LR4 Hidden Winch: HF DIY Install

Bassist169

Great writeup! I know this thread is a few years old but I had a couple of questions if anyone can answer.
So it looks like the original steel bumper support is no longer used with this mount; is this an issue at all? I noticed that some other options, such as the Devon mount seem to have some extensions on each side to make up for the loss of the stock support. Has anyone used the HF mount and then welded on additional support? Is it even necessary? I plan to have an A-Bar/Bull Bar fabricated for my LR4 which should allege any worry about a front end collision.
I was just curious if anyone else used this mount and modified it in any form to make it more beefy.
Thanks!

DakotaTravels

Thread necromancy. I know. Just wanted to say I did this same install today. I have to finish up with the wiring and bumper customizing, but the plate and winch are in place. Vehicle is a 2006 LR3. I am wondering how well this setup has worked. Any issues due to stress? I drilled to 1/2" with grade 8 hardware. I too am a little concerned about the thickness of the body metal and wonder if I should go a head and drill a third hole in the middle of the other two. But my concern there is now weakening of the frame. Three holes is like a perforation. What I would like to find is a grade 8 U-bolt that effectively wraps around the frame material. But I am not sure there will be room. So before I go crazy will more holes/bolts, I would love some feedback on how this setup is holding up and any new insights on this install.

Anyway, the write-up was great and very helpful. So many thanks for taking time to document it. I will add that the black plastic "Insert" or square on the LR3 seems different. I completely removed it. There are two 8mm screws that come out into the engine bay. Very hard to see and remove. The one next to the coolant tank is horrible - loosen the tank up and use a couple long extension with a u-joint to get that one. Then the plastic insert pulls sorta down and out.

For the stock bumper, I am planning on dropping it off at a place to have them cut the ends off so I can re-mount it for valve block and washer tank support.

morrisdl

Adventurer
For reference, I swapped out my HF 12K winch for a Warn VR12. The HF 15 sec use / 15 min cool down cycle was too limiting for me. I kept the HF mount and wireless controller.

20180919_140737.jpg 2018Wheeling.jpg

Last edited:

Abran

Observer
The devon winch tray is hands down the best. It has 2 tabs on each side that insert into the recess in the center of the frame and them you cross drill the frame/mount tabs and insert 2 8MM bolts per side. So in addition to the 8 bolts that are normally used you now have 4 bolts that are being used in a sheer capacity.

rewillia

Bama, et al,

I realize this is a dated thread (2016) but thought I post my questions here as a follow along;

1) can you explain how you made your penetrations into the enclosed LR3/4 battery box for the winch power cable(s) in order to maintain its water penetration resistance and possibly share a photo of such? and,

2) did you run both the +/- winch cables to the battery or did you actually run only the positive (+) and ground the negative (-) to the chassis?

morrisdl

Adventurer
I ran the ground to the same chassis stud that the battery grounds too. Its a ********** to get to, but the correct thing to do. Both of my +&- wires run around the top of the engine compartment and fit though the far passenger side seam between the lid base. I didnt have to cut anything to get to slide though there.

rewillia

Morris,

Thanks, I'll chase those locations down. Still waiting on my hidden winch tray to arrive but starting to plan the entire installation. Thanks.

Glapin

Resurrecting the dead again. Just finished my hidden winch. Used this post as my guide, so thank you and ran into my own small batch of snafus that I figured I’d share. 520850

Everything started off all peachy. Going as planned and exactly as the previous posts stated.

That was until I tried to test fit the bumper.

For some reason the winch tray sat much lower than expected and there was no way for me to mount it much higher. Anyway, trimmed the bumper accordingly and it is about as hidden as a hidden winch can get.

Glapin

Cont.

I cut the center out of the bumper support and reinstalled the corners so I had some reinforcement and the mounting for the washer bottle.

16D6291C-F426-4E77-AD0B-AEA36345E061.jpeg

Anyway, all is reinstalled, winch is wired up and runs great. Everything is pretty clean and it is very hidden.

jerdog53

Explorer
Guess I can add to this thread as well. Installed mine 2 months ago. Albeit an LR3

IMG_7108-XL.jpg

IMG_7109-XL.jpg

IMG_7113-XL.jpg

TERRAFIRMA LR3 DISCRETE WINCH MOUNT

57635651334__526F34C6-5F03-4EA8-AB44-05D919DB51C0-XL.jpg

Warn VR-12S winch

IMG_7121-XL.jpg

Ironically I used the same Boar offroad aluminum haus as you did Galpin

mawRover

I mounted mine differently and also question how strong that will be(highly doubt it's strong enough). I hope my explanation didn't lead you in this direction.

I edited your pictures to show where I drilled/mounted. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THESE ARE ROUGHLY WHERE I MOUNTED.

Good news is that you should be able to drill 2 more holes through the mount and through the LR3 frame and make it strong.

mEVDOKol.jpg

cPw4dvgl.jpg

Do you have another link to this youtube video? This one isn't working for me.

mawRover

My progress so far. Just have it mocked up with 3/8 bolts before I drill to 1/2. My winch and mount tray came from Amazon both are Zeak brand.

If anyone is still following this thread would love to hear how your harbor freight mounts are holding up.

I'm thinking about cutting down a strip of metal that will go from the top holes down to the bottom for reinforcement. I don't know enough to know if it would actually help though.

Attachments

• PXL_20210827_002330038.jpg
    PXL_20210827_002330038.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 41
  • PXL_20210827_002320309.jpg
    PXL_20210827_002320309.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 42

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles