Lr3 rear hatch leak??

Since it seems that most issues that pop up with these rigs are reoccurring things. Just noticed after some big storms here in northern California, a wet spot in my trunk on the right side. I think I'm getting a leak from the rear hatch glass. I have yet to pull off the molding to have a look at it.

Curious if this is a common thing with a straight forward fix?

krick3tt

Adventurer
also check the top of the seal, often leaves and twigs lodge in the space above the hatch as there is a lot of room up there for debris to set. could be that water is getting in from below where the seal to the winch for the tire is located as you go through water. the light is an obvious location for water intrusion that most would not think of, as Camped has mentioned.

Campndad

Essayons!!
I found mine when I took it thru a car wash as the light was cracked, I could see water coming thru. Might me a good idea to have someone sit back there and go thru a car wash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catmann

I have a small crack in my third brake light and when it rains hard I get a few spits of rain down the inside of the rear hatch glass. Looks like it can be considered a 'common issue' :)

Seems like its not an easy swap, like I need an Auto Glass shop to glue it in. The crack is about 4ins long. I'm thinking about just super glueing the crack.

Al Blue4.6l

I've had issues with my 3rd brake light for years due to tiny cracks on the top surface. I fixed it for a while with superglue, but its back leaking again. Thinking about sanding my prior fixes off and spraying the top of it with plasti-dip or something similar.

catmann

I have not tried anthing on mine yet, but perhaps a small piece of paint protection film (Suntek, etc) would do the trick, at least for 5 years or so?

Jwestpro

Explorer
I have not tried anthing on mine yet, but perhaps a small piece of paint protection film (Suntek, etc) would do the trick, at least for 5 years or so?

I like this idea. Just cover the whole top of the plastic fixture. I'll try to be more careful with mine because this sounds like a real PITA if it cracks.
Honestly I've never read anywhere about anyone having water ingress in the hatch zone so I don't know if it's really all that "common".

You can scuff it with sand paper and use Hysol or get epoxy resin from any Marine store or Home Depot or Lowes.

My third brake light is definitely cracked and I worry about the same thing but plan replace it I think; that's what I get for standing on it like an idiot.

BMWJNKY

I’d cover the whole lens in clear paint protection film. I did this for my 80 series that had a hole in a tail lamp and it worked great. If you decide to replace the whole 3rd brake light there are DIY’s on YouTube and my local autozone had the correct windshield glue for glueing the replacement in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles