LR4 Johnson Rods + Alignment = Uneven Tire Wear. How Fix?

H3Hrly

Hello.

Had Johnson Rods installed on my 2016 LR4 about 9k miles ago by dealership; and alignment done by dealership. Tires exhibit obvious tire wear on outer side of tires. When i took the LR4 in for routine mnx at 23.5k i asked them to check alignment. Dealer stated alignment is within thresholds even though not ideal (same words after initial install of Johnson Rods).

Q: is this to be expected when installing Johnson Rods? Should i ask a different mechanic to attempt an alignment? Anything that can be done to correct this?

My concern is when i install new tires, i’d hate for them to wear unevenly from the get-go.

Additionally, i plan to install 18” compomotive wheels. Will the offset/backspacing of this wheel correct or more negatively affect the alignment causing uneven tire wear?

Thank you.

V/r
Ben

jymmiejamz

Adventurer
To me that is just going to be a fact of life when you have a lift with independent suspension. Think about the way the control arms are mounted and the angle they are when you lift it. The higher the lift the more positive camber you are going to have which will cause the tires to wear on the outside edge. There isn't that much adjustment for the camber and castor on an LR3/4.

iowalr4

Adventurer
I am a little disappointed that a dealership would even install rods. Did they sell them to you also? Did they warn you of the downsides?

Do you have an IID tool? (for when you actually do need a lift or clear a fault caused by the rods when they push the height sensors out of range off road and put you on the bump stops)

H3Hrly

Mbwesner — no, the dealership did not install the rods. The downside was mentioned after the rods were installed and I was shown the alignment results. I do not have the IID tool but will purchase once i return from deployment.

Perkj / DiscoDavis — thank you for providing your ‘vote'.

Gotta love this forum!!

iowalr4

Adventurer
once i return from deployment.

Gotta love this forum!!

Thank you for your service! Once you get that IID tool, we can show you some cool things it can do.

I just bought a new key for a little over $100 and programmed it with my IID tool. One of my keys would barely work unless it was 2" away from the vehicle. New key works perfectly.

Thank you for your service! Once you get that IID tool, we can show you some cool things it can do.

I just bought a new key for a little over $100 and programmed it with my IID tool. One of my keys would barely work unless it was 2" away from the vehicle. New key works perfectly.

I have a brand new set of rods on the shelf I never put in. If anyone wants to add some problems to their LR3 EAS, please let me know and I’ll hook you up with a good price.

IID Tool is awesome. Also did the key program and saved a ton of money and gained so much confidence in the GAP tool capabilities.

iowalr4

Adventurer
The issue is any lift, including calibration, not just rods. If you want good alignment don't lift your LR3.

I think we should all agree with this ^

The point is... when you need a lift, to clear an obstacle, for a very short time period, it is possible with EAS and is ok to be out of camber spec.

morrisdl

Adventurer
Agreed w/One small caveat: I used my adjustable rods to zero out the calibration variations between the four corners. My rods are all close to OEM lengths and truck rides OEM heights, except when I need extra lift using the IIDTOOL. With the sensors synchronized, I get more range of moment without errors.

Last edited:

iowalr4

Adventurer
Agreed w/One small caveat: I used my adjustible rods to zero out the calibration variations between the four corners. My rods are all close to OEM lengths and truck rides OEM heights, except when I need extra lift using the IIDTOOL. With the sensors synchronized, I get more range a moment without errors.

That is actually a really cool idea. I hadn't thought to do that. It is too bad you can't programmatically change the sensors output/range and do the same thing.

H3Hrly

Thanks MBWesner! It makes me proud and humbled at same time; but i really enjoy it. Can’t believe it’s been over 19 years :0

I’m definitely stoked about the tool. Guess i should have just bought that and skipped the lift.

-Ben

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles