LR4 and Trailer Build

OK2CO

New forum member here but I’ve been lurking for a while looking at all of your sweet rigs. We own a 2012 LR4 and have decided to build it into a more capable over landing vehicle. We also bought a new 5x8 cargo trailer that we will be converting into an over landing trailer as well.

I figured I would start a thread so I can share our progress along the way.

16d5789c3416d4f259b33bb9c24bf52a.jpg

This pic is with factory wheels and the Voyager roof rack I picked up on FB marketplace for $600.

c0fa06b0ab20b6ffe9fef13020bcce97.jpg

This is with the Tuffant alloys and Nitto Terra Grapplers were put on. I have also ordered a 2” coil conversion kit and I’m waiting for that to arrive. My wife is a retired disabled vet if anyone was wondering why we’re parked there. It’s nice having DV plates sometimes. Haha

We are retiring in about 4 years to sail around the world. This setup will be our land based home when we travel back to the states to visit so we wanted something more reliable than the air suspension since it will be sitting for long periods of time. That’s the main reason for switching to coils. I know there’s the coil vs air camps out there and that’s ok. This is what we chose to do and you’re free to choose what you want to do.

e28ac14e61cb1f85f3f3f75061a81544.jpg

This is the inside of the trailer. It’s a blank canvas and we are planning on doing a kitchen in the back and storage in the front. We bought a 30x42 RV door to install on the passenger side of the trailer. I’ll be building a roof rack so I can mount the RTT that has been ordered on the trailer. Power will be supplied by a solar generator, probably Bluetti EB70. We have the Camp Chef Outdoor Stove and Oven because we like to cook. We have ordered the Iceco VL60 for the fridge freezer.

Current list of things to do not listed above:
Hidden winch
Figure out a spare tire solution
OBA, VIAIR 400P
LED lights on vehicle and trailer
CB
Recovery gear
Hi lift jack
Spare fuel

There’s some more smaller items that we’ll get along the way but this is a good start.

I hope you enjoy following along. I will be posting in this thread as we progress. We are hoping to have most of this complete by the end of June so we can utilize it this summer in the mountains of Colorado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gatorgrizz27

Looking forward to the build. Any reason you aren’t setting the trailer up to sleep inside? IMO that’s far preferable to a RTT. You could still do the kitchen in the rear and storage under the bed.

OK2CO

Looking forward to the build. Any reason you aren’t setting the trailer up to sleep inside? IMO that’s far preferable to a RTT. You could still do the kitchen in the rear and storage under the bed.

We thought about doing that but we prefer the tent. We have kids so they will have a sleep setup in the trailer.

OK2CO

We made a little progress today by getting the bases for the cook stove and fridge/freezer done. We’re waiting on the drawer slides to be delivered so we can test fit everything and then start building the cabinets and drawers for the kitchen.

79d2b8a8120f4b2f75dbbc61abf5d4b1.jpg

9739fa63ee4a4b7effd26bc8555603a6.jpg

32edcd1d4109214ba845b272b3df6fd9.jpg

350e84bce69a5f2bad9f5699c1e16e78.jpg

I used 2x2 aluminum for the frames. And 3/4” material for the bottoms.

OK2CO

We finally got the trailer out to a buddy’s shop so we could get some more work done. We got the side door installed and vertical supports welded in to support the rack we’re going to build.

Here is the trailer before we started cutting the hole for the door.

826e5c1c4512a88bcf560a53b3baafd6.jpg

Here is a picture of the framing I welded in to screw the door to.

09fe1c228282c0c4c2b6d5cae32ea5b3.jpg

Door installed

260850fdb242daa6ab319627ec52b57d.jpg

a9edd4cdfd20dec00202a855a0945ddf.jpg

6e9ced6342e9c2b4ee540af5d5dc2a48.jpg

The trailer came with 3/8” plywood on the walls and we are putting 3/4” to add additional structural support as well as being able to attach anything we want to it.

You also can’t see it in the picture but we added 1x1 square tubing to the vertical wall structure to beef it up a little and to be able to mount the rack to. The factory wall structure is a “Z” style so I was able to slide the square tubing behind one leg and weld it up. This was a crucial upgrade for supporting the weight of a rack, RTT, and us in the tent.

OK2CO

We’ve made some more progress on the build.

Drivers side fender

5f0f62d39cad395a45819a874a4ffaff.jpg

Passenger side fender

38ad3565e46c9f8021b21f6001168f2f.jpg

Terrafirma 2” coil conversion on the LR4 is complete. It was a very easy swap and it took us 4-5 hours to do including wiring in the harness that comes with the kit.

309f437de097fbbc36a31aa806b6e0e2.jpg

I ended up getting 3” of lift in the front and 2 1/4” lift in the back. I love the way it looks and no more air suspension maintenance!

acbc0520184ae05f1d787799d01a6149.jpg

Today’s project is to blackout the logos and air vents using plasti dip

c9ec93dba88bf0df42aad6e712db2f73.jpg

58cf25f345f7849307cd893319a0ecef.jpg

OK2CO

Looks awesome! (From a long time lurker to another)

What's the on-road ride difference going from the bags to coils?

I have been very pleased with the ride. The bags always felt like they had some float to them and the coils definitely feel more stable. There’s really not a whole lot of difference in the ride other than that.

I am very happy I made the swap. I think the ride is better and the long term maintenance is minimal now.

OK2CO

Nice find on the Voyager rack. Used racks are hard to find on the cheap.

Thank you! I didn’t try to offer any less than what they were asking because I knew I wouldn’t find another one. I was happy to pay $600 for the rack

krick3tt

Adventurer
Taking away the air suspension eliminates the ability to raise and lower the LR. I am guessing there was no need to raise the vehicle for going off road as the trail will always be smooth with no rocks. No need to lower it to get in a garage.

OK2CO

Taking away the air suspension eliminates the ability to raise and lower the LR. I am guessing there was no need to raise the vehicle for going off road as the trail will always be smooth with no rocks. No need to lower it to get in a garage.

I have no need to lower the vehicle. It fits in my garage just fine with the 2” coil lift and roof rack. What other smartass comment do you have? Do you go down rocky trails in access mode? Do you go down the highway in raised mode? If you don’t like the idea of coils then move on and don’t make a ************** comment. It must suck to be so miserable that you have to comment like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94