Lr3: snow chains or cables. Anyone have preferences?

LKLK

As the title says. Im considering cables because of my modified size. What are your thoughts? Go!

Ray_G

Explorer
I'd lean towards a good set of snow tires-potentially just using a set of commonly avail 19's-vice throwing chains/cables on to oversized tires.
It occurs to me that oversized tires + chains/cables + EAS could make for a recipe for fun-but that's conjecture on my part.

TOUGE

I have 275/65R18 BFG Ko2 on my LR3 and I have the RUD/Grip 4x4 thinnest chains and they rub the upper control arm. I pretty much only carry them for all the places that say "Must Carry Chains" even thought he Ko2 are blizzard rated. I live in Socal so the only snow I have seen was in Sequoia NP and going to Mammoth for snowboarding and the K02s did pretty decent.

Alloy

I don't buy cables because once used I'm never sure how long they last and I've seen a stopped semi trailer with cables slide 2' sideways into the curb.

With a set of snow (I use 36") chain pliers chains can be built / modified from sets bought on Ebay or Craiglist or parts online.

The V bar chains for our trailer are 18 years old. These were built from set of chains I bought for a 1985 (6.9L) F250.

I never buy chains with cams preferring instead to use bunji cords.

On the truck we have double (cross chains on 2nd vs. 4th link) duty. The additional cross chains were taken off chains picked up on Craigslist.

The additional cross chains take the bump out of the ride but add allot to the weight so additional bunji cords are needed (1 1/2" mud flap clearance) to keep them in place.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
On road or off road use?
Chains when only chains will do.
This is the fundamental question. Cables work fine for marginal conditions on pavement, we have a set of Thule cables for our plain Jane FWD Jetta that work great for that. Easy to put on, don't take up a ton of space. But I have chains for the truck primarily because of @NASDIESEL's point. I run KO2 and they are acceptable on packed snow and icy roads without aids but cables aren't much use in mud and unconsolidated snow, so if you need chains nothing else will do.

Red90

Adventurer
On road. Cables if you need to have something.

Off road you need "real" chains and the tire clearance to use them. All of the light duty stuff breaks and that can cause damage and strand you. I live where it is winter seven months of the year and off roading on chains is the only way to go. The trails can be solid ice.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Get both. Cables for street use. Chains for mud. They're cheap.

Good tires won't eliminate the need for either. I just use chains, because I don't struggle on the street at all, in my AO.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Nokian hakkap... LT2 studded ;) although the non-studded are probably the best non-studded snow tire you could put on the rover.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior