LR3 underhood compressor

For anyone who might find this helpful. I mounted a single ARB in the space in front of the spare battery compartment. I think my mount is somewhat unique since it doesn't require a fab shop.

Because of the unique shape of the sheet metal in that area there isn't a flat place to mount to. I created a mold to make a peice that would sit between the sheet metal and compressor and allow it to sit flat.
First thing was buying modeling clay from a craft store. Then shaping it around where I want to have the compressor sit. I drilled 4 holes that would accept the mounting bolts that came with the ARB. The idea was to pass those through the mounting bracket on the compressor through the molded part and then through the sheet metal. I could then thread the nuts and large fender washers in through the wheel well.
Once the I was happy with the clay I mixed my two part liquid plastic labeled on amazon "Smooth-Cast 300 Liquid Plastic Compound" and made by Smooth-On. Then poured it in, waited for the plastic to harden and then removed the clay. I was left with a mount that perfectly matched the geometry of the sheet metal and was flat on top.

NOW this was a first attempt and I will admit there is a lot of room for improvement. Things I would change:

1. Clean surfaces much better before clay and casting.
  2. Use mold release on surfaces
  3. Use straws instead of wooden dowels to make through holes in mold
  4. Use a different cast plastic compound. The 300 series was a little brittle, I dropped it on the ground from about 3 feet up and a corner broke clean off. Also go with something already black or gray so I didn't have to spray paint the final product.
Overall though it turned out pretty good, and after a couple of trips and many more highway miles it's still holding strong.
View attachment 470809View attachment 470810View attachment 470811View attachment 470812View attachment 470813View attachment 470814
Any pics with the final install?

douglastic

I decided on a portable Viair. Reasons:

1. not subject to constant underhood heat (can stow in car or garage when not needed)
2. easier for other cars to share (my own, friends, trailers, bikes, etc)
3. no air locker (or other on-board air requirement)

On-board sure looks cool tho.

gatorgrizz27

I went onboard for two reasons. #1 being my spare tire is larger than stock, so it needs to be deflated to fit under the car. #2, I didn’t want the ability to forget my compressor in the garage or leave it in another vehicle.

The ARB has a thermal cutoff switch, so I was less concerned about underhood heat. I’m also not going to air up 3-4 vehicles tires at a time. I’m going to do mine, and then potentially help someone with a cheap compressor that failed or is holding up everyone else.

I put mine in the driver’s side under hood box which keeps it protected from dust and water, and mounted the switch inside it as well. It’s hot here, there are bugs, and it rains a lot. I don’t want to subject any passengers to keeping the doors open and the noise of it being mounted inside the vehicle.

I had enough space to mount my continuous duty solenoid and bus bar in the same box as well.

A3704AE5-336A-47E8-9AA4-E16D02031BAB.jpegD7D261D5-07CB-4A53-9812-92BAA911BF69.jpeg

low_49

Whats this button do...
I mounted mine and had almost the exact same setup as Gatorgrizz27 and chose that location for the same reasons. it worked great and never had any issues.

kh406

I have that unit in my LR3. It's fine for airing up tires.
I schlepped around a PowerTank for number of years before setting up the onboard air, and I consider the ARB a big improvement. Of course, once you are all set up and in place, the PowerTank is faster, but the ARB is quick and convenient to access and not bad in terms of air-up time, always there, and out of the way.
I have an aux battery installed, so I placed the unit in front of the battery.
Gotta admit that I'm a bit jealous of Jeepers when it comes to installation. I did a google search and found an aftermarket bracket for Jeeps that lets them tuck this somewhere under the hood. I got to spend an afternoon with a friend who has a fab shop, and he created the mount from scratch/imagination. Works great!

HiUC2foO_wdlBVD9OAHt_sfEg4X5JAtrP81LxZm4BJJqHJpX-RfmF-QxfrAObHyxlv68E51U7w5IKDnfL1BkThBAGe9tOxQW4pl9lP_YGU0BxR_oXIiEj079iP_bB3zdXCu0da4EN-WwusVRg5UJqjGie-L04TiDAyh-NH_TW50GzMmGAbxK0Uq8j9wdL37iVFQ93_Sk2Nzn1JtXgk3DKCG7K1mzuSgbavQQWgfhqpmyGZ82H1TNoVUxgnrsehKmVb-hZXldV0iRraego9ZwUL3AXCvQAW3qLah5j9UM9WRR2I8GV0wI96JVBfFymaTCa9mnpTkSCa9QE3Omx4NA9CdfSeroH1h3oLwjvS80RHc2KrHFxw0oLlJsJSvmqlQmDclEvVcKlSGIAztMUKS4pLSBfPtrQKPuTxXV52FzgsCjdMo6vr_aE5w5ant6y8VvP35UmdGd_wKvpTV4YGSN-FFrFp8OxJvAoZxvmlxUMahyQS-ua1IDFJdTp3MZTNkGkD62DiUz5nqA1TNt-Faf8HmdDq4Hep2_871YaSBs4dQOc7XrcdItqRbY3wsmDDN9-MpS5895RabDcWhv3pZwr0RwDQb_4Ex--f-X8Jy5kKynDzo-XF_idQazggbS08Stk1MGWl5fPuCnWuc_x4oVKAuUAFUudAJ08g=w847-h635-no

c1T_UTUMmUewGA-PLKGCFZw_N671MYXCzzAOit7pHnb1ZDuiBiJoz2-oRRrgZK0Ai3mWHLfK_7iHoeJ7bkPkzaDF0HL-KAa9X1kWy8cV_YuQbS2p6M8VFgA0kQIvkl0-sMXBzVSSFR4wYXaFPJm4HvxQDijZu3Xk9QQXoo81KpeTO7x4nY7z4kb1idcyLAXTkTMz65JxMg1cXEfPaBffeY-AtGcxN1FnypzWQEFCIUSr2KtelwkCF8FF3KP2FZ2WzirZCCLwYLmEeGS1Omhed9kpLErAJ69khV5SDtwSPhZIDo1XMM0LlEG-e58golMM6JtO5mA9-Pwnhj9DOQu9SYW6Z9VxjXMl4388LTefYTZPxYK4MQFxZ9v7n4EvKTcRIwC6GlKtMGKbdhnmtOF1mF5xzJDXxNHIPZ_xq32ptM3AWZBTORnPweFueQyvIlttfPvXceeMkfTJNi_o9C-iLbGTDeIycI8U4uYerraLfhDfDQ9Lgem7F8_M2leJ5kOAfuH0i6U4OhQbhu9mxGIcUprytnhKPVLhNypi2eRWpmrqsClK6to5sMbIOpeWVYF65_Y1puIEaZeR0mv0E8gr4k3fqjuZQF9D6P47HUIsbWSdXHJh29WKOKhF7XBjcVnk8Bc510cmYbtv-35ErYzUJ2Xxyt0jczthQA=w847-h635-no
what did you do for an aux battery setup? You mentioned the compressor being near it?? I would love to have an aux battery as backup, and also an aircompressor on board for tires but also for things like mtn bikes, kayaks, etc. Would be nice all around tool to have on board and love the idea that you fit both under the hood somehow.

XJLI

Adventurer
With how good the lithium packs and solar chargers are, I don’t see the need for an aux battery anymore.

I’m also running an ARB single (actually it’s a Chinese knockoff) under the hood and it’s been great. Used it 5 times in the past week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94