LR3 owners sound off, which tires?

XJLI

Adventurer
Yup, be real with yourself. I decided against going to 18s and getting a heavy LT tire when I’m 80-90% on road. I wish I could get a “tough” highway tire like the LTX in 255/60/19, but I’m going with Toyo AT3s.

krick3tt

Adventurer
gabrielef,
I do like your style. Rarely do I ask people I don't know what to get.
Kind of like asking a barber if you need a haircut.
I just get what I like, wether it is roof racks, sleeping bags or the vehicle I drive and the tires I put under it. Although I did ask my friend about the different Duratraks and got the ones with a stiffer sidewall so airing down is not so much of an issue and my vehicle is so heavy. Since we travel together so often and his perform well.
Weighed the vehicle at a roadside weigh station fully kitted out for a two week adventure and it was 7800 pounds, bit of a shock.

gabrielef

gabrielef,
I do like your style. Rarely do I ask people I don't know what to get.
Kind of like asking a barber if you need a haircut.
I just get what I like, wether it is roof racks, sleeping bags or the vehicle I drive and the tires I put under it. Although I did ask my friend about the different Duratraks and got the ones with a stiffer sidewall so airing down is not so much of an issue and my vehicle is so heavy. Since we travel together so often and his perform well.
Weighed the vehicle at a roadside weigh station fully kitted out for a two week adventure and it was 7800 pounds, bit of a shock.

The weight load is definitely on my mind and when I do air down, I usually do 20 front and 25 rear.I do t want to go too low and negate the role my sidewalks are supposed to perform.

I guess I’ve had good success in my choice with the KO2’s. I don’t need an M/T tire for where I live in California, and since this is my daily, I love how relatively quiet they are for being an offroad tire. It’s nice to know that I can go tackle moderate terrain with no problem. I don’t have armor so I’m not really going on trails with big boulders and what not. The tires wear great and I get an alignment every couple months plus keep up on the proper tire pressures.

I think that getting feedback from the community on tires is great, cause you find out quickly which tires to absolutely avoid, but in the end it comes down to where you live and what terrain/road you’ll be on. For a fact I know that my KO2’s may not be the best choice for the rainy Northwest. The decision is in the details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al Blue4.6l

The weight load is definitely on my mind and when I do air down, I usually do 20 front and 25 rear.I do t want to go too low and negate the role my sidewalks are supposed to perform.

I guess I’ve had good success in my choice with the KO2’s. I don’t need an M/T tire for where I live in California, and since this is my daily, I love how relatively quiet they are for being an offroad tire. It’s nice to know that I can go tackle moderate terrain with no problem. I don’t have armor so I’m not really going on trails with big boulders and what not. The tires wear great and I get an alignment every couple months plus keep up on the proper tire pressures.

I think that getting feedback from the community on tires is great, cause you find out quickly which tires to absolutely avoid, but in the end it comes down to where you live and what terrain/road you’ll be on. For a fact I know that my KO2’s may not be the best choice for the rainy Northwest. The decision is in the details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've gone up to 25/28 when I air down. Heavy ass trucks.

XJLI

Adventurer
I've run BFG ATs on almost every vehicle I've owned and have always been very happy with them.

Wander

Expedition Leader
Cooper Discoverer AT3 265/75/18. Also have these on my D2 . Great on east coast trails, not loud on the road (slight rumble) . Look pretty good also, not over the top. The LR3 has spacers and I do get a light rub at full lock, but they’re also brand new. No such issues on the D2. Both have a 2+ lift.

Tooch

I've read through this whole thread and still undecided on tires... I think I've narrowed it down to either the KO2's or the Cooper AT3 LT's, anyone have experience with both? I don't plan to use them in the winter so snow and ice performance doesn't matter much to me, however we do get some good rainstorms and random snow just about any time of year here in western Canada (BC/Alberta) so they need to be decent in the rain on pavement and handle a bit of mud.

I wasn't a fan of the original BFG AT/KO, had them on an old truck and they put me into the guardrail driving cautiously in winter conditions. Were decent on the trail though. I've heard the KO2s are much improved in terms of on road use and rubber compound but have no firsthand experience with them.

The truck will be used for mild to moderate off roading, but the tires also need to be able to handle well on the road as we frequently do highway trips of 500-600km+ (during non-Covid times!)

Any insight would be much appreciated. I'm leaning towards the Coopers since they seem to get good reviews and they look like they would be quieter on the road just based on tread pattern, but don't want to give up too much in terms of toughness and off road traction. And I have to admit the KO2's look cooler with the more aggressive sidewalls, but function over form!

Thanks!

XJLI

Adventurer
My experience with Cooper AT3s is that the sidewalls are weak and the on road traction is so-so. Off road traction both wet and dry was as good as BFG AT KO2s. Noise was similar. I would go BFG over the Cooper all day. I am always impressed with them, even back in the day when they were still "Radial All-Terrains" and people said the sidewalls were weak, the two times I punctured a sidewall (one Radial AT and one KM1) another tire wouldn't have been better. I sliced a Cooper AT3 on a wet rock, and pinch popped another driving through a mud hole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior