LR4 facelift coming

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
It will likely get the 3.0 Supercharged V6 at 340hp and the 8 speed transmission. No solid details available on the retailer side yet.

LR Max

Local Oaf
It will likely get the 3.0 Supercharged V6 at 340hp and the 8 speed transmission. No solid details available on the retailer side yet.

Meh. Would rather have the V8.

Also good on face lifting. Drive down the prices of the older trucks. Make them more affordable.

umbertob

Adventurer
If those reports are true, I hope the S/C V6 will be offered as a (cheaper) engine for the base LR4 trim, not as the sole replacement for the V8 in North America. Unlike the new Sport and Range Rover, the LR4 hasn't gone on a "diet" yet. Until a lighter platform comes out and the model sheds 7-800 lbs like its two Range Rover cousins just did, declawing the LR4 of 10-15% of its power and a silky smooth V8 for the sake of minimal mpg and emissions gains doesn't seem like a good idea. Only reason I can think of for such a change would be a marketing one, meaning Land Rover perhaps doesn't want the LR4 to come to North America with a bigger and more powerful standard engine than its more expensive Range Rover and Range Rover Sport models in 2014.

Last edited:
Latest Disco to be released on the South African market

DISCOVERY XS

The Discovery 4 XS. Rugged, Capable and comfortable. Designed to handle heavy loads and challenging environments with ease while possessing a definitive style. This is a tough, hardworking vehicle that delivers unbeatable utility. The 3.0 TDV6 155kW derivative with coil suspension model is available with 5 seats, 8 speed rotary shift and Hill Descend Control and 18'' alloy wheels.

Specification

DISCOVERY 4 XS STANDARD FEATURES
DISCOVERY 4 XS OPTIONS
DISCOVERY 4 XS ACCESSORY PACKS
OWN THE DISCOVERY 4 XS
Discovery 4 XS Features

Engine Badging
XS

Fuel System
Non Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)
Diesel Misfueling Protection Device

Transmission
8-speed Automatic Transmission (includes Drive Select with Paddle Shift)

Driving Dynamics
Active Roll Mitigation (ARM)
Centre Electronic Locking Differential
Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)
Front and Rear Axle Open Differential
Front and Rear Coil Suspension
Hill Descent Control (HDC®) with Gradient Release Control®
Hill Start Assist
Power Assisted Steering
Roll Stability Control (RSC)
Trip Computer with Message Centre
Cruise Control

Brakes
Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) and Electronic Traction Control (ETC)
Electric Parking Brake
Emergency Brake Assist (EBA)
Gradient Acceleration Control

Roof & Exterior Styling
Colour Coded Front Bumper
Colour Coded Mirror Caps
Oberon Black Door Handles
Unpainted Rear Bumper
Rear Wash Wiper
Tailgate Lift Handle

Glass & Exterior Mirrors
Heated , Adjustable Exterior Mirrors
Heated Rear Windscreen
Halogen Signature Headlamps

Paint
Solid
Metallic

Trim Styling
Short Length Roof Rails (black finish)

Towing
Tow Equipment
Trailer Stability Assist

Wheels & Tyres
18 inch 5-Spoke Alloy Wheel
Full Size Spare Wheel
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Tyres (255/60 R18)

Seating - Front & Rear Seat Materials
Tofino/Resolve Fabric Seats

Seating - Front & Rear Seat Functionality
Manual Front Seat Adjustment
5 Seats
Rear Folding Seats (65/35 split)

Steering - Wheel Styling
Leather Steering Wheel

Steering - Wheel Functionality
Manual Adjustable Steering Column for Height & Reach

Trim Finish
Meteor Trim Finisher

Safety & Security
First Row Driver and Passenger Front Side and Head Curtain Airbags
Second Row Head Curtain Airbags
Audible Seat Belt Warning
Rear Seat Belts ALR
Perimetric & Volumetric Alarm

Comfort & Convenience Features
One Shot Global Close Window
Push Button Start
Automatic Climate Control
Cup Holders (Rows 1 & 2)
Front Centre Console Storage Compartment (includes Front Cooler
Compartment)
Interior Rear View Mirror (with Manual Dipping)
Driver and Front Passenger Sun Visors with Vanity Mirrors
Load Space Cover (includes Parcel Shelf)
Rear Parking Aid

Information, Communication & Entertainment
Steering Wheel Mounted Audio Controls
Bluetooth® Phone Connection
Land Rover Audio System - (Visteon LOC+ CAN architecture) (includes 8
Speakers, Radio, Single Slot CD Player, Auxiliary Input, 4.2" TFT Colour Display 80 Watts)
Single USB & Scroll Control iPod® Connectivity

mpinco

Expedition Leader
As I have heard, the S/C V6 will be the base engine, with the V8 the upgrade. Also read that it will adopt the RRS Al chassis and shed 800lbs. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Disco4 move "up market". In summary the 'new' Discovery with S/C V6, Al frame and up level interior starts at a higher price. The V8 adds another $xxxx. HSE and HD even more. Bet they get to or break the $70K price.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Not all of that will happen this year. The LR4 makes the company too much money right now and it has paid for its own development costs many times over. They will give it a gentle facelift and repower to fit with the rest of the line, and look for an all new version in another 2 years or so.

discotdi

Adventurer
If those reports are true, I hope the S/C V6 will be offered as a (cheaper) engine for the base LR4 trim, not as the sole replacement for the V8 in North America. Unlike the new Sport and Range Rover, the LR4 hasn't gone on a "diet" yet. Until a lighter platform comes out and the model sheds 7-800 lbs like its two Range Rover cousins just did, declawing the LR4 of 10-15% of its power and a silky smooth V8 for the sake of minimal mpg and emissions gains doesn't seem like a good idea. Only reason I can think of for such a change would be a marketing one, meaning Land Rover perhaps doesn't want the LR4 to come to North America with a bigger and more powerful standard engine than its more expensive Range Rover and Range Rover Sport models in 2014.

340 HP should be plenty. Remember the original LR3 had a 300 HP engine. I imagine it will be the only engine choice. Having driven both the 14 sport and RR with the SC V6 it seems very powerful. And fuel economy is pretty good really.

umbertob

Adventurer
340 HP should be plenty. Remember the original LR3 had a 300 HP engine.

I remember, barely... :) That was almost 10 years ago, when 300hp seemed adequate for an SUV. Today, a base Ford Explorer makes about 300hp, and it's nowhere near the porky gross weight of the LR4. The V6 S/C sounds perfectly appropriate for the slimmed down 2014 Range Rover and new RRS, both of which are now substantially lighter than their predecessors, I just don't think it will feel anywhere near as powerful or turn out to be as fuel efficient pushing the still obese LR4 around.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
340 HP should be plenty. Remember the original LR3 had a 300 HP engine. I imagine it will be the only engine choice. Having driven both the 14 sport and RR with the SC V6 it seems very powerful. And fuel economy is pretty good really.

Given that an engine is basically an air pump, a V6 will be inadequate at altitude. I'm already down 20% so that 340hp is now 270hp. Suspect torque curve is not favorable to the V6. Add a trailer to the LR4 and those hills/mountain passes are going to put a lot of strain on the drivetrain. Nothing like displacement (hp AND torque) at altitude.

Edit add: I have a 95 LWB with a Isky camm'ed 4.6L and it is not up to the task of pulling a 19' TT (5000lbs wet) through the mountains and side roads. I get there but it is under a lot of strain and sometimes 1st gear on a paved state highway. (Followers are non too happy)

Last edited:

Mack73

Adventurer
Given that an engine is basically an air pump, a V6 will be inadequate at altitude. I'm already down 20% so that 340hp is now 270hp. Suspect torque curve is not favorable to the V6. Add a trailer to the LR4 and those hills/mountain passes are going to put a lot of strain on the drivetrain. Nothing like displacement (hp AND torque) at altitude.

Edit add: I have a 95 LWB with a Isky camm'ed 4.6L and it is not up to the task of pulling a 19' TT (5000lbs wet) through the mountains and side roads. I get there but it is under a lot of strain and sometimes 1st gear on a paved state highway. (Followers are non too happy)

That's why it is supercharged ;)

The supercharger will reduce the effect of altitude on the engine

But honestly, other than towing at high altitude, the 300 HP in my LR3 is plenty fine for the weight.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
That's why it is supercharged ;)

The supercharger will reduce the effect of altitude on the engine

But honestly, other than towing at high altitude, the 300 HP in my LR3 is plenty fine for the weight.

Superchargers are also affected by altitude. Less boost. So the scaling for altitude is the same.

Edit add: Unless LR is changing pully ratios based on altitude :)

Agreed on low altitude. Towing the TT across the midwest with the RRC and 240hp was fine. It was when I was over ~3-4000ft that I needed more hp/torque.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
A supercharger would be affected by altitude if it is already running maxed out, volume wise. The superchargers in Land Rover's OEM applications are significantly oversized for their output and run a substantial amount of air through a recirculation valve to limit max boost. As altitude increases, the engine management system maintains manifold pressure by modulating the recirc valve and using more or less of the superchargers capacity as necessary.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
A supercharger would be affected by altitude if it is already running maxed out, volume wise. The superchargers in Land Rover's OEM applications are significantly oversized for their output and run a substantial amount of air through a recirculation valve to limit max boost. As altitude increases, the engine management system maintains manifold pressure by modulating the recirc valve and using more or less of the superchargers capacity as necessary.

Thanks! Good to know.

I'll still stay with displacement for towing. Less stress and longer engine life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles