LR3 V. 4Runner Need To Buy One Now.

DCH109

Adventurer
instrument cluster ($1800), EPB, etc so one year was almost $6K in repairs.
Close to that in my wife's family hauler Yukon. dropped 3K in one afternoon. It was a PITA. but again the little things.

The ONLY thing that I have a problem on with Land Rovers and this has been for most British made vehicles. I swear if it was built on a Tuesday - Thursday it is the best built vehicle. Monday is a crap shoot and Friday.....you might as well sign up for rental cars weekly.

Still has not stopped me from owning over my lifetime something like 15 of them (British vehicles that is).

vasily

Adventurer
Close to that in my wife's family hauler Yukon. dropped 3K in one afternoon. It was a PITA. but again the little things.

The ONLY thing that I have a problem on with Land Rovers and this has been for most British made vehicles. I swear if it was built on a Tuesday - Thursday it is the best built vehicle. Monday is a crap shoot and Friday.....you might as well sign up for rental cars weekly.

Both of mine are Wednesday cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75Denver

Hello, I'm not sure where you're located but I've wanted this since the first time by buddy pulled up in it. I'm in a low mileage 100series and can't afford to have both. He's meticulous in his maintenance and so was the previous owner. Not sure if this helps you make a decision, but it's a good comparison against whatever you're looking at currently.

CBnCO

Has your current LR3 been problematic? The 08’s seem to be the best sorted, you should be familiar by now with the very common issues, and most of the faults can be cleared on the spot with a IID tool.

Anything can break down, I had a 2000 Suburban which are generally regarded as bulletproof. I was stranded in it due to a brake caliper bolt backing out, which then also cracked the wheel. Extremely simple fix if you’ve got the bolt, but how many carry stuff like that? They also regularly kill fuel pumps, which requires dropping the tank, and usually a floor jack and stands as the car has to be lifted to get the tank out, and the lines aren’t long enough to let it sit on the ground connected.
Problematic...hmm..I guess that's all perspective..let's see: seized e-brake caliper, control arms, suspension compressor, tailgate actuator, thermostat housing x2, alternator, wheel hub, water egress (sunroof drain ends, A-pillar covers, window cowling..caused wiring corrosion/suspension faults & radio failure), burst coolant bleed valve, key replacement & program $350!, broken latches on glove box and center console, suspension select switch replace...plus normal maintenance items (brakes, rotors, tires, battery, lights, etc)..and, I'm probably forgetting a few over the 9 years of ownership..so to a LR owner, probably normal..to a Toyota owner, probably problematic.

CBnCO

Hello, I'm not sure where you're located but I've wanted this since the first time by buddy pulled up in it. I'm in a low mileage 100series and can't afford to have both. He's meticulous in his maintenance and so was the previous owner. Not sure if this helps you make a decision, but it's a good comparison against whatever you're looking at currently.

That's pretty nice given it's maintenance record...you can find similar in terms of year/mileage without in the $8-$9K range..but, you'd
probably have to plan on $4-5K to cover deferred maintenance....I used to live in Reno and an easy drive back to CO..hmmm. Thanks

XJLI

Adventurer

This is a great deal, and I'd be flying out to buy or get it shipped if it was a year from now when I'll be looking. If the interior were black it would be perfect.

Model97

My 4 was totaled last year, decided to get a 3 instead. i like it a lot. I like it more. 2008 HSE / 115K miles $9K, purchased in the fall of 2018. Since then I've had to put another $5K into it (Mechanic: starter, alternator / belts / tensioners, all brake lines ouch, the large positive battery terminal octopus cable. Me: EAS control manifolds slow leaks, diff / trans case / trans fluids, brakes, trailer wiring, lube the lower steering column knuckle. ) From my perspective it isn't an issue of "I've put more into it than it's worth" but more of "what are the alternatives to have a equally capable 4WD". In my work parking lot I see a dozen >$40K jacked and modified Jeeps. I still think this is a super bargain ride.

My 4 was totaled last year, decided to get a 3 instead. i like it a lot. I like it more. 2008 HSE / 115K miles $9K, purchased in the fall of 2018. Since then I've had to put another $5K into it (Mechanic: starter, alternator / belts / tensioners, all brake lines ouch, the large positive battery terminal octopus cable. Me: EAS control manifolds slow leaks, diff / trans case / trans fluids, brakes, trailer wiring, lube the lower steering column knuckle. ) From my perspective it isn't an issue of "I've put more into it than it's worth" but more of "what are the alternatives to have a equally capable 4WD". In my work parking lot I see a dozen >$40K jacked and modified Jeeps. I still think this is a super bargain ride.

All of those repairs/preventative maintenance actions will get you another 100k on mileage; outside of fluids of course! I agree with you and once we know how to work on the LR3/4, they are not that complicated to be honest; especially with the wealth of community knowledge on this site. I have yet to come across a problem I could not get help with and in turn I've contributed the same from my experiences asking for help in return.

Parts cost and such is always a problem; but even then we are starting to see much better deals on parts for the older Rovers through the major aftermarket Rover spots.

CBnCO

That's pretty nice given it's maintenance record...you can find similar in terms of year/mileage without in the $8-$9K range..but, you'd
probably have to plan on $4-5K to cover deferred maintenance....I used to live in Reno and an easy drive back to CO..hmmm. Thanks
Thanks for the heads up. I actually bought this LR3 and drove it back from Reno a couple weeks ago. Smooth transaction, was well maintained and already fitting into our now 2 x LR3 stable here in the CO mountains. Owning a Toyota will have to wait. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles