LR3 Owners: Yes, you can get a $16 Replacement Key

Blaise

Just wanted to make sure everyone sees this LOUD N CLEAR.

Yes, the cheap sub $20 (I paid $16 for mine) keys on amazon work. No affiliation, just want to make sure the community is aware.

Buy it, pay your local locksmith to cut it (I paid the guy next to my grocery store, nothing fancy), then take 10 seconds to program it via IIDT.

http://a.co/d/i9kXv0g

Boom. Happy motoring. I'm really happy stashing my single OE key so I don't need to worry about losing it.

Attachments

• 48417423_10118256054222884_4064255504128409600_o.jpg
    48417423_10118256054222884_4064255504128409600_o.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 74

keeper1616

Observer
Huh - that formfactor is different than my LR4 key - the cut part is removable on mine. For $20, may be worth a gamble at some point though.

Blaise

Huh - that formfactor is different than my LR4 key - the cut part is removable on mine. For $20, may be worth a gamble at some point though.

Whoops! Maybe LR3 only then? Sorry I stupidly assumed that the LR4 also had a normal key.

Abran

Observer
In a sense, yes. Does the description the seller listed say rechargeable? The symbol on the back is a part of the mold that all aftermarket remote cases have. In order to get it for $16, they probably couldn't afford pay for a new mold(an embossed feature on a mold cannot be removed, only embossed features can be added and vice versa).

Either way, you can just buy another one.

I thought they were great and started offering to customers, but after having so many dead battery returns, I opted out. Open it up and compare the circuit board of the 2, you will see right away that the $16 is much more basic.

Blaise

In a sense, yes. Does the description the seller listed say rechargeable? The symbol on the back is a part of the mold that all aftermarket remote cases have. In order to get it for $16, they probably couldn't afford pay for a new mold(an embossed feature on a mold cannot be removed, only embossed features can be added and vice versa).

Either way, you can just buy another one.

I thought they were great and started offering to customers, but after having so many dead battery returns, I opted out. Open it up and compare the circuit board of the 2, you will see right away that the $16 is much more basic.

So here's a question: What happens when the battery dies? Do you lose the remote, or also lose the ability to start the car?

Abran

Observer
It will still start the car. To replace the battery you have to unsolder the existing off the board and replace with the same. It's different from the OEM remote battery if I recall.

xtracrispy

Does anyone know if the Lr3 flip key would work for an L322? I’m wanting a second key and I like the flip style.

Looks like I would lose the lift gate open button, but otherwise it seems nicer.

krick3tt

Adventurer
You may not be able to open the door if the battery is dead but you can, once in, start the vehicle. Read the manual to know how to get into the thing without the remote. It is in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles