LR3 upgrades options what to do

DCH109

Adventurer
So I have a 2007 LR3 with 170K on the odometer. It is a non HD version but I do have a full size spare (I bought this immediately after purchasing the vehicle).
It has had a bunch of maintenance work done recently and is completely stock.Everything is in working order (well still have to do the leaking steering rack). I bought the LR3 as I like not only the ride but the overall style of the vehicle. This is my second one.

I am looking at doing some upgrades to the Rover and for the first time am stuck on what to do first.
Normally I have a plan and get everything ready, but do to the pandemic, I canceled my yearly trek and decided to build this up over the next 8-10 months. This gives me more time.
The plan is to make this my overland vehicle/ daily driver. I will eventually tow my M101a2 trailer that is will be modified to a camper (that I have a solid plan for) .
One thing I will upgrade on the Rover is the trailer hitch, it is far to low. I am picking up either a Curt or a unit out of Australia that moved the hitch up the the rear recovery point height.

What I have been considering.

2nd battery, Although I am not sure it will be needed with the trailer.
Coil Spring conversion; still not convinced as I do not want any warning lights on the dash. Atlantic British has a good set and Rovers North claims theirs do not have any dash lights unless I am reading it wrong.
Hidden winch or winch bumper (thoughts)
Gas tank skid plates
Other skid plated
Rock sliders
Nice to have would be a rear locker, but I am not sure it is needed at this point or any time soon.

Where would you start?

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Sort out your Air Suspension first.

I had duel battery for a while but pulled the kit as I was just using it for aux lights.
What is wrong with your Air suspension besides age? I have both My 08 has Air and my wife's 06 has coils. they ride pretty close despite what people will say. I can drive them back to back and cant tell. A well sorted air suspension is really nice for what it dose. As to the Dash light I wired in the AB black box and have know lights and with the Lift rods in the offload screen works correctly too.
just get the hidden winch and keep it light, same with rock sliders I have Tactical 4x4 and think they are to heavy I would get the TeraFerma ones from Lucky 8.
You dont need the rear locker even if they are nice to have. save them money and use it to go somewhere...

As a matter of fact sort you suspension and save the rest of the money you would spend on the truck and go have an adventure. The accessory just steal your travel funds. As Travelers we should be thinking about more about the travel than the lifts winches sliders and Tires. The experiences will be better than the truck toys any day..

Howski

Properly sort your air suspension
All terrain tires
GAP or RSW too to program a bit of additional suspension height
Hidden winch (if necessary); there are many good options
Sliders or other armor (if necessary); unless you’re taking it on very difficult and rocky trails neither of these might be necessary
Forget the bulky trailer and get a good ground tent. The LR3 has a lot of room for storage inside

Go have fun. These vehicle are very capable from the factory

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Oh and this Is the Hitch you need, the Rhino Hitch.
6C3A717E-808A-40E2-B0A3-DA8C2DC9D4A3.jpeg
I have one and they are the best for these trucks.

Last edited:

DCH109

Adventurer
Other than older the suspension is good. Goes up and down like it should and after a week of sitting in the driveway does not lose air so seems like there are no leaks.
My concern is based on my last LR3 which was leaking, drop to the bump stops ever night and had a suspension fault once (new compressor fixed that) still leaked though.

The new one (well new to me) is solid on the suspension so far. It is just a concern and I was thinking the springs vs the air for reliability. I guess of course I could carry some spares for the EAS. I do know the EAS is great for towing .

The trailer will be setup for long hauls. Short trips I may not bring it and I have a solid ground tent as well. The trailer while heavy now just as it is, will go on a diet and while it's overall weight will be reduced, it will gain weight with the camper build it will get. The idea is that it can be towed with anything and will be a camper of sorts with a stove, fridge, heat, water and a mini bathroom. It is a longer project and one I am doing with my kids. I have the trailer now stored in my garage.

Now the sliders are a possibility.
I was thinking about the winch as I happen to have a 10K model that I pulled of my FJ60 as I am selling it (the FJ60 not the winch). So i might as well put it to use on the LR3. Now hidden vs bumper that is the question.

The GAP and RSW I have been looking at. Since I carry a laptop anyways (surface tablet) everywhere I travel, I have been looking at the RSW tool. GAP is great no doubt as well and may be the one I get.
I did pickup a new Llams unit off a member here for a killer price (less than 1/3 retail) but have yet to install it.

@TexasTJ I am looking at a similar hitch out of Australia. The Rhino Hitch I can get local so that is even better.

Last edited:

jgdisco2

Adventurer
I just googled that hitch...good golly is it expensive!! it looks great and I'm sure it functions well but for $634 before tax and shipping, I'll stick with my OEM or buy a Reese hitch for that money

As for the lr3...make sure some of the plastic cooling bits are replaced, saves you a major pain in the long run. Like others have said good air suspension and a set of tires and you're good to go, unless you're rock crawling.

DCH109

Adventurer
I just googled that hitch...good golly is it expensive!! it looks great and I'm sure it functions well but for $634 before tax and shipping, I'll stick with my OEM or buy a Reese hitch for that money

As for the lr3...make sure some of the plastic cooling bits are replaced, saves you a major pain in the long run. Like others have said good air suspension and a set of tires and you're good to go, unless you're rock crawling.
No rock crawling not even close. Only know of one place that I would go that may be tough to get into, but is still doable.
More worried about driving into a ditch HA!

I am sorting out the known issues like the cooling, pcv and valve cover. I just replaced both cats as they were bad.

The hitch is expensive. But the M101 is a tall trailer. Even if I remove the hydraulic brakes and convert electrical it still sits up high. My wife has a Yukon XL and the hitch sits about the same height as the LR plow hitch (which i have)
I need close to a 10" drop mount inverted to have the trailer level. So yes it is expensive and the Curt is much cheaper. But I can sell my LR3 plow hitch to recoup some of the cash. Getting it out of Aus come out to about the same price.
Plus shopping around I found it cheaper without tax and shipping.

I am planning on reducing the overall height of it, but still.

To give you an idea (that F150 sits very high in the back)

Attachments

• P1180815.JPG
    P1180815.JPG
    632 KB · Views: 40

DCH109

Adventurer
So far:

the ongoing theme is:
2nd battery, Although I am not sure it will be needed with the trailer. <-- NO

Coil Spring conversion; still not convinced as I do not want any warning lights on the dash. Atlantic British has a good set and Rovers North claims theirs do not have any dash lights unless I am reading it wrong. <- Stock should be OK for now and keep spares of needed parts?
Hidden winch or winch bumper (thoughts) <-Hidden winch
Gas tank skid plates <-no comments
Other skid plated <- no comments
Rock sliders YES but look at the lighter ones
Nice to have would be a rear locker, but I am not sure it is needed at this point or any time soon. <- problably a waste for what i will be using it for.

soflorovers

So far:

the ongoing theme is:
2nd battery, Although I am not sure it will be needed with the trailer. <-- NO

Coil Spring conversion; still not convinced as I do not want any warning lights on the dash. Atlantic British has a good set and Rovers North claims theirs do not have any dash lights unless I am reading it wrong. <- Stock should be OK for now and keep spares of needed parts?
Hidden winch or winch bumper (thoughts) <-Hidden winch
Gas tank skid plates <-no comments
Other skid plated <- no comments
Rock sliders YES but look at the lighter ones
Nice to have would be a rear locker, but I am not sure it is needed at this point or any time soon. <- problably a waste for what i will be using it for.

The reality is that the LR3 is a large vehicle; you will inevitably get hung up on some obstacle as the breakover angle is significantly worse than say a 2-door YJ, TJ, JK, JL, etc... That said, you're the only person that can determine whether or not you need under body protection. My previous LR3 was a super low mileage and mint example that saw plenty of trail time. The only modifications to that truck were 275/65/18 Duratracs and a Proud Rhino rod lift. I can only think of 2 or 3 occasions where I lightly made contact with an obstacle. Even so, I wasn't comfortable with spending thousands of dollars and adding hundreds of pounds to a truck that was my daily driver for 99% of the time.

My current LR3 on the other hand is a pure trail rig with 173k miles; I use and abuse the thing as such. My rock sliders and front skid plate are absolutely trashed, but as my profile picture demonstrates, my LR3's previous owner really liked to beat the heck out of the truck. The fuel tank is still running the original steel cover without any additional protection and it has been beat to absolute ****. That said, the fuel tank is still miraculously in one piece. For reference, here's what my front skid plate looks like.

Attachments

• D2CA743C-E473-4EC3-943C-2C19BBF3B27A.jpeg
    D2CA743C-E473-4EC3-943C-2C19BBF3B27A.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:

DCH109

Adventurer
The reality is that the LR3 is a large vehicle; you will inevitably get hung up on some obstacle as the breakover angle is significantly worse than say a 2-door YJ, TJ, JK, JL, etc... That said, you're the only person that can determine whether or not you need under body protection. My previous LR3 was a super low mileage and mint example that saw plenty of trail time. The only modifications to that truck were 275/65/18 Duratracs and a Proud Rhino rod lift. I can only think of 2 or 3 occasions where I lightly made contact with an obstacle. Even so, I wasn't comfortable with spending thousands of dollars and adding hundreds of pounds to a truck that was my daily driver for 99% of the time.

My current LR3 on the other hand is a pure trail rig with 173k miles; I use and abuse the thing as such. My rock sliders and front skid plate are absolutely trashed, but as my profile picture demonstrates, my LR3's previous owner really liked to beat the heck out of the truck. The fuel tank is still running the original steel cover without any additional protection and it has been beat to absolute ****. That said, the fuel tank is still miraculously in one piece. For reference, here's what my front skid plate looks like.
That skid plate has seen better days, but works for sure.

JackW

Explorer
Rock Sliders are always the first upgrade that I recommend - it will be the first accessory fitted to my new 110 when it arrives in October.

jaamrode

My LR3 has 155k on it and my use case seems to be about like yours. For towing if you get a curt receiver hitch you can’t fit a full size tire do to the way it mounts to the frame. So forget about any increase in tire size if you go that route. Here is the receiver I built for my trailer.
f294da6db8948b80c4e87396159cb4ee.jpg

I tow an off road trailer on all sorts of trails. Also tow our 7000lb travel trailer.

9e3ea80bc42704e3ee195683f7f90a5c.jpg

c55faf9d49fa61f051059cc24e28075c.jpg

1d87a70744ce4da0ac3c20c9b087d79e.jpg

On the front end I built a receiver as well so I can put my winch on for the trail but I don’t have the weight for 99% of my driving

bae660edcbb0b71189d91178e073cca1.jpg

a1be1aa30d9b51794450dbc77208bb8d.jpg

As far as under protection I don’t have any and i have a couple of scratches on the frame but not much. Pick your lines well and you can get through most anything. No need to add hundreds of pounds.

I have done some pretty serious stuff if you are familiar with trails in southwest Colorado here is some of if us going up Poughkeepsie Gulch. The us winching up a stock Rubicon.
3c70b91e952881f16ebc4669d43cca12.jpg

c370bad6ab72397648daafa0d770b88e.jpg

7f86777ba50fe917288da6f6c2c56906.jpg

Absolute number one thing I’ve bought is the iid tool from Gap. Hope this helps in your thought process.

jaamrode

One last thing if the plastic coolant bleeder valve on top of the engine is still there replace it with a brass one.

garrycol

The last thing you would want to do is get rid of the air suspension - is the best part of the vehicle - the air system is simple, so learn how it works. For extra security fit an Emergency Air Up system so you can raise each air bag individually with a tyre air compressor if there is a fault in the system. With the air system get LLAMS fitted (is expensive but worth it) so you can change height from access to super extended at the switch of two buttons (LLAMS and the console button) - you also get around the 50kph speed limit at off road height.

I have the Mitchell Bros rear hitch that was mentioned and it is worth every cent - the LR3 plough tow bar is not good and can develop cracks with repeated pounding on rock.

Good luck with whatever you decide but do not be scared of the air system.

Garry

Attachments

• IMG_0089.JPG
    IMG_0089.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0327.JPG
    IMG_0327.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 31

DCH109

Adventurer
@jaamrode This is exactly what I was looking for. I know a lot of the trails around Colorado as I have been going out there for a number of years. Thanks!

@garrycol Thanks! I have the LLAMS system not fitted yet. I picked it up very cheap and brand new from someone selling it, it is a v2 model. I am going to have to look into that emergency air up. Never thought about it.

Everyone thanks.
This give me a lot of food for thought.
For sure the hitch (already ordered one).
Looking at the receiver on the front as an option since my winch is already in a carrier (had a spare and easier to move around the garage).
Rock sliders, more to protect the rockers than anything.
And I think that is it.
I may get an underbody skid plate, but it may not be needed at this point. More important is spares for the EAS and i have to look into that emergency air up. This sounds like a great idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles