LR3 owners sound off, which tires?

morrisdl

Adventurer
You can always use the air suspension and gravity to assist. I put wheel under and winch up as far as it can easily, then blocks under the spare tire, and lower the truck onto it. My hitch has to be coerced to lock in the same way because the oversized spare it slightly in the way.

mass

Observer
Talking spare-wheel deflation/fitment:

Will a 275/65/R18 fit (deflated) in the spare well [with, or without heat shield removal as discussed]?

Looking to get a swing-away eventually but need to know if that interim period will be my spare underneath (as preferred) or in my cargo bay.

Looking at the TOYO Open Country MT or NITTO Ridge Grappler; if anyone has any additional feedback on these two.

I know you've said using the suspension to assist in fitting, but I want it to be able to be retrieved while I'm out on a trail, if necessary... afraid forcing it in will counter that ability.

Looking at the TOYO Open Country MT or NITTO Ridge Grappler; if anyone has any additional feedback on these two.

Just out of my own knowledge, why Toyo MT and a Nitto AT? Two different animals from what I can tell. Just trying to get your thought process and proposed use?

I can speak to Nitto with the Terra Grappler but not the Ridge. Yes different tires but very much the same compound and build. I've had a lot of punctures and not really attributed to hard use or abuse. In my opinion, Nitto is not your best option. Given the choice again, it will be BFG or Cooper for any MT or AT option. If you can afford the compromise in price over quality, you will not be disappointed. Matter of fact, the amount of replacement tires at low mileage I could have easily afforded BFG at the time and regret it.

I have a write up in this thread somewhere on my experiences with Nitto. Great tire on the road and light dirt travel......otherwise I would look elsewhere.

Hope this helps. Sorry I can't speak to the exact tire or the spare stuffing issue.

My 17" wheel mod will surely be BFG or Toyo once I know the exact size I will need.

morrisdl

Adventurer
I couldnt get a new LT275/65r18 Duratrac to fit, but 50% worn fits just fine. I ran the spare of my 1st set in the back for a while. I also didnt know about the dishsoap trick back then. I use a cinderblock under thee spare and drop the suspension from (offroad to access) onto the spare.

unseenone

Explorer
Here is a brief update on the Ko2 installed. Now about 10,000 miles on them. They have performed flawlessly in snow, and torrential rains. They definitely has been a game changer with respect to stable traction in severe conditions. I'm very happy with them so far. Running the E rated 265x60x18 size on the LR3. They have a bit more flex than the Nitto, so on road dry handling is a bit more loose, it's a happy trade off for the traction.

sunrisehiker

Adventurer
What do you running a Ko2 in terms of front and rear inflation ? I just purchased a Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX in 265 60 18, but cannot get any specific info from their costumer relations team regarding recommended pressure ?

unseenone

Explorer
What do you running a Ko2 in terms of front and rear inflation ? I just purchased a Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX in 265 60 18, but cannot get any specific info from their costumer relations team regarding recommended pressure ?

I did the same exercise and got information all over the map. I settled and am happy with 42-44 Front, 46 Rear.. Use the tire bulge to gauge how even the load is. Bear in mind the 265x60x18 tires I have are E rated, and I am pulling a 3000lb trailer at times. I wasn't able yet to go with Nitrogen, so more regular pressure checking is needed.

You probably will lose around 1psi for every 10 degrees in temperature drop. I factored that in, filling at around 70-80 degrees. If I go into below freezing, the pressure will be lower, which is good. I hope this helps.. Let me know how you make out.

Last edited:

GORM

Adventurer
I got a very used 265/65r18 under my 3 without too much effort other than deflating to about 20 psi.

JoeMcD

I have been running General grabber X 3 in 275/65 r18 for a few months, I'm very happy with them. Great off road, pretty quiet on road.
16807340_10211778239355831_4716443640596805232_n.jpg
IMG_8074.jpg
IMG_8083.jpg
IMG_8073.jpg

Awesome. Keep us posted. General is a great tire in the offroad race community so I expect nothing but greatness! Of course those guys get to change tires every few hundred miles...haha

morrisdl

Adventurer
Im due for a new set and looking to try something more aggressive than the duratracs. Not sure if it will be these Grabbers or Nitto Trail Grappler.

shedlock2000

Observer
Sorry to resurrect an old thread and ramble on a bunch, but I thought I should weigh in with some thoughts and some of my experiences:

I have run Duratrac 255/55/19s for 2 years; they have 50,000 miles on them and are about 2/3rds worn (ish). I have occasion to do a lot of miles over every kind of terrain -- however, I am not much into the rock crawling thing, so the tyres have not had much in the way of that sort of activity. My rig is set up for expedition and is quite heavy; it includes a FR roof rack (which is invariably loaded to the gunnels), two kids, a dog, and all of the accoutrements for that kind of stuff.

I live in ice-ridden Alberta, and for 6 moths of the year I run on pretty much solid ice and snow; the other 6 months of the year I run mostly on tarmac, gravel roads, and greasy slippy mud or muskeg. The performance of my LR3 has been dreadful on everything but pavement when compared to my '81 RRC. On mud, the tyres clog up quickly (but do clear), and she just sits there; on snow and ice, the tyres just spin up, and she just sits there; in deep snow, she starts off with great gusto...... then just sits there like a big fat beached whale. In fact, other than on the highway, she is generally as nimble as a blue whale in the Sahara. Now, I think that this is possibly a function of her weight, but also of the tyres (I have never had a Land rover -- and I have owned 42 -- that has spun all tyres up on 4 inches of snow on a slightly rutted field and had to winch out). I had the occasion to hit up a slightly boggy mud/gravel road yesterday, and was scared to death that she would strand me in the middle of a 6" puddle of water with a muddy bottom. I have never before felt unsure about the performance of a Land Rover product. For sure, this is probably part technique and a lack of experience with the TRS and the LR3, but I have driven 2,000,000 miles in 147 countries and competed in the RTV nationals for three years in the running -- so I am not new to this.

What I can say about the Duratracs is that they clear mud out pretty well (though that doesn't seem to always help much in the forward motion department) and spit muskeg out with great velocity -- as they do gravel and shale. However, they become much poorer in mud/snow when the corners are nocked off; by 1/3rd worn they become less good at clearing and generally quite unable to bite into much. On snow and ice, they are a general liability unless aired down to 20 psi or so. Though the snow and ice setting of the TRS is pretty good for ice and the forwards backwards traction is not terrible on new tyres, cornering is much less successful; LR3s seem to be less gifted in terms of steering.

In short, I am terribly disappointed in the performance of the LR3, but also know that part of this issue is that I make compromises in that I really need two sets of tyres (winter and summer) and in the knowledge that one tyre does not well suit every terrain. What I can say about the Duratrac's, is that they wear really well, do not suffer from aqua-plaining, are great on the pavement and in the mountain roads in the summer, are pretty unstoppable on stony or firm and dry ground, and look super.

I am moving to a 20" tyre this week -- and am quite hesitant to go to the 275/55/20s due to my concerns that a greater tyre width will compound all the areas in which the Duratrac is bad (namely, snow, mud, and ice). I am also concerned at having to make the heater hose and liner mods in order to make 275/55/20's fit. The new rim (photo enclosed below) is a 20x8.5 RRS rim with a 950kg load rating and a +47mm offset. I am hoping to run with only 1/2" electronic lift -- if that. Out of preference, I would go to a 255/65/19 -- but that isn't offered. My girlfriend also really likes the look of the 20" over the 18" (as do I).

I would like to stay with the 255 width -- but also would also like a slightly bigger sidewall to balance the aesthetics of the 20" rim. I need a snowflake and mountain tyre (so my options are, therefore, also restricted), and I hate BF Goodrich's KO pattern (I ran the original pattern 20 years ago in the UK and found it dreadful on all surfaces -- including pavement). I have been considering a Cooper, Nitto, or Falken tyre with a snowflake on them -- but, and to be frank, I shall probably end up back with the Duratrac, as have not read anything in this extraordinarily comprehensive and interesting thread that would change my mind. This is compounded by the fact that the tyre size I really want is a 255/60/20. What I need is a 255/60/20 BF Goodrich Trac Edge (what an outstanding tyre they were) :smiley_drive:.

IMG_5495.jpgIMG_7828.jpgs-l225.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles