LR3/LR4 trip toolkit - what's in yours?

eloist

Adventurer
Just curious what you guys have in your toolkits when you take a trip.
Not worried about recovery gear/deflation gear and stuff like that, more like what sockets/wrenches/etc are a must for fixing these trucks?

I've had to touch a lot of parts of my truck in the 18 months i've owned it, but not all of them.
I'd like to make sure I'm covered should I have to make a trail repair on a section of the truck I'm not familiar with yet.

I typically carry:
- a full set of metric 3/8 sockets from 10mm - 21mm
- 3/8 ratchet
- 10mm - 18mm ratcheting wrenches
- a few 3/8 extensions
- Milwaukee cordless 3/8 impact w/ spare battery
- 1/2" breaker bar with sockets for regular lugs, and swollen ones (i have 2 currently)
- some screwdrivers
- torx set, basic sizes
- pliers, various
- adjustable wrench or two
- big zipties

... all I can think of right now, but what about you guys? Anything missing or pointless here?

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
thanks for posting the question and also what you currently carry. Been wondering about this myself. Looking forward to see how others respond as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Solis

Adventurer
Have to have the GAP tool. Also if you haven’t done it, need to make an emergency release handle for the rear lift gate/tailgate. Other than that and fuses plus what you carry you should be good for most things you can repair on the trail.

DETOUR-GP

Rockstar
I have to agree with El Solis, I have my IIDtool with me all the time. On my recent trip the suspension was not happy with the compos and 265s and sat down on the bump stops. IIDtool out, clear faults and away we go.

Ray_G

Explorer
I have been fortunate in that I haven't seen huge repairs on the trail thus far, but I have applied the same philosophy I did to my D1 tool kit to the 3; i.e. if I do a repair or a maint item I could reasonably expect to do on a trail or in a parking lot then the necessary tools stay in the kit. What you stated as your basic tools are more/less what mine are after several years of ownership. I think that's a facet of the reliability of these trucks quite frankly. All of mine neatly fits into here, about a 1510 pelican sized case.
Tool Peli laid out.jpgTool Peli packed.jpg

Other than what others have listed I'd highlight the electrical repair focused kit (strippers, crimpers, etc).

A good jack is critical, the scissors jack is crap so I just retrofitted a traditional rover bottle jack into the truck.

IID tool is an absolute must as others have noted. I frequently think of these things as a laptop on wheels.
r-
Ray

A.J.M

Explorer
I ALWAYS have the IID tool in the car. Keeps mine on its toes and on best behaviour as any huffs can be easily sorted.

You have to establish who's boss with a Landy. ;)
Mine learned quickly that bad behaviour wouldn't be tolerated.

I'm slowly building up a toolkit like Rays, I do need a decent trolley jack for it as the under armour has removed the factory jacking points so getting a tyre changed would be interesting. Have used a hi lift off the slider before while on a trail but it's not something I want to use all the time.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I plan on carrying an array of metric sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, etc. As well as anything needed to change a tire. So include torque wrench, breaker bar, and cheater bar. On long trips I always carry my safety seal plug kit. It just works. I'm looking at getting a good set of trim piece tools.

Oh, 3/8" breaker bar and codder pin puller. Both are obscure tools, but let me tell you about some MVPs. WORTH IT GET IT. Never had a car that these weren't used on. Heck even use them on my 2014 Hyundai Elantra.

Beyond that, I'm currently working on getting a GAP tool and putting together a set for jumper cables and a simple recovery kit (a spare strap and two shackles). For longer trips I'll bring my jump pack, but cables are always handy. Also for real 4x4 trips I'll have my nice 30ft strap, kinetic rope, etc. But that simple kit would work just fine if I needed to move a short distance.

I'll carry spare brake light bulbs and a brake switch. Seems like these two things will lead to all kinds of issues.

Soon I'll be doing the coolant system (truck has 110k, I believe in coolant system work at 100k on any vehicle) and at that time I'll replace the serpentine belt and pulley. I'll throw the old ones in the back just in case. Of course at this time I would make sure the T-stat housing, the plastic T-thingie, water pump, and hoses were all taken care of.

If I was driving cross country (aka, couple thousand miles), I'd carry a spare set of quality filters (Mann+Hummel or Wix, both available very reasonably priced off rock auto) and two spare ignition coils. They seem to go out in pairs. The filters, if I got into some bad dust or something, they are easy to replace. And if I had to get the oil changed somewhere, oil is easy to come by but the oil filter might be difficult. Could end up waiting forever for a shop to find a filter...and then risk it being a crap filter when it gets there. On the other hand, carrying $30 of filters when you know they are more expensive for lesser quality on the road.

A cheap small air compressor. Now this wouldn't be used for airing up and airing down, but for flat repair. A small cheap air compressor can easily fit under the 2nd row seats, and be a life saver if a tire needed to be plugged or the spare only has 5psi in it (because that seems to magically happen, lol). Obviously this wouldn't be used when off roading as I'd carry my ARB suitcase compressor.

Some sort of simple electrical kit, just to take care if wires get ****************. Get a couple of pigtails for crucial components. Pigtails for height sensors are $16 off amazon. Those are pretty vulnerable. Having a spare one of those wouldn't hurt. Try to identify the plastic clips used to hold wires and other bits of the car on. Just carry those as spares. So make sure I'd have the proper crimping tools, connectors, etc. These don't take up hardly any space and would be a life saver.

Gorilla tape and electrical tape. Self explanatory.

Otherwise, I believe that taking care of these vehicles with good preventative maintenance would thwart most issues. This is my plan for my Colorado trip this year with my LR3. But I'll be working mostly on preparation so hopefully I don't need any of this stuff. I'm going to be getting ahead on things that need to be replaced since I don't want to be wrenching on my trips.

Then again, I come from driving a 109 were everything is breaking all the time. I haven't had the LR3 for long enough to get a feel on how it'll do quality wise. But I think it'll be better than the 109.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Oh and if anyone has the workshop manual and parts book in PDF, let me know. These are AMAZING to have on hand on your phone/tablet. While I do have a hard copy of the workshop manual for my 109, I mainly use the PDF version on my phone or my iPad. I'd enjoy having the same capability for my LR3.

eloist

Adventurer
Great posts guys!

I do carry an i930 scanner device with me at all times, forgot to mention that. I haven't sprung for the IID yet, but I need to.

I also have the repair manual for an LR3 in a pdf format. PM me and I can send that over.

Keep the suggestions coming guys, this is good stuff.

Exploder
Oh and if anyone has the workshop manual and parts book in PDF, let me know. These are AMAZING to have on hand on your phone/tablet. While I do have a hard copy of the workshop manual for my 109, I mainly use the PDF version on my phone or my iPad. I'd enjoy having the same capability for my LR3.

Max,

I haven't found a single pdf that has the entire workshop manual. It's all broken out individually, which is a pain.

iowalr4

Adventurer
Here ya go guys.... My collection of D3 & D4 manuals and guides. Hope this helps :)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2790fzg09rn79es/AABHlm6yHHBC9Ib9fnpwEuo5a?dl=0

So you have the 2009 - 2011 LR4 workshop manual. I have one that is 2009-2012.

Has anyone found one that includes 2013? I have found the 09-12 one to be accurate so far, including several parts of the wiring diagrams, but I would still be interested in finding a 2013 version.

I am also trying to figure out where this type of diagram came from. Someone on the uk forums shared this.

Discovery%204%20Connector%20Quick%20Reference-X3.jpg

Exploder
As far as spares, I think you folks are overdoing it. Bulbs, a brake switch, and a Gap tool are pretty much it for me.

Cut the recommended service intervals in half and you won't need to worry with hoses, belts, pulleys, water pumps (someone was carrying TWO spare w.p.'s <head shake>), and t-stat housings.

When maintained, these are very reliable trucks.

DETOUR-GP

Rockstar
Another item that is SUPER important is a spare CR 2032 battery (for LR4 key) in case the key fob battery is low

I simply purchased one, left it in its packaging but with a scissor cut the packaging around it so its a round plastic capsule and put it in the lower glove box.Takes up no space and you have peace of mind just in case you are out on a trail and cannot start your car because the key battery is flat

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke