LR3 Purchase Advice

caleb

I'm thinking about buying an LR3, and I'm hoping you might be able to help me understand what to keep an eye out for.

I'd like to find an HSE circa 2005 with 125-140k for <$5k.

I'm aware of the air suspension issues - both the shocks and the compressor - and the possibility of converting to coils. Is there any way to check for slow leaks, or assess their remaining useful life?

Are there other issues to be sure to check in an LR3 of this vintage?

My use will mostly be as an adventure-mobile (fishing, hunting, camping) in our national forests. I have two Rover dealers in town, plus one independent shop.

Thanks for any cautions, suggestions, or advice.

Eric K

Observer
If the LR3 is at a used car lot, you could go there after close on a Saturday and measure mid-wheel to fender on all four tires, then come back sunday night and measure again. Most lots are closed on Sunday, so you would be able to tell if the shocks went down over that 24 hour period. Private owner, that's going to be trickier.

NorthwestDriver

Finding that low miles on an ‘05, and for less than $5k sounds difficult, though anything is possible. I second the advice of sticking to later years, though I would further limit it to ‘08-‘09.

The air systems can last a long time, you still see ones with original shocks and compressors now that hold air well. Fixing those problems isn’t too complex. In my opinion the biggest failure point is electronics due to water leaks.

A.J.M

Explorer
My 05 is still on air with 204,*** miles on it.

i changed the struts at 175,*** as they were getting tired.

the air suspension was one of my favourite parts of the car and it’s one I’ll be keeping when the cars restoration is done.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
The Air is not hard to work on at all. In a lot of ways it is easier than a traditional suspension. I just got a set of Used LR4 Air Coils off Ebay with 45k on them for about $450 and am vary happy with the turn out...

krick3tt

Adventurer
If you can take the LR to the independent shop and have them look it over, for the money you will pay to have it checked it will be worth it. A little spent going in can save you lots after the purchase. It is over 15 years old and may have issues that a visual will not tell you.
I have an 2007 that had massive engine issue that could not be seen even with a computer check. Cost almost as much to fix as it cost me.
Check the thing out and if you have service records you are way ahead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles