LR3 Owners: Yes, you can get a $16 Replacement Key

Silmarillion

Observer
I don't know if anyone mentioned this before... I purchased the ebay key and had it cut at ace. It ripped itself apart the first time I tried turning it in the ignition! Literally every piece came apart. I guess I shouldn't be surprised - it was $16. Cutting it cost $15! I took it back into ace and found an absolutely tiny machine screw to plug into the only hole I could find - it seems to be holding together now. Going to reprogram it when I find my other key.

Silmarillion

Observer
Programmed the keys using the IID tool tonight. All three are working fine. Interested to see if this new one holds up or rips itself apart again sometime soon.

TheMadnesss

Just to be clear: without the IID Tool, can you program these somehow? (This all sounds too good to be true! The thought of not having to pay LR $600 for a key fills me with childish glee.)

DVD

Adventurer
I posted about my cheap key replacement and IID Tool reprogramming on another thread. Still working fine for me after 6 mo or so - I got two.
Look at it this way, IID Tool is close to a must have for these vehicles, and you depreciate it right away.

Blaise

Just to be clear: without the IID Tool, can you program these somehow? (This all sounds too good to be true! The thought of not having to pay LR $600 for a key fills me with childish glee.)

Exactly correct. I have my $16 key still, I use it exclusively with my original as the backup.

johnsoax

Adventurer
I bought a new case from Amazon for $12. Pried open my messed up key, and put the guts, and the key blade in the new case, closed the new case, and now it is as good as new. No programing at all, as it is still my original key.

Attachments

• Key 1.JPG
    Key 1.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Key 2.JPG
    Key 2.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 13

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke