’s backbones with just crossbars for the tent. One had crossbars under the tent and a small pioneer platform in front of it to make use of the extra length available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbboard

I am trying to figure the same thing out as I just purchased an LR4. I talked to Frontrunner who said the rigidity of their rack was a must. It seems like a lot of extra weight and cost that probably isn't necessary. I am very interested in the Brush Company Alpha RTT but its a good bit heavier and slightly taller than the Falcon. I'd appreciate any recommendations as well.

Errant

Explorer
I’m curious, as well. Both the Baja and Prospeed racks are using the factory short rails for the back two pair of feet. Seems to me like you should be able to skip the rack and mount straight to decent cross bar, then.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have a FR full length rack on my LR3 and have put my OZ3, 2 5L Scepter water can, two 10 pound propane bottles, my camp fire in a can, a medical chest with my extra clothes, shovel, and 2 camp chairs and two sand ladders up there. Not sure of total weight but never an issue for me on extended trips. Only things up there are items that won't be bothered by weather.
Have had the FR rack since I got the LR 5 years ago with no adverse issues other than a bit more wind noise from something that disrupts the aerodynamic of the LR, I keep the roof vent closed while driving.
The LR3 and 4 can't be that much different from each other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94