LR3 Steering wheel upgrade (2011 RRsport wheel)

morrisdl

Adventurer
This is old hat on the UK forums, but I have never seen reference to it here. My cruise control buttons wore out from too much IDDtool use probably. I found lots of threads about bad switches and some bad clock springs, but no wheel upgrades. LR wanted more $$$ for the cruise controls switch pack than I could buy a whole heated RRS steering wheel for on ebay. I suspected from the fault, that my problem was a stuck switch so I haven't replaced the clock spring to support heated feature yet. Hard to justify the pricy clock spring in warm VA. The RRS Wheel is a very nice upgrade over my worn out LR3 wheel. The old airbag moved right over into the new wheel - Im lucky there is still no curling of the airbag cover top edge.

u0T70-Mo9Cq39S7mx20djLWlseSsuV8BVJWYgjHtQUMwcuyElW-DyAUksgs1ugJBybk61ZrA0LAVJQ0JBFR5nqCjECORDLOQpgP6qu_uYX-gwggVskQ9iPKf3VhrykXrLTgVzhs_CQt2h7io08KhWfmKNL6ECweic7obDaQ5PRxx_Jqs7tKppRLNq58C8EllicMK0i4gRVghCRJAQ-Zt0JQ2JJi6YzbwgBVZMB4kEzTU8KkL1gnNrby8t7Q0IUWOIn_tMVyYmgJg-6MSb2gCGaRwLDgmZ-LWNChE4a9WcSkNJIX9j8s73Dq8KjtZeUqxiY9VNMQHf7WLaOavP50K34s0mDU1ErTXGLV_eklGA0TE7DiHMMSdqmQAYlo95hXdT-NW1VwZ9cGVoHDTQrStFznerBn7_tc8N7UZeuxHQ3ofPV0XhBoU3jRK5almFuQdBNw_OQS0dgI_ua2uoGqj4BE-_JkfkDgdSXcfQtZphdBnVNOIS-KUCUl9mxsrlp7irKMCru2r24GSnaTRuOJAw_Qz2XoHftBrk6Rbdx00RJtt6zaV4thPUASCPGH4q0AJ_xP3AOLQGPU3rjL4JtbD8MU7_DTBwhPANPsSUud6G4K9MGE6mRx3VJWfYtj7QFRTo87WR0YLE9J3H47AfFi8e1mGHxoCsWZY9A9jH52Z9FQ=w820-h794-no-tmp.jpg

Need new circut boards from here to make all the buttons and switches work:
http://blackbox-solutions.com/shop/category/steering-wheel-conversion
Works on most 2010-2012 Lr4 or RRS Wheels.

05WBwco-zWe-4RFntZr2_kooVRzoR0SVj2H8uU0u5XZ70IEGEpnTqGAUJNkR8qqAxq6lazLTBEP-E8c08BeJAXWpYSpZncKwCSBH4Vjc3t5A2er9XvAvcscTuQEbwodyy1gp3AXirwS8XbARM000xGGztXPQZGX2aFQRS0djOJ67XaTK33qytG--MyTZmVYPyZhlTPE9lFxYXiM7m8fdNk5FLy8opCMo-tC-3JzDM_oWKdNOXRhLjtoSi0Rnvmf8zOOpbEarCoXgIz7nO3Pz9DD3fu4ZDcUEdN51bkYqgUWUpe_hsjcZODe1k-earBSRVdcf1LVZjKJbaeYuQJIHEltfKlTRX-p_nuq5LT2OMOF9f-vttGP9CIfyRQfJfua-oHfroqYOHtVefSjhFl29fyv4Zw2BACLtttMjvgNJemWsdGupyIYRlC5qdSZQI9dugL-eOe6tt21yGgPgnVjO0EZlltdEenNnY4hhCfd2OlmKEX5RzD6ztSAXeSxOWT250loTLgXIf8IqLmMUx3qDiuxgd5TbajxkfziEdiCIrsciHVLJXdV0PmnOyu0RQxVuq3ZFNB7JXsI1tQ1LdTNZDr7gJxgyHk_L3YLYwp7WYUVfnq3AsCqa3w=w1059-h794-no-tmp.jpg

Its nice having the volume and next track controls on both sides of the wheel now.

how long did it take you to solder in the new circuit boards and make everything work? Is there any new capability on the upgraded wheel you can gain buy doing this? Reason I ask is I have the worn spot on my 12 0'clock portion of the wheel, probably cuz I am always creeping through the hood in Hawaii and gotta look dope doing so! hahahaha!

Just curious as this might be a welcomed addition since I have more to choose from if I can't find a good LR3 wheel.

I am assuming it came with all switches, etc....? Was it new or used?

Thanks,

E

morrisdl

Adventurer
how long did it take you to solder in the new circuit boards and make everything work?

No soldering required. the new wheel came with most of the wires needed. The new switch circuit boards come with instructions how to swap them in. Hardest part was the 2011 RRS wheel i bought didnt come with the thin white plug to connect to the clockspring (steering column), so I have to pop out the pins from my old plug and reconnect them on the new wheel. The new wheel has different color wires than the LR3. This is the correct sequence for LR4/RRS wheel:

normal_new_not_ok.jpg

Is there any new capability on the upgraded wheel you can gain buy doing this?

On the new wheel, the Up/Down on BOTH sides controls the volume. Left/Right buttons on both sides scrolls though stations or songs. All the other buttons work and function as expected. the unlabeled button under the phone controls is for Land Rover voice commands. I haven't used the features in years.

Reason I ask ... I have the worn spot on my 12 0'clock portion of the wheel...

Mine was warn there too. I blame the sun, but maybe I unconsciously roll gangster too.

I am assuming it came with all switches, etc....? Was it new or used?

Seller accepted $300 offer on ebay. There are others and they are all open to offers. Looks almost new. Came with everything but that one plug that I had to scavenge off my old wheel. This one has the white plug mine was missing, but the leather looks worse. If i had a spare bag of cash laying around, I woud have bought this one (flappy paddles and adaptive cruise controls):

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252210389814?ul_noapp=true

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior