LR3 tires

Eric K

Observer
OK, lets play nice. :} Anyways I know that tires cause a lot of arguments here, but I need new ones. Mostly I don't get to do much off road fun, so I would really like tires that do well around town, and on long road trips, but can also go out on some moderate off road trails as well. Hopefully I am heading to southern Utah this spring (which is a thousand miles of highway driving one way) and there will be some off roading there. Anyone have some tires that they have done really well with similar usage needs?

2006 LR3 stock 18 inch rims

Eric K

Observer
I'll have to look those up, since posting I did a lot of tirerack review searching and so far Yokohama Geoland HT, Cooper Discoverer AT3, and Firestone Destination AT2 all show up with good ratings.

OregonGX

I have the Falken AT/3 on my LR3 and the AT Trail on my L322 Range Rover. High marks for both, you decide how much offroad bias you want.

Eric K

Observer
I have the Falken AT/3 on my LR3 and the AT Trail on my L322 Range Rover. High marks for both, you decide how much offroad bias you want.
that's where I am curious, it's going to be almost all on road (just not much cool off road in my area). So is this quiet and comfy for AT tires or generally quiet and comfy?

Currenty running BFG K02 AT tires with the E load rating - honestly I can't believe how not loud they are given the tread, but the extra weight costs highway power in 6 gear, and 1mpg. From the local garbage transfer station scale I know my rig alone about is 7K lb, and I can't commit to having 4 wheels on the ground. I have driven cross country twice and wife wasn't bothered by any noise. LR3 seems pretty well nvh insulated.

All of that said:
I'd recommend the falkens as an excellent choice, or Toyo open country at3 are reported to be relatively quiet and available in an in-between C load rating if you tow.

Frankly it sounds like you just need sidewall protection against the rocks, so maybe anything with shoulder blocks and/or a decent spare? Avoid airing down etc. LR3 generally plows through anything

Dino6912

OK, lets play nice. :} Anyways I know that tires cause a lot of arguments here, but I need new ones. Mostly I don't get to do much off road fun, so I would really like tires that do well around town, and on long road trips, but can also go out on some moderate off road trails as well. Hopefully I am heading to southern Utah this spring (which is a thousand miles of highway driving one way) and there will be some off roading there. Anyone have some tires that they have done really well with similar usage needs?

2006 LR3 stock 18 inch rims

Dino6912

You can't go wrong with either the BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO2's or Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's. 265/65R18. I've had them both on my 2012 LR4 and I have zero complaints. I've used both tires on dirt/sand desert trails, mountain trails and snow. Out of all the environments deep soft sand was the most difficult. But I made it through the stuff and lived to tell the tale. Putting that aside they were great on every other trail and the tires performed superbly. They both come with a 50,000-mile tread warranty and they both carry the 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake (3PMSF) rating. Another tire to consider is the MT Baja Boss A/T. I am likely going to get those tire next. Same gig, 50,000 mile warranty and 3PMSF rated. I hope you find this post helpful. Dino

Howski

I recently installed Toyo Open Country AT3 and have been very pleased with them thus far. For the HSE or LR4 folk they’re available in the 255/60/19 size which I run

Reactions: 454

OliverPhotograph

Here are three tire options you can consider:

Michelin LTX A/T2 Tire
Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar Tire
BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 Tire

MontySquareo

+1 for Michelin LTX at2, they're good tires on and off road. I've been considering milestar Patagonia a/ts, or the Patagonia x/t. they're Taiwan tires, but they have good reviews and are common and easy to get

douglastic

X4 for the Falken.
265/60R18 XL specifically. Full size spare will fit underneath easily in this size.
You really should have XL rating (or higher) for the LR3, regardless of the brand you choose.

I have over 50k on mine, and still going! I do a 5-tire rotation every 5k miles.
They are snow rated, and great on and off-road. Quiet and comfortable, yet capable.

catmann

I know the OP must have already installed tires, but I wanted to add that I had the Falken's and loved them as well, but when I needed new tires they were backordered. I got the sister tire from the parent company, Sumitomo, called the Encounter and they have been equal or better on road. The look is slightly less agressive than the WildPeak, but I think it is basically the same tire compound and thus similar performance, and they were less expensive as well...This was in the 265/60/18 SL 110T size, but they also have a 265/65/18 SL 114T version. It is a SL tire, but they are more than sufficient if you plan to mostly stay on road and not load up to the gills with people/cargo and/or tow at max capacity for extened distances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier

Members online