LR3 Steering wheel button issues

NCLRbear

Adventurer
Hello everyone- This question goes out to all the LR3/4 owners out there. I've been having some issues with the buttons on my steering wheel, mainly the ones that control the stereo. Sometimes when I hit one of the buttons it does something completely different than what its supposed to do, such as if I hit the button to change a radio station or a track on a cd it raises or lowers the volume. They never do nothing so its not like its a connection thing. I asked my mechanic about it and he said that sounded funny. Also it only happens sometimes. Most of the time it works fine. Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone have any ideas?

Derel1cte

Adventurer
Hello everyone- This question goes out to all the LR3/4 owners out there. I've been having some issues with the buttons on my steering wheel, mainly the ones that control the stereo. Sometimes when I hit one of the buttons it does something completely different than what its supposed to do, such as if I hit the button to change a radio station or a track on a cd it raises or lowers the volume. They never do nothing so its not like its a connection thing. I asked my mechanic about it and he said that sounded funny. Also it only happens sometimes. Most of the time it works fine. Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone have any ideas?

I had the same issues. I removed the airbag and then took the control panels out of the wheel. then used a bit of SOS pad and some rubbing alchohold to clean off the copper contacts. Reassembled and it works perfect again.

NCLRbear

Adventurer
I had the same issues. I removed the airbag and then took the control panels out of the wheel. then used a bit of SOS pad and some rubbing alchohold to clean off the copper contacts. Reassembled and it works perfect again.

Thanks Ill have to try this, although disconnecting the airbag sounds scary. I know I've got to disconnect my battery's and let it sit and drain whatever charge is still in the car first.

Derel1cte

Adventurer
Thanks Ill have to try this, although disconnecting the airbag sounds scary. I know I've got to disconnect my battery's and let it sit and drain whatever charge is still in the car first.

Yeah, just disconnect the battery. I let it sit for 5 minutes after and had no issue. I didn't have an airbag tool but i was able to make do with a straightened clothes hanger with a tight hook bent onto the end. Once you have the airbag loose all the connectors and screws are pretty obvious. 4 of the screws are on the back side of the wheel. I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure they were torqs T20 or T25?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRhuCXmfr44 <- That video was really helpful, I did NOT remove the wheel from the car, you can get the faceplate and buttons off without taking the whole wheel out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online