LR4 fridge placement

harbinger808

Adventurer
Hello Everyone,
Thinking about adding a fridge to our 2012 LR4 for a month long "road" trip. Planning on doing some lite off road trails since we have a 2 1/2yr and 2mon with us. Questions are...
Second row either middle seat or one of the outside seats removed for fridge... max size for both spots and pros/cons with each locale?

Do we need a second battery to run it, if so best system please?

If not in the second row, looking at this as a solution with slight mods to bring along our BOB stroller and Snowpeak IGT gear for "base" camp.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ild-(UPDATED-actual-dimensions-on-pg-4)/page6

Thanks for the help everyone. Our first time doing a road trip with our kiddos so its all new again.

perkj

Explorer
Hello Everyone,
Thinking about adding a fridge to our 2012 LR4 for a month long "road" trip. Planning on doing some lite off road trails since we have a 2 1/2yr and 2mon with us. Questions are...
Second row either middle seat or one of the outside seats removed for fridge... max size for both spots and pros/cons with each locale?

Do we need a second battery to run it, if so best system please?

If not in the second row, looking at this as a solution with slight mods to bring along our BOB stroller and Snowpeak IGT gear for "base" camp.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ild-(UPDATED-actual-dimensions-on-pg-4)/page6

Thanks for the help everyone. Our first time doing a road trip with our kiddos so its all new again.

I use to have my ARB 50L Fridge in the back on a slider on top of a platform I built, however we were always wanting access to food/drinks while on the road. This summer I removed the middle seat in the second row and placed it there....couldn't be happier and the fit is perfect (see below). Center seat was ideal to remove for three reasons (1) middle seat is the simplest to removed (no wires for heated seat or flip back mechanism for access to 3rd row) , (2) when in the center makes it very easy to access from the front seat, and (3) makes for an awesome armrest for the back seat passengers :) . For dual battery controller I went with the traxide USI-160. Here is the link to the LR4 kits: http://traxide.com.au/complete-diy-dual-battery/land-rover-dbs-kits/discovery-4-dbs-kits/
BTW - that is my LR3 and platform in the link you listed above.

ARB 50L in 2nd row with center seat removed -
IMG_4701.jpg

On platform with slider

Last edited:

harbinger808

Adventurer
Thanks for the info! Been looking at your thread for quite some time and thinking that night be the way to go. Just need to make an additional lower level to store the Snowpeak IGT system. Did you install the Traxide Kit by yourself... did you find it easy to do or best left to a shop to do it? I'm pretty sure I could do it, but since we moved to AZ from HI, I don't have tools anymore.

perkj

Explorer
Thanks for the info! Been looking at your thread for quite some time and thinking that night be the way to go. Just need to make an additional lower level to store the Snowpeak IGT system. Did you install the Traxide Kit by yourself... did you find it easy to do or best left to a shop to do it? I'm pretty sure I could do it, but since we moved to AZ from HI, I don't have tools anymore.

Installed it myself and from what recall you didn't need anything more than a basic metric ratchet set and some screw drivers.

unseenone

Explorer
Here's how I have my Snomaster 40L setup. No slide or box, need the height for the Dog. Also running the Traxide with Deka batteries. Added 100W solar to keep it all topped up with stationary for extended periods. More pics of that stuff here.

normal_20150529_151353-s.jpg

The install on the Traxide is doable with minimal tools, I wouldn't necessarily trust it to anyone else unless you don't feel competent to DIY. There are a bunch of us here that have done it, so you can get your questions answered.

Where are you planning to do your road trip? You can drive around Oahu in a few hours. There are some neat places to go there though for sure. If you're military, there used to be a DIY shop on base.

Last edited:

zelatore

Explorer
I have a Dometic (Norcold) CF50 mounted in the center 2nd row on my LR3 - love it there for all the reasons already stated.

I run it on a single battery. No problems overnighting, though if you plan to stay in one place multiple days then a dedicated house battery would be a good thing. I generally get antsy to keep moving so I don't usually sit in one place more than a day or two.

Ray_G

Explorer
I've got a 40L ironman in the middle seat location, pics are in my LR3's thread-I love the position for both the passenger getting stuff out as well as a divider for the rear seat passengers.

Running a single battery for the moment (traxide is in the U.S. and coming back in a few days). No real issues with it so long as you do as Don suggested, i.e. if you're moving every day or so you won't have issues. If you aren't camping the whole time and spending time close to house power one thing I did with my D1 was keep the 110v cord & an extension that I'd run when able to keep it off the battery.
r-
Ray

harbinger808

Adventurer
Thanks for the info and ideas unseenone! I grew up on Oahu and after starting my family, 37yrs later, I find myself in AZ calling it home for now. We are planning things out now for our trip. Thinking a lot about Sedona, Grand Canyon, then making our way to Cali. Or we may completely change things :)

Here's how I have my Snomaster 40L setup. No slide or box, need the height for the Dog. Also running the Traxide with Deka batteries. Added 100W solar to keep it all topped up with stationary for extended periods. More pics of that stuff here.

normal_20150529_151353-s.jpg

The install on the Traxide is doable with minimal tools, I wouldn't necessarily trust it to anyone else unless you don't feel competent to DIY. There are a bunch of us here that have done it, so you can get your questions answered.

Where are you planning to do your road trip? You can drive around Oahu in a few hours. There are some neat places to go there though for sure. If you're military, there used to be a DIY shop on base.

harbinger808

Adventurer
We want to plan for staying in a campsite for a day or 2 at a time. Really just depends on the conditions and how our 2 1/2yr old and 2month old will do. They definitely can handle 3-4 hours of driving at a time so we may stay as mobile as possible.
I purchased a microstart when I first bought my LR so we will have a way to jumpstart the vehicle and find a garage to install a new batt or recharge it if worse comes to worse.

I've got a 40L ironman in the middle seat location, pics are in my LR3's thread-I love the position for both the passenger getting stuff out as well as a divider for the rear seat passengers.

Running a single battery for the moment (traxide is in the U.S. and coming back in a few days). No real issues with it so long as you do as Don suggested, i.e. if you're moving every day or so you won't have issues. If you aren't camping the whole time and spending time close to house power one thing I did with my D1 was keep the 110v cord & an extension that I'd run when able to keep it off the battery.
r-
Ray

unseenone

Explorer
You are most welcome. I'll connect you up with a fellow I know down that way, he should be able to steer you to some of the local LR clubs and events. Drop me a pm if interested.

Last edited:

Ray_G

Explorer
We want to plan for staying in a campsite for a day or 2 at a time. Really just depends on the conditions and how our 2 1/2yr old and 2month old will do. They definitely can handle 3-4 hours of driving at a time so we may stay as mobile as possible.
I purchased a microstart when I first bought my LR so we will have a way to jumpstart the vehicle and find a garage to install a new batt or recharge it if worse comes to worse.

Microstart is a solid move, I love mine-its good insurance and may mitigate the need to move just a little more. I'd still start the truck once or twice a day (I can't help but turn a vehicle on at dawn & dusk...but that's the Marine in me). Jealous of the time in AZ-I'm looking forward to getting back there one day!

ColoDisco

Explorer
I am planning on the same mount and DBS eventually. If you live in AZ you should head up to Utah. Moab, cottonwood canyon, hole in the rock rd all amazing areas. Great for kids!

harbinger808

Adventurer
Thanks for the info Ray! By the way, really enjoy going through your build of your Disco3 and really like that bumper you had fabricated. If i ever decide to go with a front bumperI'll be getting the Tactcail4x4. I know I may not be hitting any animals soon with my Disco4 but I have the mentality of "plan for the worse hope for the be".
Also, I have 4 of the MOLLE panels from Blueridgoverland with some of their pouches in Coyote and they are great fro carrying around not only gear but toddler and infant items also! My plan is to have my LR completed by this summer since my wife has another 3 week vacation happening. This first trip will be a test run for our family and gear choices.

r-
Ray

harbinger808

Adventurer
I've spoken with a few guys from the AZLRO club here and they are great. Iv'e taken my Disco4 to Sierra Expeditions and Will and his team have been great with installing things for me. Just need to get some ideas and finalize so I can have them finish my rig up :)

You are most welcome. I'll connect you up with a fellow I know down that way, he should be able to steer you to some of the local LR clubs and events. Drop me a pm if interested.

Ray_G

Explorer
Thanks for the info Ray! By the way, really enjoy going through your build of your Disco3 and really like that bumper you had fabricated. If i ever decide to go with a front bumperI'll be getting the Tactcail4x4. I know I may not be hitting any animals soon with my Disco4 but I have the mentality of "plan for the worse hope for the be".
Also, I have 4 of the MOLLE panels from Blueridgoverland with some of their pouches in Coyote and they are great fro carrying around not only gear but toddler and infant items also! My plan is to have my LR completed by this summer since my wife has another 3 week vacation happening. This first trip will be a test run for our family and gear choices.

Build thread!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior