LR4 fridge placement

treckin

A 100w renogy panel with a Victron BlueSolar 75/15 MPPT Charge Controller works well for my battery/fridge/etc setup. I have mine hooked up to my aux battery using a Traxide SC-80 setup which can also reverse charge into the start battery. The panel can be tilted up to act as a wind faring when I have my cases on the rack. Also handy to get a better angle on the sun, i tend to try and part west facing for an evening charge. You could easily get by with just a panel and main battery for just a fridge. I like to also run shower pumps, compressors, radios, etc so having the extra aux batt is nice.

IMG_20180614_160440-X2.jpg

IMG_20180614_160446-X2.jpg
View attachment 536918

Had to reply - love this rig. I have the foldable 100w setup, but I’m completely digging the way your panel is integrated!

iowalr4

Adventurer
MBWesner- where did you get the panel mounting hardware?

The hinges are just cabinet hinges, zinc plated. And some stainless bolts/nuts from local hardware store.
You'll notice I had to 'cut' the z-brackets to get clearance for the struts. I didn't use the right tool for that and it is ugly, but it works. :D

The struts hold the panel down just fine, no need for any latch or lock on the panel. Just stuck some furniture foot pad things on the panel so when it comes down and rests on the rack, it has something soft and won't rattle.

Let me know if you have other questions. The design for this just kind of popped into my head, I didn't really plan much before hand.. but it did work out. I have had it on my rack for more than a year and Haven't had any issues with it moving, or on interstates at 90 mph or anything else.

AdventureTim

I like the idea of the base plate setup, what material is the Goose Gear one made of? It looks like their boxes are all plywood but I assume the base plate is some type of HDPE or aluminum for $345.

That's what I figured, but it's birch ply with t-nuts in it. Seems plenty strong, but I was surprised.

Aside from the spare tire access issue (the swing out solves that, but then detracts from utilizing the back easily. At least that has been my experience, and why I removed it)..where do people put things like their clothes in these configurations?

I went with a swing-arm for this reason. Plus, it gives me somewhere to attach a trasharoo and I'm going to mod it to hold a propane tank.

COBlue

Thanks MBWesner!
I have some used gas struts and a Voyager rack. That looks perfect. I like the over-center in the low position.

@mbwesner Where did you put your Victron controller? I'm thinking of running the larger Victron for a remote panel option as well and ensure I am able to run a trailer later on if that is an option. I know they say the controller should be as close to the batteries as possible, however, in my case I plan to put it cabin, approximately 4-5' from the battery bay on the largest gauge wire possible. Any thoughts on this?

Yep! That's convenient if the car is being run - not if it's parked which it was for most hours of the day.

I guess we can assume a quality fridge will also have excellent insulation as well? If so maybe I should change my views....

I know I used to think the same way until I got my ARB. As for the car sitting a good battery and a noco on board battery maintainer for when you can plug it up makes it really easy to not have to worry about it too much. I’ve had the same ARB fridge in 3 vehicles over the last 8years and it’s still running just fine.

The thing is once you have a fridge you realize just how easy it is to find a use for it all of the time not just when camping. Like say you go grocery shopping but then you’re like man I’d like to go do something else beach, movie, hike, whatever. Now you just pack the cold stuff in the fridge and there’s no rush. It’s also really nice not having to deal with ice. The only time I use a cooler is when I go fishing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The thing is once you have a fridge you realize just how easy it is to find a use for it all of the time not just when camping. Like say you go grocery shopping but then you’re like man I’d like to go do something else beach, movie, hike, whatever. Now you just pack the cold stuff in the fridge and there’s no rush. It’s also really nice not having to deal with ice. The only time I use a cooler is when I go fishing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed! I installed my fridge with the ease and intent of being able to take it in and out; now its in permanently and I plug my fridge in the night before Costco runs etc since my 2nd Batt install is still in progress. I have every intent of plugging my truck into the tender/charger every night while I daily drive since most daily trips are short and do not optimize charging on the alternator.

With that said, I will not run the fridge 24/7 for life cycle purposes but having the NL fridge/freezer is worth every penny and those San Diego traffic and run into the mountain towns, range days, shopping, etc. make the fridge part of the trip; not just a nice to have.

iowalr4

Adventurer
@mbwesner Where did you put your Victron controller? I'm thinking of running the larger Victron for a remote panel option as well and ensure I am able to run a trailer later on if that is an option. I know they say the controller should be as close to the batteries as possible, however, in my case I plan to put it cabin, approximately 4-5' from the battery bay on the largest gauge wire possible. Any thoughts on this?

I would assume having the charge controller a little further away would be fine with the right wire gauges. They don't move a crazy amount of amps, but enough that you want something well connected. I just have my controller in the battery box on the side of my battery. Probably not perfectly ideal from a temp perspective, but I haven't ever noticed it getting too hot. My setup might not be optimal for battery temps.. now that I say this I might stick a temp sensor in there just to check that out.

Screen%20Shot%202018-03-22%20at%208.54.20%20AM-X3.png

Ray_G

Explorer
With that said, I will not run the fridge 24/7 for life cycle purposes but having the NL fridge/freezer is worth every penny and those San Diego traffic and run into the mountain towns, range days, shopping, etc. make the fridge part of the trip; not just a nice to have.

You may find that leaving it running is better for the life of the fridge. That was the advice I was given.

You may find that leaving it running is better for the life of the fridge. That was the advice I was given.

Interesting; I'll look into that for sure. Right now it's not wired at all because I am working on the power panel near the sleeping rack but have a plan to get power to the fridge again this week or next because I miss it! lol.

Good advice, I'll ask NL what they recommend!

perkj

Explorer

I agree with this. The worst thing for a fridge compressor is the stress of the initial cool down. My ARB stays plugged in as my beer fridge 24x7x365 and has been this way since 2012

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles