LR4 Johnson Rods + Alignment = Uneven Tire Wear. How Fix?

iowalr4

Adventurer
Actually you can use the IIDTool for everyday height changes - there are plenty of people doing this (and this is also why we added the memory slots - to make the height changes quicker). It takes about 45-50 sec. to do (not including rummaging in the glovebox for the IIDTool :p), so everyday changes, yes, but not on-the-fly like the Mudtech system or Llams.

True, I didn't mean to imply that you can't, but its not just flipping a switch. Question for you. I read something that says the IID tool is not meant to be left in the ODB port full time. I don't, but I was curious as to why? Is it because it draws current or just a safety issue (someone messing with the vehicle?).

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
We have customers than run the IIDTool installed all the time (generally with an adapter cable with a flat OBD connector to keep from having the dongle in the footwell where it could possibly be kicked).

We did not design the tool for permanent installation (yet :) ) and have not verified that it will go to sleep under all circumstances - so we don't recommend it. That is the only reason...

sdjp

Thank you for the insight. I now wonder if it's better (for me) to remove the rods. Hhhmmmmm...

what'd you end up doing? I just put new 32.5" tires on today and have scheduled a Land Rover Dealer alignment tomorrow. I have on the johnson rods and also have the iid GAP tool. To my understanding it should make no difference whether the LR3 is lifted via the rods or GAP tool but the fact I'm lifting it at all.

Perhaps the only way to get even tire wear is going with near stock tire size? That's what we get for modifying vehicles. I'm coming from a solid axle background and don't have any real experience with lifting these types of rigs.

sdjp

I have a brand new set of rods on the shelf I never put in. If anyone wants to add some problems to their LR3 EAS, please let me know and I’ll hook you up with a good price.

IID Tool is awesome. Also did the key program and saved a ton of money and gained so much confidence in the GAP tool capabilities.

Hi, our non-profit just acquired an EAS equipped LR3 and we're learning more about it every day. We have installed the Johnson Rods and also have the iid GAP tool. I want to ask why the rods would cause problems driving while lifted when driving lifted with the GAP tool would not? To my understanding it achieves the same effect via different methods. We are looking for full time lifted use to run 32.5" tires as our vehicles are used on the trail 95% of the time. Thank you for any insights.

soflorovers

Hi, our non-profit just acquired an EAS equipped LR3 and we're learning more about it every day. We have installed the Johnson Rods and also have the iid GAP tool. I want to ask why the rods would cause problems driving while lifted when driving lifted with the GAP tool would not? To my understanding it achieves the same effect via different methods. We are looking for full time lifted use to run 32.5" tires as our vehicles are used on the trail 95% of the time. Thank you for any insights.
This poor horse has been beat to death so many times on this forum that I'm starting to think it's the new "Defender Rage/Hate Thread". Let me offer my 2 cents. My first LR3 was a mint 2008 example (With frame horns), and the first thing I did was swap out the original OEM tires and ran a 275/65/18 Duratrac with Proud Rhino LK8 lift rods. I actually had the dealer install the rods and align it at the same time. Unfortunately, as most have pointed out, there's only so much you can do to take out the positive camber. Ultimately, it never bothered me so much as I still put 25k miles on those Duratracs before I sold the truck (and they still looked great in terms of available tread). I used that truck as daily driver and I used it off road maybe 6/7 separate times; each one of those times I went full compression/extension on obstacles and I never had any of the sensors go out of range; perhaps I was lucky, or perhaps that issue is like the infamous Porsche 996 IMS issue where it happens, but nowhere as often as you might think. Frankly, the rods are great if you want to permanently run a larger tire full time on a budget.

My only complaint about trucks using lift rods is that I'm not aware of any method (other than using a GAAP tool) to lock the truck in its new standard height, which is now the equivalent of the old "non-lift rod" off-road height. With lift rods installed, the new off-road mode is what used to be the extended-mode for the air suspension. The bags become fully inflated and you get very little compliance - think basically zero suspension. Ordinarily, that wouldn't be an issue (Right? Just don't flip that switch to off road height...), but the LR3 is one of those trucks that will self raise itself if it thinks you require off road height for an obstacle, even though you know you're better off with the additional travel/compliance instead of the extra height.

A GAAP tool will allow you to stuff the same tire while also doing many more great things. My current LR3 actually has a custom GAAP height tune and lift rods to help the sensors come back into an acceptable range since I'm also running the LK8 SYA kit. If you have the money, just spring for the GAAP tool since it will help you do so much more than just suspension heights. However, don't let people shame you out of running a rod lift if that's what you've got the budget for. Feel free to message me on Instagram at @soflorovers if you want to discuss further.

EDIT: Here's a video of my old LR3 going full compression. Again, never had a height sensor error, but people on here have reported them. I think the route you take will be determined by your budget and primary use. Good luck!

Last edited:

garrycol

Forget Rods and just get LLAMS - works like the Gap tool but is a simple switch and you dont have to hunt around looking to plug in the gap tool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier