LR3/LR4: How to find the coveted rear locking diff

Strizzo

Explorer
It's easy on the 14-16 LR4, just look at the interior photos to see if the selector for low range is there and if there are four or five special program icons on the 4x4 panel. I've also become pretty good at determining option package from interior pics like lux/non-lux and if it has the cold weather package (heated windshield/steering wheel). I had thought the extended leather came with the lux package but found that to not necessarily be the case. friend of mine's wife has a 12 hse/lux but no extended leather package. You could also spec the 2-speed tcase individually but i bet you'd have a hard time finding one with low range and no locker.

Howski

Not to get too off topic but what’s the best way to spot a locker and/or low range on a D5 or newer RRS?

krick3tt

Adventurer
Blaise,
Thanks for pointing out that the manual is generic and might not have information concerning the inclusion of lockers. I know mine has lockers as it shows up on the screen when in off road mode.
I have an 07 HSE and I believe there is a way to tell by examining the underside near the rear of the vehicle but I am unfamiliar with the exact method.

garrycol

You might want to recheck that as it comes up on the screen even if you don't have lockers - the only way to confirm is to climb under the car and have a look for an actuator on top of the diff. The open diff does not have that actuator on top of the diff, the e diff does as per the pic.

D3 Diff Lock.jpg

My diff sounds like a General Electric TurboFan on climb out and is sure to grenade sometime down the road; at which time I will install ARB lockers.

60k+ miles on my LR3 and I would say a few thousand miles off-road since I owned it an only one time did I need a locker and I was able to get out of it without one. Bottom line, lockers are nice, they are a nice add-on when you rebuild (which you will) but they are not required and should be the last thing I would worry about on any LR3/4 if the rest of the vehicle is solid.

Don't pass up on a great overall vehicle with a great deal because it does not have a factory locker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior